The Tram is a non-drivable cable car in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas which appears on tracks around San Fierro and in Grand Theft Auto V where it appears on tracks around Los Santos. In GTA San Andreas there is a Tram terminal in the King's district, but Trams are most usually seen in the Garcia district.
In GTA 1, accessible trams were considered early during the game's development, but wasn't finalized, possibly explaining the absence of train services in San Andreas. The accessible trams were similar to the train systems in Liberty City and Vice City.
GTA San Andreas
The Tram is based off of the single-ended variant of the "California Car" cable car, the kind which typically run on the Powell-Mason and Powell-Hyde lines of the San Francisco cable car system. There are two different Trams that operate in San Fierro, a single car variant and a double car variant. There are never any brakemen seen controlling the Tram or any passengers seen riding it, and the player cannot board or drive it. Trams can commonly be seen with their destination displayed on the sides of the cars, toward the top.
A notable aspect of the Tram, like all trains in the game, is that it is completely indestructible and cannot be stopped by obstructions. However, it can be targeted with Heat-Seeking Rocket Launchers, though they have no affect on it. Its rear is also able to catch on fire through the use of, for example, a Molotov Cocktail.
- There is a glitch involving the Tram. If the player climbs onto the Tram and takes a picture, Carl Johnson will fall into Blue Hell and, after a few moments, will land on the sidewalk beside the Tram.
- There are times when the Tram completely stops. It usually happens after accidentally appearing in a cutscene.
- A simple way to make it drivable (via modding) is to switch any train's ID number with the Tram's. When opening the "door", the whole tram moves.
- There are mods that allow the Tram to be ridden by the player and/or NPCs, seeing as it is one of the few unusable vehicles in the game.
- It turns pink with the all cars turn pink cheat.
- The Tram may have been intended to be rideable, according to a fan site questions and answers just before the release of the game.
- Fansite Q&A - GTA-SanAndreas.com