In a nutshell...
- 1 Vital information
- 2 Grand Theft Auto - how it started out for Tempest
- 3 Grand Theft Auto San Andreas - More than a game
- 4 Grand Theft Auto and Touhou - An pairing more crack than any other
- 5 Touhou GTA: List of my customized Criminal Ratings
- 6 Contact
AKA: SU_Tempest or SU-Tempest, formerly "DarkHedge"
Place of birth: France
Date of birth: 07/20/1993
Grand Theft Auto - how it started out for Tempest
It started out merely as a name I started to really hear about a lot in 2004, when San Andreas came out. I already played Vice City once and only once in the past and found that the open sandbox concept was simply amazing, but I couldn't get this at home yet, as I had yet to buy a PS2. In 2004, with one in the room ready to play, I bought the game few months after it came out. GTA San Andreas was displaying a rather rapper-gangsta story I wasn't particularly fond of (being more of a rock/metalhead than anything else), but I thoroughly enjoyed the storyline as a whole and the tons of fun of discovering a huge world, three cities and all the countryside around. GTA San Andreas has, dare I say it, changed my way of seeing and treating video games, and has changed certain aspects of my life on the long run (for example, it gave the hobby of walking alone in cities, just for the sake of discovering and self-orientation, instead of taking routinely a bus or a car).
Since GTA SA came out, I became an instant fan of the series and started buying and playing more in-depth the other games. So far, I own SA on PS2 and PC, as well as Vice City, and Vice City Stories on PS2. I owned Liberty City Stories for PS2 before, but being the second GTA I bought after SA, I found it was a MASSIVE downhill from San Andreas (they removed my planes and my swimming ability? NOOOOO). I have also discovered and utterly enjoyed GTA IV on 360 at a cousin's. For one thing, my deepest regret at the moment is my inability to play GTA IV, nor on a console (don't own any of them) or on PC (not powerful enough machine to run it properly). It is sad especially knowing IV is very high in my heart as the GTA with the deepest characters and storyline I've ever played so far (I have yet to test EFLC, but I'm sure I would love them too...)
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas - More than a game
Quite frankly, GTA SA is the best creation Rockstar Games gifted us with and for many reasons, but the most important reason is probably how easy it is to modify, tweak, and crank the game in many, many ways. This game introduced me to modding, and it introduced me to MANY types of modding. Think about it, from your regular vehicle modification, to a whole new world thanks to Total Conversions, going through weapons, handling modifications, new models and textures, CLEO scripts, even multiplayer online play, the list goes on forever. The only thing you can't change is the engine's physics, and that's probably what most people who play SA but can't play IV right now, or just plain like SA more, are regretting. The closest to this is ragdoll animations, but that's just an imitation.
At first I had only rudimentary knowledge of what modding was. Having acquired the PC game in 2006, I was only tweaking with vehicles so far, and I had trouble comprehending why the game would crash sometimes, which infuriated me at first. With experience, new kinds of mods tested and tried, I started to understand that "with great power comes great responsibility" : the more mods I use, the more I should be expecting game crashes. That must be the motto of game developers, but in one sense, it's a way for me to feel like one. Personally, I find that this simple fact, that people can create mods for this game of any kind, can make them feel like they have power over this game as more than players, and this is one of the main reasons I consider SA to be still very popular, on equal terms if not more so than IV-era games.
Grand Theft Auto and Touhou - An pairing more crack than any other
In 2008, I have discovered that Japanese modders love this game. That was about at the same time I discovered Touhou Project, an extremely popular series of shoot'em up games with a TON of characters, who apparently each have their own personality and charisma despite, for many of them, being only one-timers in their respective games. Not surprisingly, Touhou is subject to a SHIT TON of memes, trends, and stuff, to a point one would wonder why it's not well known in the West.
As I discovered, Touhou has found its way in EVERYTHING. Touhou has parodied a truckload of things, one would wonder if there is anything Touhou hasn't done. More so than the Simpsons, but from an eastern point of view. Unsurprisingly, as Japanese found GTA San Andreas and found out how easy it is to mod it in many ways, their best heads started to make Touhou mods. Being a huge fan of both series, I started in 2009 to collect mods related on them. This started to be known as what is Touhou GTA or TGTA to make it short, as I do often when I speak about it.
Being two completely different worlds - one being a world of magitech in a Feudal-Japan-era setting with FAIRLY (understatement) colorful things (just watch ONE gameplay video of one of the games- any of them, and you will see), and the other being a world talking about our world of nowadays, from a criminal's point of view, those two worlds surely wouldn't be related to each other in any way, and one would think trying to pair the two isn't a good idea.
Well, thanks to CLEO scripters, model and texture modders, and a few fan-artists, those who thought so are WRONG.
Proofs? Here are a few fanarts.
Actual ingame screenshots? I make a ton of them. I love taking shots during my gameplays, and I could post some almost every day. In fact, making good shots of my gameplays became somewhat of a side hobby along playing, as a way to immortalize my experiences, failures, odd situations, and so on. Being a heavy mod user, don't be surprised to see an IV HUD, modded cars, and so on. It's shots of my personal game.
I currently have found nearly all the characters, save for the old PC-98 era ones, as skins, and thanks to Ryosuke's Skin Selector I could play as any of them. My favorite of all is a modification of Sanae Kochiya's skin clad in an outfit reminiscent of Naked Snake's (Big Boss), in Metal Gear Solid 3 (she earned an affectionate nickname of Snakae due to this, although her official "name" is "nekkido sanae", or "Naked Sanae".)
Here are a few samples, displaying various mods, skins, and situations, from random fighting to funnier stuff.
Ran Yakumo on a bike
Snakae chases a plane while flying
Remilia Scarlet uses her Gungnir to blast off competition
Remilia again, flying away from shot down helicopters
Aki sisters, Minoriko as rider and Shizuha as shooter
Marisa Kirisame, and her trademark Master Spark
Marisa again with the heat-seeking RPG
Marisa yet again on her flying broom
Patchouli Knowledge in sportswear, running on the highway
Reisen Udongein Inaba aims her silenced pistol - using the SACamHack to tweak the camera aiming
Well placed screenshot of a soldier, who landed on a police helicopter
Suwako Moriya in SWAT outfit ("SWATko") running away from helicopters at night
"SWATko" shoots at soldiers with a pistol
Snakae stands next to another of her victims
Snakae in the heat of battle
...and one to end it all on a fun note: Komachi plays
golf Grim Reaper.
Touhou GTA: List of my customized Criminal Ratings
Inspired off this article, which I wrote. The "Playa" rank was omitted since it's only at 1000 points no more no less, and was integrated into the renamed "Playa Partner". This rank contains 56 ranks, separated into tiers, each tier being themed on a color, to follow Alice Margatroid's logic of color spectrum and potential being linked to each other.
Explanations for each name, as well as example characters are provided.
Tier Negative (no color)
- 56: lower - -6000 = Spirited away / One who has been gapped away by Yukari because he/she was so much of an asshole he/she deserved to disappear ; All dead characters.
- 55: -5999 - -4000 = Sealed away / One who has been sealed away by a shrine maiden or a magician so it ceases causing troubles.
- 54: -3999 - -2000 = Scandalous / One that's liable to gossip so much it causes scandals or troubles.
- 53: -1999 - -500 = Rejected / Someone who isn't wanted or is refused by everybody ; Hunted youkai that went too far.
- 52: -499 - -1 = Marginal / Someone who willingfully puts itself out of the flow, in a negative sense.
Tier 0 (red)
- 51: 0 - 19 = Random fairy / Just another fairy in Gensokyo's wild.
- 50: 20 - 49 = Random youkai / More than just a fairy since there are more youkai varieties than fairies.
- 49: 50 - 74 = Random human / Another step higher since humans are also noticeable in Gensokyo, but still random ; Human Villagers
- 48: 75 - 99 = Active human / A human that succeeded in doing something, a man that does something and is noticed for it ; Rinnosuke.
- 47: 100 - 119 = Active youkai / Any youkai that goes to the step of attacking humans, or trying to.
- 46: 120 - 149 = Hated youkai / A youkai that attacked enough humans to be noticed, therefore hated and sought for.
- 45: 150 - 199 = Idiot / A person lacking intelligent judgment, a fool ; The wide majority of Gensokyo fairies, the most notable being Cirno.
Tier 1 (orange)
- 44: 200 - 239 = Nineball wannabe / Someone who respects Cirno and admires her ; The entire Team (9).
- 43: 240 - 269 = Greater Fairy / Any fairy becoming more powerful than the average of fairies ; Daiyousei.
- 42: 270 - 299 = Midboss / The annoyances you meet in mid-stages of Touhou gameplay, underbosses, generally lower-class characters.
- 41: 300 - 329 = Active fairy / A fairy that settled down, got itself respected from its pairs or other youkai, even humans in some cases.
- 40: 330 - 369 = Minor demon / A demon-like or child demon that is of lesser importance, or without any special abilities ; Koakuma.
- 39: 370 - 399 = Consistent human / A human that became strong enough to counter-attack/retaliate against fairy assaults.
- 38: 400 - 449 = Stage 1 Boss / Speaks for itself ; Rumia, Nazrin, etc...
Tier 2 (yellow)
- 37: 450 - 499 = Future Nineball / Someone that is said to become just like Cirno if he/she continues to be so much of a fool.
- 36: 500 - 549 = Child Kappa / Progeny of the Kappa species.
- 35: 550 - 599 = Child Tengu / Progeny of the Tengu species.
- 34: 600 - 609 = Small threat / Someone who caused enough troubles to be called a threat of some kind.
- 33: 610 - 649 = Youkai offender / A "youkai gone postal", a "youkai criminal", generally any youkai that killed humans.
- 32: 650 - 699 = Child Oni / Progeny of the Oni species. Also the nickname of young but unusually strong creatures for its species.
- 31: 700 - 849 = Stage 2 Boss / Speaks for itself ; Chen, Kogasa, etc...
Tier 3 (green)
- 30: 850 - 999 = Nineball partner / Someone that rolls with Cirno/A member of the Team (9). ; Rumia, Wriggle...
- 29: 1000 - 1149 = Influencing human / A human that is followed by other humans, is regarded as important or leading ; Keine in human form.
- 28: 1150 - 1299 = Powerful midboss / A particularly annoying annoyance in Touhou gameplay.
- 27: 1300 - 1499 = Non-spell user / Someone who knows about danmaku but not spell cards.
- 26: 1500 - 1699 = Experienced fairy / A fairy that somehow managed to survive/kept being shot at to repeated attacks and got experience out of those shots.
- 25: 1700 - 1999 = Wise youkai / A youkai that knows things/has seen a lot ; Koakuma, especially knowing she works at Voile.
- 24: 2000 - 2099 = Weekly threat / "Sunday disaster", someone causing repeated or scheduled troubles all the time.
- 23: 2100 - 2299 = Young Kappa / Progeny of the Kappa species growing up.
- 22: 2300 - 2499 = Young Tengu / Progeny of the Tengu species growing up.
- 21: 2500 - 2749 = Young Oni / Progeny of the Oni species growing up. Another nickname for young and unusually powerful creatures.
- 20: 2750 - 2999 = Powerful Youkai / A youkai that accessed or grew enough power to stand out ; Hong Meiling.
- 19: 3000 - 3499 = Stage 3 Boss / Speaks for itself ; Nitori, etc.
Tier 4 (Cyan)
- 18: 3500 - 3999 = Beginner Miko / A beginner shrine maiden ; Reimu during early PC-98 adventures.
- 17: 4000 - 4999 = Spell Card trainee / Someone who is learning to use Spell Cards.
- 16: 5000 - 7499 = Magician trainee / Somebody who is learning about black arts/magical arts. Often a step-up to Spell Card trainee.
- 15: 7500 - 9999 = Adult Kappa / Most Kappas living in Gensokyo ; Nitori Kawashiro
- 14: 10000 - 19999 = Adult Tengu / Most Tengus living in Gensokyo ; Aya Shameimaru, Momiji Inubashiri... (although some consider she's younger)
- 13: 20000 - 29999 = Adult Oni / Most Oni living in Gensokyo - we're speaking about at least 1000 year old ones.
- 12: 30000 - 39999 = Youkai Leader / A youkai that leads a group of others.
- 11: 40000 - 49999 = Stage 4 Boss / Speaks for itself ; Patchouli, Murasa, etc.
Tier 5 (Blue)
- 10: 50000 - 64999 = Youkai Criminal / A youkai that murdered a lot of humans.
- 9: 65000 - 79999 = Regular Magician / Most Magicians living in Gensokyo ; Alice Margatroid
- 8: 80000 - 99999 = Stage 5 Boss / Speaks for itself ; Orin, Sakuya, etc.
Tier 6 (Indigo)
- 7: 100000 - 149999 = Shrine Maiden / A person, similar to a priest, in charge of a Shinto Shrine ; Reimu Hakurei, Sanae Kochiya
- 6: 150000 - 199999 = High Magician / A magician that possesses a high amount of power ; Marisa Kirisame, Patchouli Knowledge
- 5: 200000 - 299999 = Stage 6 Boss / Also called Final Boss, speaks for itself ; Remilia, Utsuho, etc.
Tier 7/Extra (Violet)
- 4: 300000 - 399999 = Deva Oni / An Oni that is one of the four Devas of the Mountain. The only known two are Suika Ibuki and Yuugi Hoshiguma.
- 3: 400000 - 499999 = Extra Boss / The pinnacle of hardness in Touhou gameplay. Nue, Flandre, etc.
Tier 8/Phantasm (Purple)
- 2: 500000 - 999999 = Boundary Master / Someone who watches over or controls boundaries ; Hakurei ancestors
- 1: 1000000+ = Phantasmal Boundary Master / The ultimate ruler, a realm's creator or administrator. ; Yukari Yakumo
If you wish to reach me, you can contact me using these:
MSN and email: email@example.com
Steam ID: SU-Tempest
Or my plain old talk page!
If you have questions concerning Touhou GTA, or modding in general, I will be happy to answer them the best I can.