| This is the talk page for User:GuildKnight. Please leave a message.
Always sign off your messages using four tildes (~~~~ ) to automatically add your signature.
Mission: Reuniting the Families
Hi, I'm AK47bandit, and I made a major edit to the "Reuniting the Families" mission page yesterday. I understand that you wish to standardize and focus on the mission pages, and I also think this is a great idea!
Having a walkthrough for each mission and details about objectives and unlockables is essential for any mission page. However, this is mostly helpful for reguler players of the game, comparing mission details against one another, or people trying to go through the game for the first time.
I think that if a summary (written from a cinimatic viewpoint) of each mission would be included on each page, it would help show how the mission is important to the plot of the game. It would also be much more easily understood by people who have not had any experiance with the game firsthand. One of the awesome features of the game is how the story supports and compliments the gameplay. Also, I hope that this wiki could provide information and help introduce GTA to people who have never played the game and are just plain curious. But I also understand that you don't want pages that are too long, but I think that consice summmarys could be included without making pages uncomfortably large.
In conclusion, I hope that I can contribute to this wiki. I don't mean to intentionally hamper any of your efforts to organize mission pages, and I hope I can help in any way possible. Also, I would like to remark that this wiki is much cooler than the regular wikipedia!
(Response on User talk:AK47bandit)
- Just to chime in here, I think having detailed walkthroughs is super important for attracting new readers.. Walkthroughs are by far the most searched for thing for any game online. I would even suggest adding the work "walkthrough" to your page names so these articles show up on google searches, (i.e. GTA IV Walkthroughs/Reuniting the families or Reuniting the families Walkthrough) Just my two cents :) angies<staff /> (talk) 00:38, 23 January 2008 (UTC)
- That's not a bad idea - "walkthrough" always did seem to get a good few hits from google. Although probably we could do as good a job by using ==Walkthrough== as the subheading for the step-by-step detail inside mission articles, and having for all pages that involve it? I don't think meta tags are particularly useful these days, but the MediaWiki:Pagetitle you were just editing would be a good place to have the word. Gboyers (?) 00:57, 23 January 2008 (UTC)
Congrats on your adminship.. the patrolling function is available in MW core, see http://help.wikia.com/wiki/Help:Recent_changes_patrol for some basic info angies<staff /> (talk) 00:26, 23 January 2008 (UTC)
- Hello. I've enabled this feature for GTA. Please let me know if you want it limited to admins. By default, any logged in user can patrol. Angela<staff /> (talk) 04:56, 23 January 2008 (UTC)
Thanks for the info! I'll try to help add on to mission pages, and keep my summaries precise and consice. If you need to reformat or if I need to edit my work, feel free to do so or give me a heads up! (The cutscenes are my favorite part of the game. People like Mike Toreno, Ryder, and Jizzy really crack me up. :) ) AK47bandit 05:20, 2 February 2008 (UTC)
Yeah, I think I'll clean up some of the vechicle pages. If you could look over the edit I did on the page The Mothership the truth's van, and leave me some feedback and advice, that'd be great! AK47bandit 05:36, 2 February 2008 (UTC)
On the gang warfare page my post was deleted because of "innaccurate information". I put N/A as a gang colour for the mafia, because although some members of the mob might dress in grey, it is not the universal gang colour.
Hi, GuildKnight. Thanks for the list. There are things on there I was thinking of as well, so I would be more than happy to accomplish what I can from your list. As I'm sure you read, I am focusing on San Fierro first. I will then move on to Los Santos, Las Venturas, and then towns/counties. Thanks again, and happy editing! EganioTalk 05:46, 11 May 2008 (UTC)
Style guide is definitely required. Grand Theft Wiki:Layout Guide is an old one from before the GTW merge. Match it up with Grand Theft Wiki:Consistency and the (limited) Help documentation. Are you aiming this to be Policy (rules) or Help (advice)? The term "guide" implies guidelines, but people can stray outside the guidelines if they know what they're doing. Either way is fine, you just need to make sure you're writing it for one or the other. Gboyers talk 00:59, 20 May 2008 (UTC)
- Yeah, it needs some work still. I also plan to include a list of recommended layouts; Game pages, Mission pages, Weapon pages, Vehicle pages, and Place pages layouts. Maybe it also needs a note on American vs. British spellings, and a link to help using wiki markup...
- Also, I like the "guidelines" idea... "people can stray outside the guidelines if they know what they're doing." --GuildKnightTalk2me 20:41, 20 May 2008 (UTC)
I don't currently use the IRC but can. However, at times this may not prove to be a good way to chat, because the IRC does not always work, for me at least. A-Dust 23:49, 22 May 2008 (UTC)
- I also had trouble with a few IRC clients... what do you use? Anyway, it's better to use the wiki talk pages for decisions about the site so that there's a record of the conversation... but a lot of times it's just easier to have the quicker conversation that's only possible with chat. What about the GTAWiki chat widget? --GuildKnightTalk2me 02:23, 23 May 2008 (UTC)
- I have no idea what the chat widget is, as I've never chatted to anyone on here other than through talk pages. I now use the Wikia IRC channel to log in, which seems at this point to work fine. A-Dust 08:25, 23 May 2008 (UTC)
- The chat widget can be added to the column on the right. The button at the top of the screen that lets you choose "My Talk", "My Watchlist", etc., also lets you choose "Manage Widgets", and then you can add the chat widget, though I think I may be the only one that uses it. Anyway, I should be back in the IRC room late Sunday. --GuildKnightTalk2me 05:56, 25 May 2008 (UTC)
I've had a look at the template, but can't find out why the white box is on the template. I shall leave a message on Gboyers discussion page, as he'd probably have a better idea of how to fix it. A-Dust 10:28, 29 May 2008 (UTC)
Ok i'll keep that in mind, thanks ;) PrivateSniper 01:59, 9 June 2008 (UTC)