To Live and Die in Alderney
|This page needs to be cleaned up to meet the standards of Grand Theft Wiki.|
|To Live and Die in Alderney|
Phil Bell talking to Niko Bellic inside his office.
Death of Phil Bell|
Liquidize the Assets|
To Live and Die in Alderney is a mission in Grand Theft Auto IV given by Phil Bell to protagonist Niko Bellic. It sees you finally offloading the truckload of heroin you stole from the Triads earlier in the game (in the mission Truck Hustle). However, the operation does not go smoothly; the FIB are watching the house where the drugs are being stored and soon move in to arrest everyone involved.
Phil says it's time to shift the heroin that Phil's nephew Frankie has been "sitting on". Niko drives Phil Bell to the old mansion in Westdyke. FIB agents and police officers surround the house just as the group are about to leave. Bell calls Frankie an idiot because he let the FIB spy on the heroin.
Niko, Frankie, and Bell open Frankie's garage and get into two separate cars loaded with "horse". Niko and Frankie follow Phil on a wild chase throughout Alderney, eventually abandoning their cars and switching to a van Phil left behind the hospital.
Niko drives Phil Bell and Frankie Gallo to Pizza This... in Westdyke, where they separate and enjoy their cut of the money.
When you meet Phil at the depot he's beset with paranoia. He asks Niko to help him collect the heroin from the abandoned mansion in Westdyke and transport it to a more secure hideout. It would be a good idea to call Dwayne and ask him to send some backup before you get to the mansion, as this will make the mission a lot easier when being chased by the cops. Once you get to the old mansion, Frankie, a nephew of Phil, then puts the "horse" in two bags into two black Washingtons. Niko and Frankie get into one car, Phil in another. A swarm of FIB officers arrive. Quickly, set off and stay behind Phil as he drives. Be wary of cops that attempt to block your path. Be cautious when leaving the hideout area - the Washington handles very poorly on the dirt road leading back to the street, and it's easy to spin out, hit a tree, or otherwise get delayed long enough for you to lose Phil.
During the drive, Frankie explains why the feds were there. He has been struggling to help his sister financially with getting through college, while also having to look after his sick mother. Niko tells him to shut up, and keep the cops away from Phil. You can try doing drive-by shootings or ramming the cop cars off the road, however there are several scripted events that will also help you (one cop car will run into a bus, another will be wiped out by a truck). In fact, your priority is more to simply keep up with Phil's car than anything else (not easy considering traffic will continually block your way, the Washington corners poorly, and it also is quite susceptible to damage; if it's destroyed, the mission fails).
Halfway through the chase, Phil decides to ditch the cars in an alleyway. When you stop, grab the heroin and pull out some firepower. Eliminate any cops that are unlucky enough to get in your way; your party will not move if there are too many officers in the vicinity. (The RPG comes in handy for this, however don't use up all your ammo for reasons soon to become obvious.) After a short foot chase, the gang notice an FIB helicopter chasing them. Use a rocket launcher to take out the chopper. At this stage, Frankie might die but you won't fail the mission. If Frankie gets killed, the player must pick up the heroin that Frankie was carrying.
Get into the safe truck and lose your wanted level. Once you're home free, take Frankie (if still alive) and Phil to the pizza place in Westdyke.
- The mission takes its name from the movie To Live and Die in L.A., which also features a lengthy car chase sequence, although it differs significantly from that featured in the game.
- Frankie does not need to survive in order for the mission to be completed.
- This mission is the best mission to obtain an FIB Buffalo, as at least three arrive at Frankie's lock upn after the cutscene of the cocaine. To obtain the FIB Buffalos, kill the FIB officers and store the Buffalos in a parking space. Then go back and finish the mission.
- The FIB Buffalos will arrive, regardless of the player's current wanted level.
- Strangely when you get to the van the NOOSE Agents in the helicopter have AK-47s.
- Picking up the van may work differently depending on how the level plays out. After killing the cops in the alley way, the game tells you to proceed to the van, but Frankie and Phil may run in the opposite direction and wait on a street corner for you to run the 2-3 blocks to pick up the van (and destroy the helicopter that attacks). It seems to depend on whether the alleyway leading from the original battle is blocked or not. Either way, after destroying the helicopter and obtaining the van, you need to drive back to wherever Frankie and Phil are waiting, before losing your wanted level.
- Niko gets to keep the van after the mission ends.