User talk:Grand Theft AJ
| This is the talk page for User:Grand Theft AJ. Please leave a message.
Always sign off your messages using four tildes (~~~~ ) to automatically add your signature.
- 1 Welcome
- 2 Edit war
- 3 Claude
- 4 Move Page
- 5 Hey
- 6 Stats
- 7 6FTofDIRT
- 8 RE: What?
- 9 Nomination Suggestion
- 10 Re:Pictures
- 11 Mount Chiliad
- 12 Skateboard
- 13 Trusted Users & Patrolling
- 14 Quotes
- 15 Re: Era Vs 3D/HD
- 16 Re: Welcome to the Wiki!
- 17 New trailers
- 18 I am a GTA fanatic also.
- 19 Promotion to Administrator
Hi, welcome to Grand Theft Wiki! Thanks for your edit to the User:Grand Theft AJ page.
Hi. I will not block you for your participation in the edit war, because you didn't post any malicious comments. You should know that if you are simply reversing another users edits 3 times, that is an edit war. If you disagree, you need to discuss it. If you can't reach an agreement (or it becomes abusive), get staff involved and STOP replying, and stop editing the page. By reversing the edit 50 times (and them doing the same), it makes it very difficult to manage and messy in the history and recent edits. Any abusive messages will not be tolerated. Also, use of the word "gay" to mean "bad" or "silly" is not permitted. Please enjoy your time on GTW, and make sure you stay out of messes like this. Gboyers talk 00:17, November 27, 2009 (UTC)
- Thanks, appreciate it, I went about it wrong at first, but I did try discussing it with him on the talk page instead. However he was a very difficult person to reason with.
- sorry for the cursing. i thought since there is a **** load of cursing in gta that we would be able to. my mistake. it will never happen again
Lol, Thenuke neither of us were referring to you, so don't worry. Grand Theft AJ 00:47, December 2, 2009 (UTC)
- I did warn you. You have continued to fight after being warned. You are suspended for two weeks. If you choose to return, it is on the condition that you do not get involved in edit wars or arguments at all. Gboyers talk 14:45, December 5, 2009 (UTC)
I can understand that. But some people just get under my skin, most of the edits I make that other people start arguments with I'm correct, and I have proof right now that can prove I'm right, especially about the Elizabeta edit argument, can I at least explain to you my proof? Grand Theft AJ 20:17, December 5, 2009 (UTC)
I'll still take my 2 week suspension without any complaining, I'd just like to explain my side of the situations haha. Grand Theft AJ 20:18, December 5, 2009 (UTC)
- There are two completely different ways of doing things. Either you discuss your suggestion on the talk page, explain your proof and come to an agreement; or you can shout at them, revert their edits 50 times, swear at them, call them names and get banned. The choice is yours. Gboyers talk 21:07, December 5, 2009 (UTC)
I got you. From now on, if there is a possibility of an edit war, I'll discuss it on the talk page, and if we can't come to an agreement, I'll contact an Admin for they're opinion on the situation. I guess I'll see ya in 2 weeks, thanks for hearing me out though. And no more name calling. Grand Theft AJ 21:39, December 5, 2009 (UTC)
All Claude cared about in GTA III was revenge on catalina, but maybe he did like Maria, who knows? but still it's implied that he killed her.
- No, because if Claude only cared about revenge, he wouldn't have brought the 500 thousand for Maria's safe return. It was only when Catalina betrayed him again, did he want to kill Catalina. So he wouldn't have killed Maria at the end. Grand Theft AJ 05:04, December 31, 2009 (UTC)
- Yeah but even if its true, it still implies that he killed her, you got to at least admit that Qwerty4965324 08:51, December 31, 2009 (UTC)
...That doesn't make any sense... "but even if its true, it still implies that he killed her," ... no it doesn't. I'm not trying to argue, I'm just letting you know, it's implyingthat it was a warning shot. Or else all Claude did would have been for nothing, and besides the death of Catalina, pointless. Grand Theft AJ 23:23, December 31, 2009 (UTC)
Only Staff can move pages. You can simply place Template:Move at the top to request a move, and then ask a member of staff to do it. You should not make a new page and copy the content, because that doesn't preserve the history of the page (who wrote what), which we need to do for licensing reasons. I've deleted the 2nd page and moved the original to the new name. Gboyers talk 18:10, February 4, 2010 (UTC)
- Oh alright my mistake, I know how to handle that in the future now. Grand Theft AJ 22:18, February 4, 2010 (UTC)
Grand Theft AJ how's it going, you moved from the other wiki too? Siiiick 6FTofDIRT 00:34, 8 November 2010 (UTC)
I saw your complaint about stats not being transferred to this wiki. That's just something I need to do whenever a user moves here, and I've done it for you, so you now have your full edit count. Enjoy the new site! Gboyers 00:38, 8 November 2010 (UTC)
- Alrighty, thanks a lot, I was worried for a bit there haha. And I am enjoying the new site, at least the amount of spammers has significantly gone down. For now at least. Grand Theft AJ 08:38, 23 December 2010 (UTC)
Hi. You appear to be the same person as User:6FTofDIRT. Using multiple accounts is strictly against the Rules of Grand Theft Wiki, unless you have a good reason. Using one account to nominate the other for promotion is an abuse of multiple accounts. You know you are allowed to nominate yourself - but it appears you have used a second account to pretend you have support from the community. Please pick one account to continue with, and the other will be closed. I quote rule 5 below - Gboyers 11:19, 23 December 2010 (UTC)
- "Creating multiple user accounts for one person is forbidden, particularly if it is to circumvent a block from the site, to mislead others or to create the illusion of greater support for an issue."
6FTofDIRT isn't my account it's my cousin, he's staying with me for the holidays and I asked him if he would nominate me for administrator, so he did, but pretends he doesn't know me online to avoid any complications, which clearly hasn't worked. Plus he has (willingly) helped me with edit disagreements when trying to make a point. I have better things to do with my time then make more then one account and try to nominate myself. The only reason I'm on this site is because I love Grand Theft Auto, and I want to make the Wiki better. Grand Theft AJ 05:09, 24 December 2010 (UTC)
- I can see that 6FoD only ever edits from your house, on the same days that you edit, never anywhere else. His email address also has AJ in it, implying that you set the account up. And if you tell him what to do, that's not very different to a second account of your own.
- This is why you should always be honest and make it clear that he is your cousin. That way, if you do get found out (we always check) it doesn't look like you're hiding something or pretending to have more support for an issue. Fake conversations like this, which you did whilst in the same building as each other, only wind us up and are clear attempts to mislead staff.
- I will allow both accounts to stay open, assuming that you are separate people. You must not ask 6FOD to do things for you, such as help win arguments or nominate each other for promotion. You of course can (and should) edit together, but using multiple accounts to influence the wiki is against the rules. I hope you understand - Gboyers 10:59, 24 December 2010 (UTC)
Well when I was trying to get him into the GTA Wiki community he said he didn't want to be bothered with all the e-mails and stuff, I told him he could block them but he didn't grasp that concept, so I just gave him my old e-mail account from years ago to use so any e-mails would go straight to that since it isn't used anymore. Plus my cousin has lived on and off at my place for the past like 3 years, we have the only computer he'd ever use for it. He's the one who suggested he put random things while conversing with me so I didn't get banned for miss-use of the site, and since I don't want to get banned for little things, I took his adivce, didn't think anything of it. Seeing as it wasn't really a big deal, all we did was make edits together. And then I asked if he'd wanna nominate me since he knows I'm a die-hard GTA fan that I'd be a good admin, it's not like anyone else on the site personally knows me, so I figured I'd get the support from someone who knows. Grand Theft AJ 21:20, 24 December 2010 (UTC)
- I can understand your motivation, but I'm letting you know that pretending not to know each other is deceitful and wrong. I hope you can see the difference between you being nominated by people who know you would be a good admin, and you being nominated by someone you know in real life. I hope you can also see the difference between other people agreeing with your point of view, and your cousin taking your side in an argument. As I explained, it's against those rules to use more than one account to win an argument or help make decisions on this wiki - even if the account is owned by someone else. I can understand how you would think it would be easier to pretend you dont know each other, but that lie just makes it look like you're trying to tricking trick us. Just be honest, don't get into any fights, and you won't be banned. Simple. As I said, I'm happy for you to continue, just don't try to trick anyone. If you would like to be considered to become staff, I suggest you nominate yourself. That way, other people on this wiki can make an informed decision. If your cousin would like to support you, he can say so, but he needs to admit that he's your cousin. Otherwise it's unfair to people who don't have cousins, who need to earn their nominations by being a good editor. Gboyers 22:47, 24 December 2010 (UTC)
I get your point completely, sorry if we came off as deceitful, that wasn't the way my mind was working as it was going on. I just figured it would avoid any unnecessary complications (which it didn't). I'd like to think of myself as a good editor, I've never spammed, or mislead at any point in my whole editing "career" on this site, I've cleaned up many pages, and have tried to help and give GTA-knowledge to many other users. But seeing as this is mainly my opinion, I guess I'd like to nominate myself as well. I would just hope others can appreciate my love for GTA. Thanks for hearing me out and everything. And sorry for the confusion and trickery, wasn't my intentions. Grand Theft AJ 23:21, 24 December 2010 (UTC)
- Ahh, that talk page was created by another user, and the content of the page was Grow up, kid. C'mon. - it wasn't a serious discussion, so I deleted it. As I didn't type my own edit summary, the software automatically created the edit summary: Content was: "Grow up, kid. C'mon", as you can see here. The email would have included this edit summary. You must be "watching" the article (not just the talk page), to have received that email. Sorry for the misunderstanding! JFletcherTalk (formerly User:Biggest gta fan ever) 05:00, 3 February 2011 (UTC)
Hi there. Regarding your self-nomination for promotion to staff, could you expand on your reasoning, as I'm not sure what you where implying? You put "this Wiki needs people who actually know what they're talking about when it comes to Grand Theft Auto, and if I know anything, it's Grand Theft Auto."? Any user can contribute to the wiki, fix articles, organise the wiki and help other users. How would this help you be a better staff member, or how would GTW benefit from having someone knowledgeable as staff? gboyers talk 01:02, 15 August 2011 (BST)
- Hey Gboyers, sorry I thought the expanding part would have come after the self-nomination was posted or I would have put a better reasoning. What I meant by what I stated: "this Wiki needs people who actually know what they're talking about when it comes to Grand Theft Auto, and if I know anything, it's Grand Theft Auto" is that everytime I log onto GTA Wiki, I have to change back articles or statements that 12 year old kids come in and tweak, when they actually don't know what they're talking about. I feel that when I try to discuss why something is wrong, no one takes it seriously because they figure I'm just another kid with an account tweaking GTA Wiki as I wish. However thats not the case, I'm in college for gaming, and I litereally plan on pursuing RockstarGames as a future career. And no I'm not a 13 year GTA-Fan Boy who thinks he can just hop on board with RockstarGames, I'm workin to get there. With that said, I'm a real Grand Theft Auto fan, and maybe people would understand what I'm trying to explain to them if they see I have some sort of authority here. And if at any time you feel I was taking advantage of my authority (if so given), then you can just as quickly demote me. Thanks for taking your own time to read this, and I hope you consider. Have a good one! Grand Theft AJ 16:40, 16 August 2011 (BST)
- Thanks for your reply. I asked you expand early because I'm not sure whether a staff position is right for what you want to achieve. I don't doubt your enthusiasm or knowledge about GTA at all. My concern is this. The role of an administrator is to make sure the wiki keeps running smoothly. They are entrusted with have extra tools, such as being able to protect/delete pages and block users, for them to be able to help the wiki more. Whilst staff clearly have some "authority" in the sense of saying what behaviour is unacceptable and being able to enforce the rules, it does not always make them right. I really don't want it to seem that you have to be staff to be heard, listened to, or understood.
- The thing I hate most about Wikipedia is how new users are treated with such contempt and disrespect - they can expect to have their edits all reverted instantly. That is no way to treat a community. Here, we're happy to accept the edits of ANY user, and we all encourage each other to improve. As a normal user, I want you to be able to fix pages and help other people improve. However, I do not think having the tools to delete pages and ban users would help, or should be necessary to do this. I can't go around making EVERY knowledgeable user an administrator, and encouraging a culture where ONLY staff are ever listened to!
- With edits like this, this, this and others, you have reverted another users' edits without explanation. I'm not doubting whether they should or shouldn't have been reverted, but if someone reverted your edit with no explanation, I'm sure you would rightly wonder why and might even be upset. Someone put time and effort into making those edits, they thought it was the right thing to do, and for them to be wiped off for seemingly no reason is bound to upset them. Edit summaries are important for edits where people might not understand what you did or why you did it, or where people might disagree. Whilst you seem good at keeping edit summaries for edits, it's the ones that affect other users that are most important. I need to make sure my staff members can justify every decision they make, and if the excuse is "because I'm staff" then they should not hold the role. People need to understand your reasoning, rather than just accept what you do because you're staff. This is my concern about your reasoning for wanting promotion.
- I'm not at all trying to suggest that you crave power or that you're unsuitable to be staff or anything, I'm more concerned that you're saying that you are ignored by other users! I want to help resolve that situation. Do you have any suggestions? One upcoming feature on GTW is the introduction of 'projects' - where users take on responsibilities for maintaining certain areas of the wiki, adding a certain thing or fixing a certain problem. For example, there could be a project to add video walkthroughs to all missions, and a project to rewrite all the Help: pages. The people involved in those projects would also take the lead on deciding how to do things. At the moment, it tends to be staff who decide policy and style rules, but I'd like more users to be involved with this. Just remember: staff are just normal users with a couple of extra tools. gboyers talk 23:50, 16 August 2011 (BST)
- In reply to Pictures
The images that you uploaded, apart from being incorrectly named and having no screenshot template, were of no use to the articles they were in and some to the website in general. For example there is no need to have a close-up of Victor Vance from GTA Vice City opposite an image of him in GTA Vice City, or an image of Victor with Umberto Robina. Images should be used to illustrate something to the reader/visitor, which that does not. Images on character articles in particular should feature events that impact that characters life.
As for edit summaries they are not mandatory and are something I do not use. I would rather use that time to improve the site. I'm also well aware that I am the least popular member of staff on the site due to my no-nonsense attitude to anything that is either not needed or not necessary. Someone, however, has to enforce some sort of order on the website in regards to content and images. This is something that is needed and I make no apologies for attempting to maintaining a high standard on the wiki. I'm also currently working on organising the site better, requiring mass edits, making edit summaries more of a hassle than ever. A-Dust 02:28, 23 September 2011 (BST)
- If I did write an edit summary, which takes longer than three seconds, then I'd be spending far too much time doing so, especially at the moment. Across the five years I've been here I would have spend 25 hours 37 and a half minutes of my life making edit summaries using the calculation that each edit summary takes three seconds. And if you want to see the number of edits I've made in just over a week click here.
- As for the pictures I am more than willing to discuss a new profile picture for Victor Vance. The current one is blurry yes but it is a close-up of him and him alone, as opposed to the image you uploaded, half of which as I recall had nothing in. A higher quality image would be welcome but not at the expense of showing the subject matter alone. And I'm well aware that I am not the only fan of the series editing here. Over the five years I've been contributing here I've seen so many and without them and the visitors the wiki would have died out long ago. A-Dust 20:30, 24 September 2011 (BST)
- I have no problem with you or any other user of the website, except for one particular vandal. Nor do I have any intention for creating enemies. As for the time, I've no problem with the amount I spend on here editing, I'd just rather spend that time actually editing. As for the image that one is very good. Feel free to edit that into the Victor Vance article. If you do add that as the main infobox image please re-add the other into a gallery section at the bottom of the page. I'd also please ask you, when uploading images, to use the image naming policy (subject-gameinitials.jpg/jpeg/png). Just creates less work especially as I'm attempting to better organise the images. Thanks. A-Dust 21:27, 24 September 2011 (BST)
- You didn't come across as hostile to me so don't worry about it. As for the images I'm currently going through every image on the site so the ones currently around aren't so important, just the future ones. A-Dust 18:26, 25 September 2011 (BST)
Hi. About File:MountChiliad-GTAV.JPG, where did you get the mountain's name from? If you are just basing on the assumption that all locale from the old SA is in new SA, then it should not be stated that the mountain is Mount Chiliad. It is better to state that mountains will be a featured landscape.--spaceeinstein 21:15, 2 November 2011 (GMT)
This addition implies "Rockstar Games" directly developed both Bully and GTA.
But Rockstar Games is only an umbrella company with different developers that tend to work independently and have different ways of games development. Bully is a Rockstar Vancouver game, while Rockstar North developed much of the GTA series; neither two have been know to work together. This makes it harder to be sure if any game mechanics in Bully is closely related to those of GTA series. I'm afraid I have to remove the addition at the Skateboard article for this reason. - ZS (talk) 16:54, 4 November 2011 (GMT)
- Well first of all, all of the different Rockstar companies under RockstarGames take from each other and help each other out with specific areas other companies specialize in more then another. Second of all, I made that edit a while ago and I already know that. Didn't have to write it on my talk page. Grand Theft AJ (talk) 02:31, 6 November 2011 (GMT)
Trusted Users & Patrolling
Hi AJ. We've made a few changes to Grand Theft Wiki, our staff structure and the way we monitor edits. As you're a Trusted User, we've given you the right to patrol other users' edits. This means you can check out the edits that haven't been checked yet, and either endorse them, fix them or revert them. As you're trusted, your edits are automatically marked as patrolled too! It would be a great help if you could patrol a few edits from Special:Patrol each time you visit GTW, and it would look good if you were nominated for promotion too! See Grand Theft Wiki:Patrolling for help and more info, and give it a go! Let me know if you have any questions - gboyers talk 00:37, 8 January 2012 (UTC)
- Alright thanks a lot, I'll be sure to do quite a bit of patrolling now and then, and I'll definitely be heavily active during the release of Grand Theft Auto V! Extremely excited for that I'm pre-ordering the second I can haha. Grand Theft AJ (talk) 01:14, 8 January 2012 (UTC)
I've removed the various character quotes because, to be quite honest, they make the page look rather ugly in my opinion and always have done. They also serve little purpose. As for introducing the character better, the article will already do that and the character should be best explained, in brief, in the opening paragraph. A-Dust 22:42, 23 November 2012 (UTC)
Re: Era Vs 3D/HD
There is an ongoing discussion at Community:Discussions/Eras and Universes about which system to adopt. The consensus appears to be to use the "Lowest Common Denominator" (LCD) system. This means if we just refer to 1 game, we name the page or link about that game. If it's about multiple games, we name the era. If it spans multiple eras, we use the corresponding universe. So with the example you provided, it should say III and IV eras. There's no reason to 'upgrade' to using Universes there, as using the 2 eras is equally accurate.
Another relevant point in the discussion is consistency - where we might currently say "III, IV and V eras" we probably shouldn't say "In the GTA III Era and HD Universe" - we should stick to using universes for everything in that sentence (3D and HD Universes). A further point is that "Eras" refers to groups of games whilst "Universes" refers to a canon/storyline/universe instead - there was a suggestion that games/features/vehicles should be named under Era, but characters/missions/businesses should be named under a universe. I think this is what A-Dust is trying to do. However, I don't think that it's reasonable to have a big list of which types of page fall under which grouping - that's what we tried to do with Locations but it just didn't work properly, we can't expect every editor to be able to do that on every edit on every page. So I'm in favour of sticking with LCD, but being consistent across a sentence.
See my Discussions/Eras and Universes/Examples for the right phrasing to use. I urge you to read through and respond to the discussion, to ensure the right decision is made! gboyers talk 10:29, 2 December 2012 (UTC)
Thanks. I'm just trying to help where I can to make this wiki more complete. I'm very stoked for GTA V, and have already pre-ordered it. I've been playing GTA IV a bit more lately just to get back into playing the series before the new one hits. I don't really have any questions on the series. I'll let you know if I can think of anything. -IanPhoenix (talk|edits) 03:05, 21 December 2012 (UTC)
Looks like Michael's wife is gonna be too busy with her boyfriend to be available for friendship activities, you think? LOL. What'd you think of the new trailers? Ghost Leader (talk|edits) 07:05, 1 May 2013 (BST)
I am a GTA fanatic also.
Hi Grand Theft AJ. Thanks for sending me a message earlier. I am also a huge GTA fan. I have one question I would like you to try and answer. What do you think happened to CJ, and the Grove Street Families after the events of San Andreas in the early 1990's? Please get back to me. Thanks.
Promotion to Administrator
Hi Grand Theft AJ - given your long history of good service on Grand Theft Wiki, I thought it would be the right time to give you a shot at the role of Administrator.
The roll of Administrators here are to keep the wiki running smoothly - talking to people where they need some guidance, stepping in only where necessary, and being trusted to use extra tools to help maintain the wiki.
Check out Grand Theft Wiki:Staff to see more information the role of staff and Special:ListGroupRights to see the full list of additional rights and tools here. You'll see Special:SpecialPages has a bunch of new tools you can use too.