| This talk page is for discussing the Huang Lee article.
This includes commenting on the article, questioning whether it is correct, or adding suggestions for improvements
Questions about GTA games, not about the wiki page itself, should be asked at Community:Questions.Remember to always add your signature to the end of your comments/replies using four tildes:
Quick question but,did they really pronounce his name like Hwang?I'm just asking cuz my friends say it like Hung.Dunno.Just wondering... . HuangLee 22:39, 15 May 2009 (UTC)
- Hmm.. The people who edited it made it more wrong than right. I'll revert it to my original statement.--Spaceeinstein 23:02, 15 May 2009 (UTC)
I must say that ther's a lot of different pronouncuations for said name.So,I don't know how they said it in GTA CW.Just how they say it to me. HuangLee 16:46, 18 May 2009 (UTC)
- The Chinese-speaking people pronounce this name only one way. I hate the English language for being inconsistent with everything. I've also heard this name pronounced in many different ways in English. Since GTA CW has only text and very little audio, people would not know how to correctly pronounce his name and many other names in the game.--Spaceeinstein 18:06, 18 May 2009 (UTC)
hung lee sound very wrong. its definatley hwang. (--GTAddict 14:27, 4 July 2009 (UTC))
Something just occurred to me. Huang is listed in the GTA 4 database (of 2008) , correct? But I thought that in Chinatown Wars (set in 2009) it was his first visit to Liberty City. How could he have committed those crimes if he wasn't even there? I guess it just goes to show that sometimes even R* make some slip ups. --LuisFernandoLopez 18:29, 5 June 2009 (UTC)
- Because this is not Huang's first trip to America?--Spaceeinstein 22:47, 4 July 2009 (UTC)
ooooooohhhhhh, rockstar make several slip ups, their games are so big they cant check EVERY nook and cranny. (--GTAddict 17:29, 5 July 2009 (UTC)) (edited because forgot to put signiature. see? everyone makes slip ups!)
- It's not a slip up. If you read the transcript for the very first mission, Huang has been in America before. He has done crimes in America before.--Spaceeinstein 17:35, 5 July 2009 (UTC)
oh. damn. GTAddict again.
"The correct pronunciation for the name Huang is Hoo-ong. People mistakenly pronounce the name Hoo-ang, which is incorrect....
Another area of confusion is the mixed use of Mandarin and Cantonese spellings in his name. Huang Lee hails from Hong Kong, where the Cantonese dialect is more commonly used, but "Huang" is written in a Romanized Mandarin spelling when "Wong" or "Wang" should be used; "Lee" is correctly Cantonese, while the Mandarin equivalent is "Li". This means Huang Lee's name may also be purely referred to as "Wong Lee" or "Wang Lee" in Cantonese and "Huang Li" in Mandarin. His early background in Hong Kong remains largely unexplained."
I disagree with the abovementioned paragraphs in the article.
First of all, I am a native Chinese speaker and it is a fact that in Mandarin, Huang is pronounced as Hoo-aang, not Hoo-ong [huang1]. H-ung, Hoo-ng or even Hoo-ang [rhyming with "twang"] is utterly wrong.
Secondly, although Chinese people from Hong Kong have surnames transliterated from dialect, their Chinese names are not necessarily dialect. For example, my Chinese name is Hong Zhen-Yang. Hong is transliterated from Dialect, but Zhen-Yang is Mandarin.
Paul H K 09:22, March 20, 2010 (UTC)
- A lot of people pronounce his name sounding like "bang" like a gunshot, which is wrong. It should sound more like "bong" instead but I have no idea how to describe it more clearer than that. Listen to video reviews of this game and you'll hear how people mispronounce his name. In pinyin, pronouncing "ang" is correct but English-speaking people usually pronounce it differently. For the second part, it is talking what Huang's name should be if it is strictly "by the book". In real life, there are discrepancies of course.--Spaceeinstein 23:18, March 22, 2010 (UTC)
Where is he mentioned in GTA IV...I do not remember.....T-888 16:39, April 2, 2010 (UTC)