| This is the talk page for User:Gtabot. Please leave a message.
Always sign off your messages using four tildes (~~~~ ) to automatically add your signature.
| This account is NOT a real user. It is an authorised bot operated by User:Gboyers.
This page is for requests for operations you'd like this bot to do.
Rating Systems Category
Liberty Tree articles
Could you rename Category:Liberty Tree articles to Category:Liberty Tree Articles (capitalisation)? I was looking for a category to rename myself, but that has too many articles! Biggest GTA Fan EverTalk 06:01, 8 February 2009 (UTC)
Could you undo all edits by User:Nodnarb3 to last version by User:Learner22 on the Liberty City in GTA III Era page. I'd do it myself but I can't revert or undo intermediate edits. --Gta-mysteries 09:31, May 20, 2010 (UTC)
User: Andrew Nicholson
I seem to have lost my social page I think it may have been deleted how can I retrieve it?Andrew nicholson 16:18, June 7, 2010 (UTC)
Hi i was just wondering how you become an admin
- This is not the correct place to ask this. Ezanrki 13:19, 6 November 2010 (UTC)
Hey Gtabot, can you do me a favour and delete the unused files that I have marked for deletion? ALso, can you please remove the "Unused Image" tag from images I have added to several articles but failed to remove? Also, can you please stop adding unneccessary images and/or duplicate images of images that already exist on this wiki?--MrLanceVanceDance 11:52, 8 August 2011 (BST)
- I'll get the first one done easily. I'll look into the second one. As for duplicate images, can you provide an example where I did this? If you mean from last year, we had some trouble importing images automatically from Wikia, so that made some duplicates. If you mean more recently, let me know. gboyers talk 12:07, 8 August 2011 (BST)
I think I mean from last year, but don't worry, we should easily get that sorted out.--MrLanceVanceDance 12:13, 8 August 2011 (BST)
Hey Gtabot, can you do me the following favours:
1. Move Shoreside Vale Safehouse (GTA LCS) to "Shoreside Vale Safehouse".
2. Move Staunton Island Safehouse (GTA LCS) to "Staunton Island Safehouse".
I can't perform the following moves because I don't have the right to delete pages. Thanks.--MrLanceVanceDance 10:47, 13 October 2011 (BST)
- Gtabot is for making large-scale automated edits (such as renaming/removing categories/templates on hundreds of pages), not individual page moves. If you look at the target pages Shoreside Vale Safehouse and Staunton Island Safehouse, they both exist and need to be deleted, which is why you aren't able to move the pages yourself. Are you planning on merging the pages, or making the LCS one the primary article for that title? gboyers talk 14:58, 13 October 2011 (BST)
What I am planning on doing is to move Shoreside Vale Safehouse (GTA LCS) to "Shoreside Vale Safehouse" (without the LCS) and to move Staunton Island Safehouse (GTA LCS) to "Staunton Island Safehouse" (without the LCS), as there is no risk of confusion. However, I cannot delete things so I cannot carry out the moves.--MrLanceVanceDance 01:14, 14 October 2011 (BST)
- Shoreside Vale Safehouse is a redirect to Shoreside Vale Safehouse (Disambiguation) (which should be moved to the name without the brackets) and Staunton Island Safehouse is a disambig. What are you planning to do with the disambig pages? If you want to use those titles for the more prominent one and simply link to the other from the top of the pages, wouldn't GTA III be more prominent? JFletcherTalk (formerly User:Biggest gta fan ever) 01:37, 14 October 2011 (BST)
I am going to add "(Disambiguation)" to their titles to avoid confusion. Also, in GTA III, "Safehouses" aren't called "Safehouses". They are called "Hideouts". It was GTA VC that first started using the terms "Save Points" and "Safehouses".--MrLanceVanceDance 01:44, 14 October 2011 (BST)
- OK then, there are a couple of points here:
- I personally don't really like pages with (Disambiguation) on the end, it's a fairly long word, and a lot to type. I think that if we need to have a disambig, it should be at the main title. Often we don't need a disambig page, we simply have the more prominent page at the main title, and it links directly to the other page(s). As there are only two articles in that disambig, it isnt necessarily required (a simple link will do), but we need to decide which one is more prominent first.
- Fair enough about GTA III not calling them safehouses, but I would prefer to make the page easy to find rather than be 100% technically correct. The word safehouse is used throughout the series, and is very familiar to people who play these games. Does everyone realise that this word wasn't always used? (Obviously not, as the name is used in many GTA III related articles on this wiki). I think that people will look for Shoreside Vale Safehouse for information about both GTA III and GTA LCS, even though it's not called that in game. What do you think? JFletcherTalk (formerly User:Biggest gta fan ever) 01:57, 14 October 2011 (BST)
- EDIT: Actually, now I see that you've moved Shoreside Vale Safehouse (GTA III) to Shoreside Vale Hideout, it does make sense for usability reasons to make these changes, and have no pages with brackets (my argument above was more about which page should have the brackets and which shouldn't). I think in this case that the disambig can be deleted, and simply have a link that the top of the page to link to the GTA III version. Thoughts? JFletcherTalk (formerly User:Biggest gta fan ever) 02:03, 14 October 2011 (BST)
- I agree.--MrLanceVanceDance 02:34, 14 October 2011 (BST)
This isn't as simple as that - what we do here will have repercussions into how we deal with other disambig pages and brackets in page titles and different words for the same thing (hideout/safehouse). So let's not dig ourselves into a big inconsistent hole.
- For pages like GTA where 99% of people know exactly what it refers to (the series, not GTA 1), it's fine to let one page keep the title. In that situation, all the other pages use other titles (avoiding brackets where possible). This is even though technically speaking the series doesn't have an official name, and "Grand Theft Auto" refers specifically to the first game, but 99% of people here agree that GTA=series GTA1=game.
- Then there are titles like Claude, where one title is more obvious than the other, but we still have Claude (disambiguation)
- Then there are other situations like Mike where the difference is less obvious, so we can choose whether to force up the disambiguation. In this situation, we let Mike take over.
- Then there are titles which refer to types of things, such as Limousine or Helicopter, where there isn't a specific article for them. We could use a plain disambiguation page, but it's better to use a proper list article like Fixed-Wing Aircraft or Police Car.
For the safehouses, only one of them technically is a safehouse and the other technically is a 'hideout' (same thing, just different terminology), but we can't expect most users to instinctively know that. The names we're using are completely made up, so users might search for one term expecting to find the other one easily. So that is one point in favour of using the current bracket layout, but brackets are difficult to link to (do you add a space? Do you start with a capital? Are there spaces inside the brackets? Which type of parenthesis do you use?). This is why, for most pages on this wiki that occur in multiple games, we add "in GTA III" or "in GTA III Era" to the title like - Safehouses in GTA Vice City - that is much more guessable and usable than anything using brackets. We should extend that to these pages - Shoreside Vale Safehouse in GTA III.
The only question is whether we should use "Hideout" for the two games where that term is used instead. I don't think we should, because being consistent is important to how usable the wiki is, and how easy it is to organise - we use 'safehouse' everywhere else. If someone searches for hideout it will still take them to the right page, and they will very quickly realise that we always use the word 'safehouse' here. Just like if they search for Quests they'll find missions. However, I'm not 100% sure on this point, it will require a further decision. In the meantime, stick with whatever we use for each game's list (here).
So I would suggest we stick to having 3 pages, but rename them to their correct name:
- Shoreside Vale Safehouse (which should be a disambiguation page)
- Shoreside Vale Hideout in GTA III
- Shoreside Vale Safehouse in GTA Liberty City Stories (we don't abbreviate to LCS, for consistency with other games that we don't abbreviate)
The page Shoreside Vale Hideout should redirect to the disambig, whilst Shoreside Vale Safehouse in GTA III should redirect to its respective page with 'hideout' in the title. Make sense? gboyers talk 05:55, 14 October 2011 (BST)
There has been a change in how the
<youtube></youtube> tags work recently.
The way they work now
will create the video previews as we are used to seeing them, such as the GTA V trailer on the Main Page. However, almost every other page still uses the old tag which would have looked like this:
<youtube>hvoD7ehZPcM</youtube>. Is it possible for this bot to fix all of these now broken videos? They are almost everywhere, like game trailers and mission walkthroughs and it doesn't look very good with broken code everywhere. Andreaz1 (talk|edits) 00:49, 3 September 2013 (BST)
- This is a very good idea to have this bot do this. It seems to be a tedious and repetitive task that should be easily fixed with a bot. Ian Phoenixtalk 01:14, 3 September 2013 (BST)