| This is the talk page for User:Gboyers. Please leave a message.
Always sign off your messages using four tildes (~~~~ ) to automatically add your signature.
To leave a message, please Reply Here.
- Use : at the start of all your lines to indent your replies to someone else, like this line.
- Also, Use four tildes (~~~~ ) to sign your name with the date, like this - Xenon 18:52, 29 July 2006 (BST)
- 1 Brave New World
- 2 Profile links
- 3 Promotion
- 4 Could you please tell NT92 to stop harassing me in my talk page?
- 5 About Grand Theft Wiki
- 6 so....how do i help out in this?
- 7 Farewell to Wikia
- 8 Images
- 9 Our Official Promoter
- 10 Missing Pics
- 11 ZS Not Staff
- 12 Non Wikia Hosted Wikis
- 13 GTA Vice City
- 14 RE: English GTA Wiki
- 15 Image Corruption
- 16 Nominate yourself for promotion
- 17 Vehicles
- 18 Hi
- 19 Re:GTA IV radio stations.
- 20 Tagalog GTA Wiki?
- 21 Wikia
- 22 Mass deletions at the GTA Wikia
- 23 Userboxes
- 24 Moving my wiki from Wikia
- 25 Corporal.png
- 26 New Domain
- 27 Banned
- 28 Wikipedia Edit Toolbar
- 29 ohaithere.
- 30 Request From An Old "friend"
- 31 Interwiki links
- 32 Wiki stability
- 33 </references> tag
- 34 Just Cause Wiki Moving
- 35 RE: Adminship
- 36 RE: Adminship
- 37 I'm a bit blind aren't I.
- 38 Merge History
- 39 Disabling WikiEd toolboxes
- 40 RE:
- 41 Pages with "%" in the title inaccessible
- 42 Does the Train need steam to start the engine?
- 43 Portal: namespace
- 44 well...this is embarrising
- 45 The engine has fuel and the wheels are greesed but the train has no name.
- 46 RE: GTW
- 47 Unfair Wikia
- 48 Changes to skin
- 49 Applying to become Inspector
- 50 Leaving Wikia Help
- 51 Creating a bot
- 52 6FTofDIRT
- 53 WikiEd
- 54 gta.wikia.com
- 55 Wiki Staff?!
- 56 Blank page
- 57 Hello
- 58 Hello! Just popping by,
- 59 Cleanup project
- 60 User pages
- 61 Archiving my talk page
- 62 Community Page List
- 63 Swearing
- 64 user boxes
- 65 RE: Mod Vehicles
- 66 Hello---question
- 67 Vehicles in Liberty City Stories
- 68 Grand Theft Wiki
- 69 RE:RE:(Boss) and (Killed)
- 70 Hi & Af1105
- 71 GTA Wikia
- 72 "Help spread the word"
- 73 Red links... images
- 74 About moving from wikia
- 75 Estonian Flag Infobox
- 76 GTA Wiki vs Grand Theft Wiki
- 77 Estonian Flag Userbox
- 78 Wikia Plagarism
- 79 Wikia keeps beating it to us
- 80 GTA Wikia
- 81 Banning Wikia
- 82 Problems with galleries
- 83 Moving from Wikia
- 84 RE: Talk Page Categories
- 85 Audio file support
- 86 Site problems
- 87 Moving's never easy...
- 88 Increasing our content
- 89 Users & Copying articles
Brave New World
I've recently created a new page which should be about a new (video) game (series) that could be released INSTEAD or AFTER GTA 5. Now I'm not sure what to do... DasRagazzoSan 14:19, August 28, 2010 (UTC)
Hey Gsboyers! I really love the wiki because of it's intelligence involving the awards I acquired, right now I want to do a profile link so I can view my customs. I think I know where the help for it might be like you just said so.
Thanks for moving the page Brave New World. I was too afraid to make it as a subpage because I thought it would be less popular. Somebody also made a new page called Viper. It's about Dodge Viper and i don't know what is it doing in this wiki!? DasRagazzoSan 14:18, August 29, 2010 (UTC)
Good day to you Gsboyers, I've been using the wiki shortly and I adore the intelligence here because of the awards I've gained and the Pedestrian Dialogue that we just added, I want to do the profile links on my profile account because I tried getting my custom over to my user page but it never appeared after I've updated it. Can you tell me what to do so I can get my custom to show like anybody else's please?
User:Crescendospectredragon 12:09, August 29, 2010 (UTC) Crescendospectredragon
- I've re-edited my last message with a proper question, do you understand now? User:Crescendospectredragon 13:22, August 29, 2010 (UTC)Crescendospectredragon
Hi again! I hope you're happy that we're having a chitter-chatter here! I just wanted to say, how do you get your own tidbits (Custom) to show on your page even if it doesn't appear on it? I'm trying to do that but it's pointless. :(User:Crescendospectredragon 13:33, August 29, 2010 (UTC)Crescendospectredragon
Hello Gboyers, Thanks for creating this wonderful site. It changed the way I look at GTA. I have been using this wiki since 2009 (almost constantly) but joined just recently. I Nominated my self for a Promotion. It might be a little soon as I only have about 12 edits as of 31.08.2010 but I am really putting effort into fixing grammar issues and Typo's. also getting rid of false information is also very important to me. So even though I am still new I think I can make a change to this Wiki.
I don't know if you will promote me. but having a position in a site as popular as yours would be great and would make me very happy. I had to deal with OP's on mibbit Because they would abuse their power...(pardon me if that sounded to dramatic.) after a while I became an OP and they would ban or kick me every time I would go on Mibbit, but that isn't important anymore because I now found my new internet love: GTW. I will do my best to help this site. promoted or not.
Sorry if I wasted your time with that.
Thanks Shayanshaffey 13:18, August 31, 2010 (UTC)
Could you please tell NT92 to stop harassing me in my talk page?
Thanks! FrankHunter 22:10, August 31, 2010 (UTC)
Hey, ummm. . . on Claude Speed's page, his picture is NOT Claude Speed. It's like real life. I think somebody messed it up or just decided it would be funny. Can you fix it? SirLinkalot96 18:39, September 1, 2010 (UTC)SirLinkalot96
sorry about the last message. I didn't read through the entire page. It was actually Claude Speed thru the movie. SirLinkalot96 18:41, September 1, 2010 (UTC)SirLinkalot96
About Grand Theft Wiki
Hey GB, I was just thinking if we could consider creating a page about Grand Thef Wiki, eg. how/when we started, what we aim for, our progression over the years, the wikia move ect. We could name this page Grand Theft Wiki (which already re-directs to the main page) or About Grand Theft Wiki. I think it would inspire and inform users to know a little more about GTW. What do you think? Chimpso (Talk) 11:15, September 30, 2010 (UTC)
so....how do i help out in this?
i was wondering if if could help you guys in the transfer, all i need to know is how to perform a special import ^_^ MegaHyperNova 12:48, 10 October 2010 (BST)
ok, btw to make this place as efficient as our old home were gonna need some of the monico features, how are we gonna do this? btw i'm gonna promote this wiki in my signature on gtaforums.com ^_^ MegaHyperNova 12:57, 10 October 2010 (BST)
wasn't there 6500 pages at the last wiki O_O this is going to take months -_- so am i supposed to just transfer the raw code from the last wiki to here or does it take something else. MegaHyperNova 13:10, 10 October 2010 (BST)
that didn't take long O_O, btw i updated my gta forum signature with the link to this new wiki ^_^ MegaHyperNova 13:18, 10 October 2010 (BST)
my home feature was easier to read, the rich text was good for casual editing, and the sub menus in the sidebar was useful those are the only things i really need back right now to edit the way i did, lol example your making a minor edit but you have to swim through all this template code to get to the spot your trying to find, now imagine trying to do that on a really long article like a timeline or something like that, thats probably why the rich text editor would be useful to have back because it was created for casual editing
its just my opinion though ^_^ MegaHyperNova 13:23, 10 October 2010 (BST)
just added are wiki to the moved wikis on the Anti-Wikia Alliance Database, so thats even more promotion ^_^ MegaHyperNova 14:12, 10 October 2010 (BST)
here's the database, btw can you add our wikis logo i had to use the grand theft auto logo because i didn't have our logo lol, anyways if you need me to promote the wiki in any other way i can just ask ^_^ MegaHyperNova 14:15, 10 October 2010 (BST)
Farewell to Wikia
Nice new site! The Hole 13:53, 10 October 2010 (BST)
Just dropping by to report that images have not made it through the duplication. Resized images for regular thumbnails are still there, but not the full-sized originals. Anything that can be done about that? - ZS 02:59, 11 October 2010 (BST)
- Good to have you back. I'm aware that some images have not made it here, but most of them have. The File: pages are all there (with the name & license etc), so the images just need to be manually saved and uploaded (under the same name). The script I was using to download the images seems to leave a few behind every time. If there are important pages that you need help fixing, let me know on issues. If thumbnails are showing up but the main image isn't there, that's not possible, and it must be your browser playing up? Can you link me to an image where that happens? Gboyers 03:03, 11 October 2010 (BST)
- File:LibertonianMuseum-GTA4-exteriorMiddleParkside.jpg, for example, but I can dig up a few more examples as I inspect other articles. I'll see what else I can do, but with my home telephone line having gone dead, I will not be able to be on the Internet most of the time for now.
Btw, is it possible to set galleries to accept image links without the "File:" prefix? A large number of galleries (including those within image pages) avoid using it for simplification (i.e. Middle Park#Gallery), but are now failing to display in the old gallery system. - ZS 03:30, 11 October 2010 (BST)
- File:LibertonianMuseum-GTA4-exteriorMiddleParkside.jpg, for example, but I can dig up a few more examples as I inspect other articles. I'll see what else I can do, but with my home telephone line having gone dead, I will not be able to be on the Internet most of the time for now.
- P.S.: You might want to make it public that some images are not showing up properly, and invite people to help fix them. That should help speed up adjustments. - ZS 03:49, 11 October 2010 (BST)
- I discovered a weird effect to restore the images. First I find an image that is broken (like the one linked above). Then I find the old name of that image, which didn't have the correct history. Then I move that image and choose the option to delete to make way for move. The broken image along with the history of the broken image is wiped out and the image is moved. When I restored the deleted page, the history is restored but the image stayed visible. Is this a good way to make the images show up again without reuploading the images?--spaceeinstein 09:55, 11 October 2010 (BST)
- That's interesting, but it would only work where there are multiple uploads of the same image, no? Gboyers 09:58, 11 October 2010 (BST)
- I'm guessing that most, if not all, of the broken image problem is because the images was renamed in their history. So far, the broken images I see had been moved before. The images that used the old name is visible but with broken history while the image that used the new name is broken but with a complete history.--spaceeinstein 10:06, 11 October 2010 (BST)
- Aha - you're absolutely right! I'd not thought of that. When moved the image at wikia will keep the same filename, but the page would change. So when my script tried to download File2.jpg, it would actually still be named /File1.jpg from before it was moved. SO we have to go around moving images to get them to work. Please don't tell me that's for ALL the vehicle images that were renamed to the new format last year? Gboyers 10:16, 11 October 2010 (BST)
- Manually? :O There are also many scenic and character images that have this problem. Unfortunately I found instances where the technique wouldn't work. I'm guessing it's because the images were uploaded too recently. Looking at the upload log, new images (without replacing older ones) uploaded after around June 25 don't seem to get imported to here at all.--spaceeinstein 10:54, 11 October 2010 (BST)
- I'll try running the script slightly differently, that should give us some more recently-uploaded images. Gboyers 10:55, 11 October 2010 (BST)
- After a while of restoring images, it seems like all my assumptions were not true. All this now seem really random. It will take a while to have all the images restored :( --spaceeinstein 02:11, 12 October 2010 (BST)
Our Official Promoter
i would like to be an official promoter of our website, by going to other gta and gaming websites such as gta forums, Gta Place, and by inviting all my friends on xbox live to join this wiki, i could probably find other methods of getting people to join, btw are you glad i added our new wiki to the AWA database earlier today? MegaHyperNova 03:21, 11 October 2010 (BST)
- This wiki is a big community, unfortunately I can't go around thanking everyone for everything they do. We all work together and do as much as we can to make this site a better place, whether someone says thank you or not. As for promotions, we absolutely need to spread the word to as many people as possible. You should definitely post on every forum that you're a member of, add it to your signature, tell your friends etc. Although I would leave contacting the big GTA sites up to staff, because we already have a relationship with staff at those sites, and only we can decide what to offer in return (like a partnership, or linking to them in return etc). Thanks for your interest though, and keep spreading the good word! Gboyers 10:19, 11 October 2010 (BST)
ok :) lol i can't remember if i'm a member of Gta Place or not i'll go on it later and check and if i am, i'll spread the word :) p.s i invited the User Hanzai to join the wiki, you can check a list of members i invited on my talk page :D MegaHyperNova 04:24, 12 October 2010 (BST)
Hey, I noticed that there's some file pics that are missing. I'm assuming that this happened during the move. Any chance they'll be coming back?
Just and update, saw some of the safehouse pics still on old site. I can get those, but the Vice City and and SanAndreas seem to be gone for good.
I finding more, but there's no way I can possibly get them all. I'm gonna need help.
Last Update: I've got the pics for Locations and Safehouses GTAIV, and Safehouses Lost and Damned. Just tell me where to drop them off. Sorry, you're gonna have to find the rest...
ZS Not Staff
Eh, no go. It says "File does not exist," but says nothing about uploading...
Nope. It stops after, "No file by this name exists."
Non Wikia Hosted Wikis
Hi Gboyers, Congratulations on your move of the GTA Wiki from wikia. The Site has a nice 'clean look without all the added clutter that was being forced on users. I 'run' a niche wiki that I started on wikia to save all the 'hassle' of hosting and creating the wiki infrastructure but after 2 + years that has now proved a mistake (following the forced introduction of Oasis). I'm not really impressed by the other wiki farms on offer, so some form of 'self hosting' looks the way to go to avoid a repeat of the wikia 'problem' down the line. Could you please point me to any online service to set up a wiki or help as to how to set up a site like this my self - I've looked at mediawiki.org for the core code but the associated database and server code needed to host it my self has me baffled as to setting it all up. Are you using/ or do you know a website hosting service that 'creates' the mediawiki based site for you that you could recommend to me based in the UK if possible ? (I'm sure these same issues are stopping many others leaving wikia as well, but you appear to have successfully solved them, apart from porting / adding some of wikias better proprietary add-ons to the std mediawiki install which are non essential, hence my request for help). - a hopefully soon to be independent ex wikia site admin. -Traxcavator 21:04, 11 October 2010 (BST)
PS Your post a message link a top of page points to your wikia userpage ! is this intentional ? - Traxcavator 21:04, 11 October 2010 (BST)
Strange - looks better now ;) maybe it was because I was not registered then ! - Traxcavator 00:12, 12 October 2010 (BST)
- I fixed the link to wikia - thanks for pointing that out. As you mention, there are several free wiki farms that exist, however most of these are small, and might not exist forever. If you aren't very very comfortable with PHP, linux shell and SQL, you shouldn't host your own wiki. Wikia is a much more stable option for wikis like you describe, I wish there was a better one. Unfortunately we aren't in a position to offer free wiki hosting, but I would consider it for a hosting fee. It would cost more than cheap/free hosting because of the management involved, and the resource-intensive mediawiki software, but it would give you full control and keep you away from the evils of Wikia. Which wiki do you run? Gboyers 00:41, 12 October 2010 (BST)
GTA Vice City
Hey, I think GTA Vice city is the best GTA game made with San Andreas close behind mostly because of its thought out characters and scenic places although I don't owned GTA IV I just lay it sometimes at my friends house but it looks good, but I was thinking after playing VCS about 100 times about making a page all about the myths of the GTA series like the wall in GTA IV that says all the previous GTA protagonists are dead or how Vic was the dead hanging man in the freezer in VC intro or the huge Epsilon myths I have heard about.- Rockzaw
RE: English GTA Wiki
Since the German Grand Theft Auto Wiki is loyal to its Wikia "parent", it's not an easy decision. I, for myself, want to support the new English Grand Theft Auto Wiki - whatever reason led to this decision -, but "your" site is an unofficial one. Adding the new adress would be like backstabbing Wikia because we are satisfied with it. We will discuss this one.
Best wishes Zaibatsu 20:52, 13 October 2010 (BST)
Hi. On the Stinger page, the images in the gallery seem to be corrupting the page. I couldn't delete File:Stinger-GTA3-front.jpg. It would display this error: "Error deleting file: Could not create directory "deleted/s/c/y".--spaceeinstein 02:56, 14 October 2010 (BST)
- That was a permissions error. Should be fixed now. If these error become common, I'll have to write a script to regularly go around and set the permissions. Gboyers 10:22, 14 October 2010 (BST)
- You're right, that's now fixed. Gboyers 00:45, 3 November 2010 (UTC)
Nominate yourself for promotion
Hi Gboyers! You have requested to nominate yourself for promotion. To do so, please click this button and then save:
I thought that the missions pages (in particular for GTA IV, TLAD and TBOGT) were the most popular, hence why I changed it. Great to see that GTA San Andreas still has the most popular page on the site. A-Dust 19:44, 14 October 2010 (BST)
I am a common wikia user, Seahorseruler, and I have been reading the gta wiki for over a year. I am just as upset as you are about this terrible new "Oasis" skin they have released. Wikia have attempted to demote and ban me from large wikis I am a crat on just for attempting to move, and I see they have done the same to you. I honestly needed to voice my opinion on how horrible they are. I would really like to say you are really brave standing up against wikia like that. You are a great example, and would like to wish you the best of luck off of wikia, and I will be moving some of my own wikis off as well, and I will start editing the gta wiki aswell some more. Thank you and have a great day! --Seahorseruler 23:17, 14 October 2010 (BST)
Re:GTA IV radio stations.
That's a good idea, thanks. However, you might want to recheck the spam-whitelist, as you've written "bamazon.com", which I think is the reason it's not letting me add the new template to the remaining radio station pages. --Bluesboyjr 23:34, 14 October 2010 (BST)
- It's all done now, so you can reblock it or whatever you need to do. --Bluesboyjr 20:12, 15 October 2010 (BST)
Tagalog GTA Wiki?
Hey, Gboyers! Can you make tagalog/Filipino version of this wiki? And also I like this site :) --Gta4bigfan 07:05, 17 October 2010 (BST)
I don't get why you left wikia, there GTA wiki site looks so much better than this one and Oasis is actually really good, i have no problems with it. The Tom 00:11, 18 October 2010 (BST)
It does, i've never viewed the oasis skin as a logged off user so i never noticed th adverts and i do a agree with the content space, it is very small and also the name of the uploader but that never really bothered me much, i really like the look of the Oasis skin but i agree they should have listened to people, but what's this about wikia running the sites and choosing admins, admins work very hard for the wiki's and do a good job of running them in most cases, i think wikia should get less involved with the communities as they run themselves. The Tom 00:37, 18 October 2010 (BST)
By the way i think you need something similar to the wiki activity or my home if there isn't already something. The Tom 00:37, 18 October 2010 (BST)
I'm not sure if lots of people use it it's just the first thing i go on, i like to see recent changes, i really admire this wiki it's one of the closest community i've seen on wiki's, i'm trying to build a community like it on Mafia wiki which i'm a bureaucrat on but it's pretty hard, by the way whats that donate thing? The Tom 00:59, 18 October 2010 (BST)
By the way, are you and the admins deleting pages from the other GTA wiki, there seems to be less pages on there everytime i go on. The Tom 01:01, 18 October 2010 (BST)
Mass deletions at the GTA Wikia
I've only been away for just over week (Minecraft has really consumed much of my free time), but so much has happened. While I've expected the GTA Wikia to go its own way, I didn't expect it to approve indiscriminate article deletions (The Zaibatsu page, for example, was deleted on the grounds it was listed under the "Businesses in GTA III" category), which is utter bullocks.
With this crap going on, this wiki looks to be more attractive at this point. The only pressing issues that need to be addressed are missing edits and images, and I'm most concerned about the latter, especially since preexisting ones at the Wikia are running the risk of being deleted in that "cleanup" exercise. I can reupload the ones I've taken, but it's going to take a very long time to do since I've spend a good whole year uploading hundreds, if not thousands, of these images. - ZS 06:24, 18 October 2010 (BST)
- On the topic of post-migration adjustments, there are also other minor changes that need to be done:
- All inter-Wikia links (i.e. in Manhunt) must be changed to regular HTTP URL links. This should be easy with a bot.
- All images in galleries must include the "Image:" or "File:" prefix. There are lots of articles that do not include the prefix, resulting in "pictureless" galleries.
- I'll be back some other time to confirm whether the deletions at the GTA Wikia are to encompass more article. - ZS 10:27, 18 October 2010 (BST)
Hey man, After creating a wiki of my own, I want to have userboxes like I have on here. This works fine and I can get them on my page but then I cannot put any text or templates under the userbox templates without them being included in the "box" containing the userboxes. This is quite hard to explain, but I hope you understand. How can I stop this from happening? --Ezanrki 19:09, 19 October 2010 (BST)
- Quite simply, you have forgotten a </div> tag or to close your table with |}. You'll need to go through the code for the template and check you have the same number of <div> open tags as </div> close tags, and make sure everything lines up properly. Gboyers 20:14, 19 October 2010 (BST)
- Hey man thanks this worked :) --Ezanrki 12:49, 20 October 2010 (BST)
Moving my wiki from Wikia
Hey, I'm moving my wiki off Wikia. I was wondering, how do I access my wiki's database? I'd ask Uberfuzzy, but chances are he'd just spit in my face and globalblock me, so I figured I might as well ask someone who's done it before. --Gp75motorsports 21:14, 19 October 2010 (BST)
- You need to go to Special:Statistics and request a dump. I've hit the request button for you, and it will take a few days to create that. If you're hosting it yourself, you can then install MediaWiki and use importDump.php to import the XML database dump into the new wiki. Unfortunately this will not download images, you'll have to do that yourself. Although some complex scripts do exist to help, they're pretty tricky and not that great. Gboyers 21:30, 19 October 2010 (BST)
- Hey, thanks man. I owe you one! If you need something done, just ask me. I play GTA a lot as well, so I know a little about it. :) --Gp75motorsports 20:44, 21 October 2010 (BST)
- OK, I've got the dump. What do I do now? Gp75motorsports 05:32, 25 October 2010 (BST)
This is where it gets tricky unless you know what you're doing with MediaWiki and SSH. You need to install MediaWiki, and run importDump.php to import that dump into it. The dump there seems to still be the January one - you should wait for an October one, and contact Wikia if it hasn't been generated yet. Gboyers 09:13, 25 October 2010 (BST)
- Well actually I was thinking I'd move to another farm. Sorry for not clearing that up. So I guess in that case I just ask the farm staff to create a version of my wiki with the October dump? --Gp75motorsports 05:27, 26 October 2010 (BST)
Hey man just a question the image: Corporal.png has a box around it that is usually not visible but ive noticed it is quite visible when the blue background is added on the banners and userboxes. Ive fixed this image on my computer so the box is gone. Can I upload it and replace the current one so all banners would be updated? --Ezanrki 13:00, 20 October 2010 (BST)
- Sure, feel free to re-upload under the same name, so long as you don't reduce the quality of it. I have the original anyway. Gboyers 13:07, 20 October 2010 (BST)
- Ok I uploaded it but for some reason it didnt work the first time so I reuploaded and then they both worked... so you can just delete the extra one to avoid clutter. Oh and another question, is it possible to change the color of my signature? how do i do that. i know i can change custom signature but where and how to i type the color code? thanks --Ezanrki 13:41, 20 October 2010 (BST)
- To change the color of your signature, you need to include HTML tags. So let's say you wanted to change the color of your signature to red. To do that, you'd type <font color=red>Ezanrki</font>. That should produce this: Ezanrki. Hope that helps! --Gp75motorsports 21:17, 21 October 2010 (BST)
Hey Gboyers why did you yet again upload a different Corporal.png? The one I uploaded did not have the lines around it and was much better quality. Why did you change the file to one that you uploaded later? Ezanrki 12:29, 5 November 2010 (UTC)
- The one you uploaded  had a white blur around the edges of the shape, which showed up when it was used against a dark background. So I re-edited the original to get rid of the lines around the outside that you suggested . Thanks for pointing out the problem - Gboyers 12:46, 5 November 2010 (UTC)
Hey, I'm the creator/admin of the Criminal Minds wiki at wikia. I'm a bit pissed off about the new look also, and was wondering what you had to do to transfer the entire wiki over to your new domain. I may be doing the same thing. I already have a website with an Apache server, and can just as easily get a new one to use for the CM wiki. I was just wondering if I'd have to manually copy every single page over to the new domain once I get mediawiki installed. Any info you can give would be appreciated. -Template:Sec
- Glad to see another wiki making the right move. I answered this above. To get a backup/dump of your wiki, you go to Special:Statistics, click the request-backup button, and a new dump should appear there in a few days. You can then import that dump to a new/blank MediaWiki installation. That backs up all pages, but not images, which you can manually download and re-upload under the same names. Users and accounts are not copied either, so people would register a new account with the same name. It can get complicated, so get someone who's confident with MediaWiki. Gboyers 22:17, 24 October 2010 (BST)
Why did wikia ban you and the staff from wikia, that seems a bit unneccesary as some of your staff contribute to other wiki's too so they've just lost a lot of good eitiors. The Tom 08:28, 24 October 2010 (BST)
Wikipedia Edit Toolbar
Hi, while I'm reluctant to support installing a rich text editor, as it prevents new users from even getting the chance to learn the quicker, easier wiki-markup, not to mention that they break the wiki code, I quite like Wikipedia's new edit toolbar available in the WikiEditor extension. It makes the default toolbar more user friendly, helping new users to learn the wiki markup. I know that we're not using the development version of MediaWiki, however, you can get an old version compatible with 1.16 from here, or the entire UsabilityInitiative extension for 1.16 from here. Thoughts? JFletcherTalk (formerly User:Biggest gta fan ever) 02:23, 25 October 2010 (BST)
Guess who? Hah, you can see by my sig anyway. So, BGTAFE/JFletcher convinced me to come back and set up here. However, I'd like to move to a new username, like him. He said to talk to you first, to get my admin rights and change my username, and I have to prove I'm really Masterpogihaha. Don't know how, really. But I would like you to know I am who I am. Thanks. Masterpogihaha 12:05, 25 October 2010 (BST)
- I can confirm his identity simply because he referred to an email conversation with me (which was sent through the email user function at Wikia). JFletcherTalk (formerly User:Biggest gta fan ever) 12:10, 25 October 2010 (BST)
Ohai, good to see you here. The easiest way to confirm your identity is just by posting on Wikia as per these instructions. However, as JFletcher has confirmed that, I'll promote you. What would you like your username changing to? I can do this for any user, but only as a one-off (not changing it every month). Gboyers 12:50, 25 October 2010 (BST)
- Err, I'll go with my TGTAP and Last.fm username, "Paperworktemple". Thanks for weloming me back, btw. Masterpogihaha 15:06, 26 October 2010 (BST)
Request From An Old "friend"
Hey there Gboyers, looks like this is the new wiki (that you created, i didnt know that), well i must say this looks fine. Anyways, the Just Cause Wiki is basically dead without your knowledge, i cant code for crap (like i could before :S) anymore with this new crappy "Oasis" layout, and i was wondering (if you could bare with wikia) to make an account and rejoin the JCwiki. This is ofcourse a request in the form of a plea for help but you know.. Kronos890989 06:04, 27 October 2010 (BST)
Are the interwiki links really necessary now that we're no longer part of Wikia? A-Dust 02:42, 29 October 2010 (BST)
- No. I was testing them out, in case we wanted to host any other languages here (de.grandtheftwiki.com), but that's not happening at the moment. I will change the interwiki link settings to redirect to Grand Theft Wiki:Interwiki, where we will explain. I wouldn't go around removing the links (yet), because we may use them in the future. Gboyers 02:58, 29 October 2010 (BST)
I'm a bit concerned since this wiki has been experiencing downtime in a space of less than a day. While it's only been a mere few weeks since the move, the decision to have this wiki sustained through donations could be disastrous if we do not inform wiki-goers on how important it is that there is at least some money to pay for hosting. I've seen similarly sized wikis shutting down because they weren't able to secure financing, and as a result lost countless numbers of articles, edit histories and archives when the servers were switched off.
I like to know if you have long-term plans to keep this place running. - ZS 10:20, 2 November 2010 (UTC)
- I understand your concerns. This wiki is running on the same server as The GTA Place, and there are long-term plans to maintain both sites on this server (or future TGTAP servers) for at least a few more years. We have had no donations so far, so this server is being funded entirely by TGTAP's adverts, so we will either have to encourage donation or resort to (tasteful and well-placed) advertisments. The downtime yesterday was due to upgrading to MediaWiki 1.17, and there are other short bouts of downtime when I install new extensions. We do sometimes get downtime for about 10 minutes when the server is backing itself up. We're also tweaking the security settings on the server to reduce automatic blocks. If there is other downtime, where the wiki is completely inaccessible, check DownForEveryoneOrJustMe, and let me know the exact time so I can look into it. TLDR, we won't be shutting down, but donations and/or ads would help us get a more powerful server to reduce downtime, and a better backup system. Gboyers 14:10, 2 November 2010 (UTC)
- After more investigation, I found the firewall had been blocking hundreds of users per day. It was probably something in mediawiki that made too many server requests in a short space of time that triggered the block. I've changed the settings and removed all those blocks so this shouldn't happen again. Gboyers 00:50, 3 November 2010 (UTC)
- It might contribute, but it seems to have suddenly got worse today. It should only have affected people who were actively editing or uploading, but we'll see if things perk up. Gboyers 00:59, 3 November 2010 (UTC)
On another note, I've noticed reference tags don't seem to work in this wiki, which is unusual because they should be standard in all wiki software; see Salvatore Leone, Grove Street Families and Picador for examples. Is there any solution to this problem? - ZS 03:39, 3 November 2010 (UTC)
- The <reference> and <ref> tags are actually part of the Cite extension. JFletcherTalk (formerly User:Biggest gta fan ever) 05:24, 3 November 2010 (UTC)
I had to disable that extension whilst we upgraded to the latest version of MediaWiki. I'll see if I can get it turned on again. I'm not a huge fan of having lots of references, as they're pretty clunky and take up loads of space on the page. If something is ingame, just say which game and mission/location/character and don't bother with a reference. If something is not ingame, link to it, but uusally you don't need a reference. Gboyers 09:54, 3 November 2010 (UTC)
Just Cause Wiki Moving
Yeah, me again, im done with that BS back at Wikia and im getting a database dump to shoutwiki(probably). So anyways why didnt you reply to my previous message? Also i was wondering if you wanted to be a bureaucrat when the new wiki is up and running? Yes? No? Maybe? Kronos890989 23:26, 4 November 2010 (UTC)
- I did reply here. I'm happy to be a bureaucrat and help you guys out, although I'm quite busy at the moment and won't be able to dedicate huge amounts of time. We're toying with the idea of hosting multiple wikis here, with shared user accounts either paid for or with some adverts to pay for the server. Just let me know - Gboyers 00:14, 5 November 2010 (UTC)
Um What i was truly wondering was how it might be possible for one such as myself to become an admin
Ok i will do my best to help out as much as i can
I'm a bit blind aren't I.
I didn't even see the first message you left me but that's because Wikia forgot to mention it to me. Now I've been having second thoughts about moving but I'm also having third thoughts about moving, right now i'm torn. See if i tried to have my own domain i would fail (even though i like the sound of justcausewiki.com) because I'm not the best at financing. Also did you mention something about multiple websites hosted on your server or some thing? If we could do that i would be very very pleased. Kronos890989 17:50, 5 November 2010 (UTC)
- We could easily host Just Cause wiki here, just like GTW. Even sharing a user database so users don't have to register more than once. However, because we have to pay to run this server, it could not be free, and would require either contributions towards the server costs (a few pounds/dollars a month), perhaps including donations from the users, or adverts (although much nicer than Wikia). Your own domain would be best, and you would need to do some marketing to make loads of gaming-related websites link back to your new site. You should ask the users whether that's what they'd want to do. Gboyers 17:57, 5 November 2010 (UTC)
- Edited Afer realizing i didnt read something right| Ive been thinking, could you manage the website (I.E. make the website and apply wiki but have it on the same server. see this would make everything less confusing, and if thats what you intended, great!
- Post Script: I don't mind having advertisements as long as they are tasteful.
--Kronos890989 01:38, 7 November 2010 (UTC)
In the staff discussion forum you said to use Special:MergeHistory instead of simply copying page content, but that special page is restricted to Executive Managers (The action you have requested is limited to users in the group: Executive Managers). JFletcherTalk (formerly User:Biggest gta fan ever) 23:09, 7 November 2010 (UTC)
- Fixed Gboyers 00:03, 8 November 2010 (UTC)
Disabling WikiEd toolboxes
I trust you should be familiar with these things that pop up over textboxes in any edit page (even the upload page). While I've managed to turn most of these toolbars off, the main toolbox (the one with 10 buttons) can't be removed and still manages to slow down my computer each time I try to edit a page; messing around with my preferences doesn't seem to help either. Is there any other way to eliminate these things? - ZS 04:37, 8 November 2010 (UTC)
- To completely disable wikiEd, simply click the wikiEd logo, next to the log out button at the top of the page. I think it should remain disabled for your account unless you click the logo again to enable it. I have also done this myself, and it seems to be working fine so far!. JFletcherTalk (formerly User:Biggest gta fan ever) 04:44, 8 November 2010 (UTC)
Yep, I'm still here. The edit I made was to revert vandalism to the wikia copy. Normally I would not have cared about someone vandalising that copy now, but seeing as we need that advertisment on the main page I decided to revert it. Anyways I'm still around (as you can see by me noticing that) and willing to help. Just have not found much to do around here. There is little labourous tasks you can perform with a dial-up connection...
Is there anything you wanted me to do? If so let me know :).
EDIT: Nice placement of the Google ad by the way. If only wikia would be more like that and not have their ads in the article space. It looks good in the sidebar.Chimpso (Talk) 05:58, 8 November 2010 (UTC)
Pages with "%" in the title inaccessible
Looks like the problem includes all pages covering 100% completion (the only way I managed to access one of them is entering via a redirect, by searching for "100"). Clicking any of the links redirects me to a "406.shtml" page, which I assume refers to the 406 error. Hope this is fixed ASAP. - ZS 08:18, 9 November 2010 (UTC)
- I'm afraid it's not that simple. Given the super-short URLs we use, it's not easy to get all symbols working. I have everything else working, just not % at the moment. The next thing I try is hardcoding it into the apache config, instead of htaccess, but that will result in some downtime as I try to get it working. Gboyers 19:43, 9 November 2010 (UTC)
- Good job. Now we just need to figure out how to enable editing, because any attempt to access any of their edit pages leads us back to the main wiki page. I can wait. - ZS 01:49, 11 November 2010 (UTC)
Does the Train need steam to start the engine?
First off i would like to say that the text editor that you have now is great, its a huge improvement on any regular wiki editor. Since thats done i would like to ask about how i can start the process of moving the Just Cause Wiki to here, and what needs to be done to get this train rolling (hence the title). So how are we going to start this because i would like to ASAP. --Kronos890989 22:08, 9 November 2010 (UTC)
- I'm working on the technical stuff behind the scenes, I'll let you know when it's ready. I'm trying to get it set up similarly to Wikia, where the wikis are half-integrated but still separate. Gboyers 22:58, 9 November 2010 (UTC)
Hi, I think you should create a Portal: namespace so that the talk pages line up properly (such as Portal talk:GTA IV instead of Talk:Portal:GTA IV). JFletcherTalk (formerly User:Biggest gta fan ever) 11:43, 11 November 2010 (UTC)
well...this is embarrising
i don't know if you noticed but i've been offline for a week or two -_- that would be for two reasons 1 my computer broke down, 2 my dad couldn't pay the internet this month (i'm using a public computer Btw) anyways sorry if i haven't been helping out, and i probably won't be able to respond to anything for a while, i just wanted to let you know :) anyways i will let you know when everything gets fixed XD MegaHyperNova 17:43, 13 November 2010 (UTC)
Hey i'm back which means i can help out again :D MegaHyperNova 22:52, 16 April 2011 (BST)
lol sorry if i'm annoying sometimes XD MegaHyperNova 03:29, 17 April 2011 (BST)
The engine has fuel and the wheels are greesed but the train has no name.
I've been contemplating on how to raise enough money for the domain name, the wiki size is too small to hold a fundraiser, and i'm quite sure you(Gboyers) and your wiki's users don't want to pay.
I want to donate but i don't use credit cards...
This is quite a boggle.
Either than that everything is running good, but i have noticed some of the editing text doesnt work here, what is that?
This is what i mean <mainpage-endcolumn /> <mainpage-rightcolumn-start /> 300px
<bloglist summary="true" summarylength=200 timestamp="true" count=3> <title>Blogs</title> <type>bloglist</type> <order>date</order> <category>Blog posts</category> </bloglist>
thats on the JC2 portal page, ideas?
For the logo, do i just upload it as wiki.png?
--Kronos890989 06:45, 14 November 2010 (UTC)
Hmm, yes, it'd be pretty cool if you'd be able to transfer all my edits to this site. It wouldn't feel like starting all over again (not that I just edited on the wiki to get high up the Featured Users list, but you know what I mean). So yes, sign me up! Though, right now, I'm supposed to have Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood delivered here to my house, so when I get it, I'll be playing around with that for a while. =P But I'll be sure to edit here soon!
-- Master Sima Yi 12:10, 18 November 2010 (UTC)
I was just wondering if there is any way we can get wikia to take down the old GTA wiki, as it is very unfair that they are using it to make money, when money should really be going to this website?--GuyB121 11:00, 20 November 2010 (UTC)
Changes to skin
Would it be alright to make a few small alterations to the skin? Some of these would be the Special:ToggleUserPage link. Could this be put in a box in the corner of the screen? Or a small box around the avatar. With the PL template some of these seem unneeded a bit.--Gta-mysteries Talk 03:34, 25 November 2010 (UTC)
- These should be fixed now. Other things have broken, but that should now work! Gboyers 15:46, 23 December 2010 (UTC)
Applying to become Inspector
Hello, I recently applied to become promoted to inspector of the Grand Theft Wiki. I am wondering when the actual "choice" will be made. I would love to be the inspector and be a part of this awesome wiki. My goal is to help, patrol, and contribute.
Leaving Wikia Help
Hey man, exactly like you guys, habbo.wikia.com is likely departing Wikia. Is there any chance I can ask how you copied over your content? Btw can you recommend a wikifarm or a host? Thank you! -Imdill3 00:23, 4 December 2010 (UTC)
Creating a bot
- I became manager of Wiki Hero and I was going to use a bot to help re-do part of the site. --Gta-mysteries Talk 20:24, 17 December 2010 (UTC)
6FTofDIRT isn't my account it's my cousin, he's staying with me for the holidays and I asked him if he would nominate me for administrator, so he did, but pretends he doesn't know me online to avoid any complications, which clearly hasn't worked. Plus he has (willingly) helped me with edit disagreements when trying to make a point. I have better things to do with my time then make more then one account and try to nominate myself. The only reason I'm on this site is because I love Grand Theft Auto, and I want to make the Wiki better. I don't even see how you would think we're the same people anyway. Grand Theft AJ 05:11, 24 December 2010 (UTC)
Not sure whether it is for me or not, I just know that every time I edit something the edit screen automatically moves on to the line I'm typing on, something I find annoying as I like to be able to place the text where I want. In particular when re-writing articles. I don't have the icon in the corner of the screen so can't click on that. And isn't that only a temporary solution? As for my edit, just wanted to vent after a bad day. And I didn't want to suggest disabling it in case others find it useful. A-Dust 23:23, 1 January 2011 (UTC)
- Just a note that this problem has returned for me. A-Dust 22:01, 27 January 2011 (UTC)
I was wondering since you aren't using http://gta.wikia.com/, that maybe I could perhaps take it over? I don't know whether that would be possible or not though but I would like to be able to co-ordinate and make sure that the great work that has happened over there continues. No use letting a perfectly good Wiki go to waste in my opinion. Get to me via email. [email protected]
DTUMan19 09:29, 4 January 2011 (UTC)
Why did wiki staff block every Admin and Manager on the Grand Theft Wiki? What did you guys do that really angered them? (Good on ya by the way :D) --Khan1998stevewhite 18:46, 4 January 2011 (UTC)
- That hardly seems fair. They should of let you advertise this lovely new one ;D . I always go through peoples User Pages and see what templates they have used and stuff, so I click on Gboyers (On Gta.wikia.com) and I saw this pages link, so I edit here instead :) --Khan1998stevewhite 08:03, 5 January 2011 (UTC)
Sorry, man I tried to post a suggestion, but I didn't know where to post it, I already made it and saved it on the community pages, but I later found out I had to post it in "Discussion", so I made it blank and coudln't find a way to delete it. It was a bit confusing for me, cus I'm still a newbie. ;P
I just wanted to say Hi and at the same time tell you that I have a lot of respect for you, even if I'm not that familiar to this site. I'm pretty new here, but I've read about your argument with Wikia and I can't say I've ever seen anyone stand up for themselves like you did. You deserve a lot (<- emphasis) of cred for that and for doing a great job setting up this new site. :)
I signed up to the original Wikia at first and did a few edits at that site but it didn't take that long for me to get convinced to move over here as well. I'm in no way an expert of GTA but I will be editing various GTA III era articles over time as those were by far my favorites of the games.
I do have a question for you now though. Whenever I try clicking my username up top to go to my page, I get
- Fatal error: Call to undefined method DatabaseMysql::unixTimestamp() in /home/gtw/public_html/extensions/SocialProfile/UserGifts/UserGiftsClass.php on line 322
I've tried clicking other peoples names but that has only happened on one or two of the ones I've tried so far. What could this be?
Finally a completely unrelated thought that I've had in my mind for a while now, about Donald Love. Wouldn't it make sense in believing that he is (at least supposed to be) dead? Back in the Darkel days you were supposed to crash a plane into the Love Media building, and I can't help but thinking that would probably kill him ( and the old Oriental man). Is there something I'm missing here?
Thank you. Andreaz1 18:44, 10 January 2011 (UTC)
Hello! Just popping by,
Andreaz1 pretty much took the words out of my mouth about you! I'm glad that when you moved from Wikia you never gave up and carried on the site. Your still chugging along keeping this wiki clean as well as making it a better place. I have been a member on this site for nearly a fortnight now however still can't access my user page. Basically the same story as Andreaz1. I really want to make the page to describe a bit about myself. Is there any way to solve this? Thank you very much,
Your help is much appreciated!
Hi again gboyers!
Thank you ever so much for helping me out the other day with my user page. I was interested on helping out spaceeinstein with the lonely pages section to clear up this wonderful wiki and it's community. Everytime I do an edit I pretty much end up using links all the time! I would love to be one of the main helpers out in that section. Please let me know if it is possible.
Thanks again, Montario 07:21, 11 January 2011 (UTC)
Great. Happy to be a new member of GTA Wiki. LyHungViet 17:54, 13 January 2011 (UTC)
Archiving my talk page
Why am i not allowed to archive it. Chimpso keeps changing it. I understand i'm not able to just delete it but since i'm not on here too much I should be allowed to archive my own talk page. And because the info i'm archiving is from last year, that isnt relevant anymore.
Another thing quick, before you are able to reply to this message, Chimpso might block me for archiving my talk page, so i won't be able to reply. NT92 20:14, 24 January 2011 (UTC)
Community Page List
Hi, I noticed that there is no easy way to see a list of the community pages. The list at the bottom of Community:Hub needs to be updated manually, and Category:Community is a hidden category (which is fine, categories aren't a great way to show a list). I was thinking that the <forum> tag would be an easy way to turn the list at the bottom of Community:Hub (or somewhere else?) into a dynamically populated list filled in from the category. It could easily be customised for the purpose, hiding most of the forum-like features, making it just a plain list of links (like we used to have here), and sorted by "created" rather than "last edited". Thoughts? JFletcherTalk (formerly User:Biggest gta fan ever) 10:19, 27 January 2011 (UTC)
Can someone get blocked for swearing on this wiki. I am wondering because GTA is 18+ so...? --Khan1998stevewhite 16:44, 6 February 2011 (UTC)
- Ok, I don't swear at people. --Khan1998stevewhite 18:57, 6 February 2011 (UTC)
how do i make userboxes, im struggling with the directions
RE: Mod Vehicles
I am perfectly fine with those vehicles in San Andreas as I can use them through mods, but I know someone who full on hates mods and thinks that they should be removed. Baseballhater 09:45, 7 April 2011 (BST)
I understand, I made that edit for a friend who hates mods, I drive them with mods (the tram goes through traffic like a hot knife through butter, lol)Baseballhater 02:34, 8 April 2011 (BST)
Hello, my name is Alex. I have just moved from wikia. I have been banned from wikia along with 500 other users. May you please give me tour or tell me about GTW. thanks-Af1105 Af1105 15:14, 9 April 2011 (BST)
Vehicles in Liberty City Stories
It says you can get the hunter and police maverick with mods, how do you mod PSP games when they are not on PC?Baseballhater 04:06, 11 April 2011 (BST)
DOH!!!!!, my psp is too high version and i don't want to risk a downgrade
Grand Theft Wiki
Hey Gboyers, is Grand Theft Wiki part of wikia or are they a separate websites?--MrLanceVanceDance 06:41, 15 April 2011 (BST)
RE:RE:(Boss) and (Killed)
Alright, thank you for the answer. It never made much sense to me, but if you think they are useful I won't remove them. Thanks for letting me know.
Hi & Af1105
Hi, i'm Tom, i've recently become an admin on the GTA wikia site though i will edit here now and again, i know of the problems with wikia and the GTA wiki site there and i'm trying to sort any other problems out since there were some copyright issues which have since been solved. If you have any other issues with the wikia site then please let me know and i'm sure we can sort it out civilly. Another reason i visited is to tell you about User Af1105, he contacted you a week or so ago after been blocked from the wikia site, 500 users weren't blocked by the way, he was blocked for pretending to be an admin and threatening to block users when he couldn't, he also said he was part of the wikia security team and was a V.I.P wikia user, i'm pretty sure they're not even real things, he was also intimidating other users and been very hostile, this is just a heads up since he said he was joining this site. I know we run "rival" sites but i truely wish you the best of luck with this site and hope any problems between your site and the wikia site are over. The Tom 23:07, 18 April 2011 (BST)
I'd like to work together and i didn't think "rival" was the right word but i couldn't think of a better one. I agree with why you moved but i am a bureaucrat on two other wiki's and an active user on many more so i couldn't really leave wikia. I honestly prefer this site but i hate to see a wiki been constantly vandalised due to it having no active staff so i decided to help out, i don't agree with what WikisEditor was doing but wikia did warn him about copyright issues, i hope putting a link to your website and saying its the source is enough to sort out any problems, if it isn't then please let me know and we can try and work out another arrangement. Also Af1105 was blocked for threatening users by a member of wikia staff. I also understand that your not trying to destory the wiki, i'm not sure why WikisEditor thinks you are. I also understand that it's not a competition i just wanted to make sure there wasn;t any bad blood between the sites.
I know that you started the site independently and later moved to wikia and i in no way agree with there actions but i do understand why they didn't delete the site, it was a great site with a lot of visitors so the advertising would of made them money which is obviously all they really care about. Again, i wish you the best of look with the original site and if you have any further issues with the GTA wikia then please let me know. The Tom 13:23, 19 April 2011 (BST)
"Help spread the word"
On Grand Theft Wiki's main page, it asks you to help spread the word to use Grand Theft Wiki instead of Wikia's GTA Wiki. Can you give me advice on how to successfully spread the word (while at the same time without getting in trouble with Wikia)?--MrLanceVanceDance 07:02, 29 April 2011 (BST)
Hey, you seem to be one of the top guys here, so I figured who better to ask than you?
Recently, I've noticed a lot of red links, pictures (almost all of them if I can recall) used to work, and now they're red links. Also, it seems that now on those pages, there's a bunch of jibberish red links at the bottom too. Almost like it's spanish. What is all that? Is the site glitching out? Did we lose a lot of files or what?
I found this by going to the "photo" page of San Andreas and of course, the one picture I wanted "This is what you should take a picture of" didn't work. However, I've been noticing it more and more and I'm beginning to wonder what happened. Tommy-Vercetti
About moving from wikia
I'm in total support of the decision, but I've noticed how insanely active the GTA wikia still is. Either those people don't care or they can't read (I'm more inclined to believe the latter). I know you guys all want to abandon the old site, so as a mod there (I assume you are) can't you lock every page to make it impossible to edit anymore?
It's kind of sad how many people are still there. Tommy-Vercetti 20:54, 2 May 2011 (BST)
Estonian Flag Infobox
So I need Estonian Flag Infobox,can you help me. I didn't find it and thought maybe you can help? Heainimene 23:38, 5 May 2011 (BST)
GTA Wiki vs Grand Theft Wiki
Hey GB! I dont know if youve noticed but ive been around since way before the move from wiki but TBH all the red links/missing pictures on this wiki is making me look more and more back at the wikia page to find the information that im looking for. The fact that there are so many people still there and the things i mentioned before make the GTA wiki much more active and informative than this one. we need to change this! where are all the pictures?? Ezanrki 18:44, 5 May 2011 (BST)
- Hey thanks for replying! I cant recall exactly which pages i noticed before but the latest one was here. There are many pics missing here. I also noticed some read links at the bottom of pages, some were in spanish? dont know what thats about. Ezanrki 18:09, 7 May 2011 (BST)
Estonian Flag Userbox
Thanks, for the help. Maybe you could add my Estonian Flag to Category:Userboxes. I accidently changed some colours of 2 flags,but I fixed them a immediately. Template:Userbox:Estonia Heainimene 19:22, 5 May 2011 (BST)
Hey Gboyers, I noticed that Wikia are copying the articles that I created word for word into their GTA Wiki. I would like to ask: Do they have the right to do this and isn't that considered plagarism?--MrLanceVanceDance 04:59, 14 May 2011 (BST)
Wikia keeps beating it to us
Hey Gboyers, i have been noticing that every time i create a new article, Wikia somehow creates the exact same article with the exact same content on the same day but at a earlier time. How exactly do they pull it off and how do we make them stop. --MrLanceVanceDance 07:48, 24 May 2011 (BST)
Hi, i'm not sure if you remember but i was made an admin of the GTA wikia, my role was mainly to help cleanup articles which had been vandalised since the community left. While i was absent from the GTA wiki, working on the L.A. Noire wiki, there was some kind of copyright issue with one of the admins, i think he was copying pages and not giving you credit for the articles, well he's lost his admin rights, anyway i'd like to know if you could name a few of the articles in question so i can give you proper credit, or if you don't agree with that, delete them. 15:31, 29 May 2011 (BST)
- I think there was a misunderstanding, i wasn't saying you should be punished, though i just read that how you must have and can see how it seemed that way to you, i was saying WikisEditor should be punished, sorry for the misunderstanding. I understand the rules and i supported the reason why the community left wikia, i don't add much info to that wiki i mainly revert vandalism and do some maintenance work. Your right I don't know that much about the situation but i'm just trying to help resolve the problem. If you have any issues in the future please contact me or Dan the man 1983, another GTA wiki admin, and we will try to sort it out. The Tom 18:52, 29 May 2011 (BST)
- I agree with you. The GTA wikia site seems to be made up of a bunch of kids, vandals and people who add fan fiction. This is a great site and i'm not trying to compete or anything, i just hated to see a once great wiki getting vandalised, thats the reason i accepted the admin rights. The Tom 19:07, 29 May 2011 (BST)
Hey Gboyers, has Wikia been banned from using our content? Also, it the answer is no, can you ban them from doing so? I don't like the way Wikia are using our content without referenceing us and without our permission--MrLanceVanceDance 11:06, 30 May 2011 (BST)
Problems with galleries
In case you haven't noticed, the galleries have been behaving bizarrely the past month or so. I've managed to identify a few specific problems and compiled them on my userpage:
Galleries not displaying properly.
- Galleries can bizarrely appear with only three images per row instead of the default four, as the gallery width is bound by an unspecified limit. This problem is not visible in edit previews. "perrow" parameter is still working, but results in galleries which allow one less image per row than as defined by perrow (i.e. only 4 images per row when perrow value is 5).
- Above-mentioned galleries will align to the left despite having instructions to align to the center.
- ZS 04:44, 2 June 2011 (BST)
Moving from Wikia
First I'd like to congratulate you and the staff for moving from Wikia, I think it's a really smart decision and I think Wikia has lost alot, they lost good editors and a wiki. GTW will be better than GTA Wikia, and will be the number 1 database on the net about the GTA series, it's just a matter of time until this wiki's popularity increases and I'm sure that everybody will realise that they must come and edit here and not there, just don't give up you and the staff and continue with the good work. Wikia will realise that they lost, and that they should have listened more to us than just putting money first and us second, they keep telling bureaucrats and admins to be nice to their communities and stuff and they themselves aren't at all, they just disrespect us.
Wikia's new Oasis skin is so terrible, when I sometimes go to runescape wiki and browse through the articles I see in some articles part of the content overlaps with Wikia's Wiki Activity that appears on the right, that's the thing above the "More From Wikia" advertisement. It looks terrible. Wikia really puts money first and content second.
Well, I think I should stop talking now, and start saying what I want, I would like like to move from Wikia just like you guys did, so please I really would like your help on this, as I am not really good with computer/internet codes, scripts and stuff, this could be a nightmare for me, so from where I begin?--Mr. User 22:18, 12 June 2011 (BST)
Well, I should have been more precise on this, first of all, I don't have a Wikia account, I just read wikis but I don't contribute, I read GTW, runescape wiki and The Sims Wiki. Second of all, of caurse I am not a bureaucrat or an admin on the wiki that I want to move. The wiki is The Sims Wiki, I can't stand watching it like this, I am pretty sure that if it moved here, it will be much better. I will make a Wikia account and start a blog post on there and explain to them what happened to GTW and tell them about the move and what is the benefits, I'll link back with what is going on. I am thinking if The Sims Wiki moved it will be Simspedia--Mr. User 11:35, 13 June 2011 (BST)
RE: Talk Page Categories
Yeah, I agree with you GBoyers. The polls aren't working well and what exactly is the point of keeping non working polls in this Wiki? All of the polls that don't work should be removed.--MrLanceVanceDance 07:27, 14 June 2011 (BST)
Audio file support
Is there a way to upload audio files (like .ogg) and embed them into a page? And the "Random Image" link in the navigation box is linked incorrectly.--spaceeinstein 16:23, 16 June 2011 (BST)
Hi, I started having problems with the site very suddenly a few days ago. Pages will hardly ever load for me anymore, maybe about three times every day the site will work normally for a minute or two. Otherwise the browser will just get stuck saying "waiting for 'grandtheftwiki.com/...'" at the bottom and nothing else will happen. I thought it was a random thing the site/my computer had going on but now I guess it isn't. I'm using Firefox 4 but I tried with IE8 today and it does the same thing. Is the site doing something to me or do you think the problem on my end? Thanks --Andreaz1 21:29, 3 July 2011 (BST)
Yes, I tried giving the link to this site to people on another forum I'm on a day or so ago and they all said this site worked perfectly. Around the same time I tried DownForEveryoneOrJustMe which also said that it was just me, which had me puzzled. I just noticed though that removing the cookies seem to - not 100% accurately - allow this site to work at least for a few seconds, so something might be corrupting them, and doing it very fast too. I'm not very good at this sort of thing but that might be something you could look at? Thanks for your help. --Andreaz1 23:11, 3 July 2011 (BST)
Moving's never easy...
As a Rollback - one Staff member - on Grand Theft Wiki "en français", the French-speaking version of GTA Wiki owned by Wikia, I've decided to post a message for the owner of this encyclopedia to know that I (and probably the whole Staff) totally support your attempt to escape Wikia's orders and aspiration for profit. We would really like to help you in your adventure to defeat the former GTA Wiki, that is why we will discuss the possibility, on our wiki, to link our articles to yours and not to gta.wikia.com; on the other hand, we are also trying to strengthen our own Grand Theft Wiki: create articles, upload images... Oh yeah, we do add images to our wiki, which come from this encyclopedia you're owning. What is the corresponding license?
Thank you anyway for leading the path of resistance against advertising on the wikis,
--GTAxel 19:52, 4 July 2011 (BST)
Increasing our content
I think we should get affliated with the german gta wiki(http://de.gta.wikia.com/), and the spanish one too(http://es.gta.wikia.com/) because they have alot of articles that we are missing here, also I made an account and I told on the main page talk about the new wiki here, I said that i am just stating a fact not advertising, also the admins there are too harsh unlike here, there they are demoting the old staff's rights they did that to Chimpso :(.Mr. User 14:14, 10 July 2011 (BST)
Is it ok to drop a massage to the users at gta.wikia.com in a friendly manner informing them about this site, I am aware that everybody is free to do what he/she wants to do, if they want to move or not--Mr. User 16:20, 10 July 2011 (BST)
Last thing is Wikia's site illegal?Mr. User 17:02, 10 July 2011 (BST)
Hi Gboyers, the reason for me having two accounts is that I am Mr. User I tried to sgin up to wikia by that name but I couldn't because of username similarity, so I signed up for wikia I signed up with that, and when the arguement between me and the tom happend he blocked me on wikia's site so I signed up here with the same name to let him know that is me. I could have just replyed with my acc Mr. User however I wont use this acc, I will always be on Mr. User and link this acc with the other.--Hiola 18:55, 10 July 2011 (BST)
- I admit that was immature, I've already removed it. The Tom 19:12, 10 July 2011 (BST)
Users & Copying articles
Can you try and control your users, random users keep coming to the GTA Wikia and editing pages saying come to the Grand Theft Wiki, I don't see why they need to involve themselves in this and its extremely annoying. Also we no longer copy articles and haven't done since the guy who was copying them had his admin rights removed and left, but your claiming that were stealing your content which we are not so could you not claim that we are please, thanks. The Tom 16:33, 10 July 2011 (BST)
- Well can you avoid telling them not to "send them a NICE polite message advising them that the community has moved here, and that you'd like the to join us at GrandTheftWiki.com" because they seem to take that to mean remove content from pages and replacing it with go to GrandTheftWiki.com amongst other things. I've never had a problem with you or the GrandTheftWiki all I'm trying to do is help the GTA Wiki, people seem to go to that wiki more than this one so I think it would be better for them if they found a helpful informative wiki rather than a vandalised mess. Since I'm now a Bureaucrat on that site I can unblock you if you want. Also I know you didn't mention this but Chimpso having his rights removed was a community decision, I actually opposed this at first but then removed my vote completely, but to be honest he is inactive on the GTA Wikia so he doesn't really need admin rights does he? Anyway I'm sorry if I came across negatively in my earlier message but it gets frustrtaing when your trying to help a site that constantly gets vandalised by users who have just found out about the move and have decided that they need to inform the GTA Wikia users about the move by vandalising pages. I'm just doing what I feel is best for the GTA Wikia users and its visitors by trying to re-build the GTA Wiki into an informative and helpful site. The Tom 19:12, 10 July 2011 (BST)
- Huh? why did you just repeat your last message? The Tom 20:09, 10 July 2011 (BST)
- I never requested to become Staff on that wiki an admin asked Wikia to promote me just so I could help out which I had no prior desire to do until I was asked. Honestly I like the new skin, yes there's less room for content but thats not really as big a problem as you make out, I never said you should give up and come back to Wikia. None of the Admins are attention-seeking admins who just want to be staff, they are good users who have helped the GTA Wiki. "But you chose to take control of the abandoned, illegitimate copy just so you could become staff", thats not true at all, I didn't join Wikia to become Staff I joined Wikia to help out, in the process I've become a Bureaucrat on the Mafia, L.A. Noire and GTA Wiki's but that was never my goal. I never had a problem with you but it seems like you have a problem with me and the rest of the GTA Wikia community for no reason, they are just the users who didn't want to move and liked wikia. The Tom 22:03, 10 July 2011 (BST)
- I've had a few problems with Wikia in the past and I agree with many of your points, anyway I'm glad you don't have a problem with me and if you ever have any problems with the GTA Wikia then let me know and we can try and resolve them :). 02:41, 11 July 2011 (BST)