The Exchange (GTA III)
- For the mission in GTA Vice City Stories, see The Exchange (GTA VCS). For the neighbourhood in Liberty City in GTA IV, see The Exchange.
Claude outside the Colombian Cartel mansion in Cedar Grove, shortly before meeting Catalina to give her the ransom money in return for Maria Latore.
|Location||Cedar Grove, Shoreside Vale, Liberty City|
Death of Claude|
Death of Maria Latore
The Exchange is a mission in and the climax of Grand Theft Auto III given to protagonist Claude by Colombian Cartel leader and ex-girlfriend Catalina from the Cartel mansion in Cedar Grove, Shoreside Vale, Liberty City. This mission is the final event in the GTA III-era timeline.
Catalina recently killed Asuka Kasen and kidnapped Maria Latore. She now wants Claude to bring $500,000 to the Cartel mansion in Cedar Grove in exchange for not having Maria killed. Claude then arrives at the mansion and hands over the money to Catalina, who lies and walks off with the money leaving Claude in the mercy of her Colombian Cartel men.
Claude, having no choice, is put under gunpoint by a Cartel gang member and decides to punch him and take the pistol dropped. After being shot at, he gets a car and exits the mansion only to find a helicopter hovering above him and flying towards the Cochrane Dam to meet Catalina, who has headed their to escape with Maria. Claude follows the helicopter all the way to the base of the dam and kills every Cartel goon on his way.
After coming halfway and nearly closing into the helicopter, Catalina leaves Maria at the loading bay, guarded by a couple of her men and enters her helicopter. Catalina's chopper fires missiles at the ground while Claude gets to Maria, kills all the Cartel men. Claude picks up a rocket launcher to shoot down Catalina. After a few initial missed shots, he successfully manages to hit the helicopter and it crashes against the dam in the water. Afterward, Claude and Maria walk together as they cross over to the other side of the dam.
While the credits are rolling on the screen Maria can be heard talking right before a gunshot, after which, she remains silent and is no longer heard. The news also report the crime scene with witness Clive Denver.
The reward for completing this mission is $1,000,000, although this is not displayed on screen as there is no mission passed message at the end of the mission. In addition, the Rhino in Phil's Army Surplus will now be unlocked and free for the player to steal.
- This is the only storyline mission in GTA III to start in Shoreside Vale.
- This mission is similar to The Sicilian Gambit in that both missions have hostages being taken to remote locations and the protagonist taking down a helicopter.
- A glitch is within Catalina's AI in the opening cutscene. She walks away from Claude after saying "Kill the idiot!" but suddenly stops and then just disappears.
- After this mission, the Colombian Cartel will be armed with AK-47s, replacing the pistols.
- This is chronologically the last storyline mission of the GTA III Era.
The Cochrane Dam during a news report.
|PC Version - GTASeriesVideos|