GTA 2 |
GTA San Andreas
The Lost and Damned
|Vehicle type||Commercial truck|
|Body style||2-door hook-and-chain tow truck|
|Capacity||2 (driver and passenger)|
|Manufacturer||Vapid (HD Universe)|
The Tow Truck, or Towtruck, is, as implied, a name for a series of hook-and-chain tow trucks featured in Grand Theft Auto 2, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, The Lost and Damned downloadable episodic pack for Grand Theft Auto IV, and, tentatively, Grand Theft Auto V. The name of the tow truck in GTA San Andreas and The Lost and Damned are rendered in a single word, "Towtruck".
The Tow Truck debuted in GTA 2 as a towing vehicle based on the chassis of a large truck, and a cab design similar to certain large trucks in the game (including the Van, Ice Cream Van, Hot Dog Van and the G4 Bank Van); the vehicle is also available with yellow body color only. The vehicle also lacks any towing ability, unlike the Truck Cab and Truck Cab SX.
In GTA San Andreas, the Tow Truck gains the ability to tow other vehicles. This can be very useful for transporting locked cars, or special vehicles in the game. It can also tow other types of vehicles, including helicopters and airplanes. The Tow Truck, somewhat, resembles a seventh generation F-Series Ford Wrecker.
The Vapid Towtruck in The Lost and Damned and GTA V appears to be the same make as the Slamvan, which resembles a second generation Ford F-Series tow truck. However, the headlights and grille look like they are from a 1975-'79 Ford Econoline van, and the windshield and door tops awkwardly appear to be from a 1980's Ford F-Series. The Towtruck in TLAD is depicted to be worn down, with rust damage (more visible with darker body colors) and in disrepair, and has a distorted horn, much like the "beater" variants of the Emperor, Sabre, and Vigero; all Towtrucks in TLAD also bear the "Native American Engines" logos on its doors. As in GTA 2, the Towtruck is incapable of towing anything.
The GTA San Andreas and TLAD variants of the tow truck sports amber flashing lights; however, these cannot be operated by the player.
Ray Larabie's early design of GTA 2's "Tow Truck".
A "Towtruck" in GTA San Andreas (Rear quarter view).
A "Towtruck" in The Lost and Damned (Rear quarter view).
Despite being a tow truck, the Tow Truck in GTA San Andreas is very fast, but has a tad understeer, and stiff suspensions that render it unstable when negotiating uneven terrain. It is also a durable vehicle, and can even survive a collision with a Rhino (which normally blows up weaker vehicles on impact).
The Towtruck in The Lost and Damned is considerably inferior in performance, possessing average acceleration (owed largely to its light weight) and top speed (125 km/h - 78 mph), but possesses poor steering which requires the aid of brakes to corner sharply. Its rear wheel drive configuration and slightly overpowered engine also results in the Towtruck suffering from minor sliding after tight turns.
- The Tow Truck plays the following radio stations by default when entered:
- In GTA San Andreas, You can carefully back up to a police vehicle (with officers inside of it), catch it with the hook, then swing it around wildly into other vehicles, pedestrians, etc. without getting a wanted level.
- In GTA San Andreas, The tow-line usually swings around while the truck is in motion, however it goes "stiff" after being taken to a Pay N' Spray.
- The two variants of the Tow Trucks shown in the second trailer of GTA V may show possible signs of the towing system making a return, furthering the fact with the semi trucks, namely the Phantom being seen with a trailer attached.
- GTA 2
- The vehicle is only available in the game's multiplayer modes, as it cannot be found in any districts in Anywhere City or any single-player missions.
- GTA San Andreas
- Inside the Angel Pine Junkyard
- Usually seen driving around Ocean Docks and its vicinity.
- Usually seen driving around at the LVA Freight Depot, Las Venturas.
- The Lost and Damned
- Usually driving around Bohan.
- Usually driving around in Northern Alderney if you ride any of the TLAD bikes, e.g. Hexer.
- Spawns all around Alderney. Usually Berchem, Normandy, Leftwood, Alderney City, or Westdyke
- Sometimes seen driving around Northwood or North Holland