Carl Johnson, Kent Paul and Maccer in Madd Dogg's sound studio, shortly after being interupted by Mike Toreno
|Game||GTA San Andreas|
|Location||Mulholland, Los Santos, San Andreas|
|Fail||Player death, plane destroyed|
|Reward||$50,000, Respect, Hydra spawns at Verdant Meadows|
|Unlocked by||A Home in the Hills|
Vertical Bird is a mission in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, given to protagonist Carl Johnson by government agent Mike Toreno from Madd Dogg's Crib at the Mulholland district of Los Santos, San Andreas.
Carl drops by Madd Dogg's Crib in Mulholland, his "new" home, and listens to Madd Dogg while he's rapping after having recovered from the suicide attempt. All of a sudden, all the audio is cut off and Mike Toreno's voice is heard. He tells Carl to come out of the mansion. He does so, and finds Toreno. He gets inside the vehicle of Toreno, who has one more job needing to be done. This job is to steal a military jet off an aircraft carrier, and to use the jet to destroy a flotilla of spy ships. Toreno says if he does this job, his brother Sweet will be released from prison. CJ agrees and hops on a speedboat docked on the water with a knife and a Silenced 9mm in it.
He heads over to the Easter Basin Naval Station in Easter Basin, San Fierro, all while Toreno is guiding him, telling him to sneak inside the carrier. Carl then gets off the boat and swims inside the base, but now, Toreno cannot help him. Once CJ is inside the carrier, he works his way up to the flight deck. (It should be noted that you can choose to silently kill the soldiers on the journey up, or just blast your way to the top.) Once he's reached the flight deck, CJ proceeds to steal a Hydra plane and escape the base. Toreno now reminds Carl that he has to head over to Tierra Robada and destroy five spy ships with the Hydra's missiles; however, other jets start to follow him in the air. After succesfully destroying them, he then proceeds to destroy the five spy ships moored out in the waters. Carl, infuriated (evident when he says, "FUCK YOU, TORENO!!! I never wanna go through that shit AGAIN! I think im'a hurl..."), now asks Toreno what to do with the jet. Since Toreno doesn't want to deal with the jet, Carl just lands and parks the jet at a hangar in Verdant Meadows.
Upon completing this mission, the player is rewarded with $50,000 and an increase in respect. The mission Home Coming is unlocked. Also, the Hydra is always available at the hangar in Verdant Meadows. Another thing to note is that the S.A.M. sites will not shoot at the player anymore whenever flying over or near the Easter Basin Naval Station, but will still get a 5-star wanted level.
- It may be noted that this is the only mission that takes place across each of the three major areas in the State of San Andreas. It starts at Madd Dogg's Crib (Los Santos), CJ steals the Hydra from the Easter Basin Naval Station (San Fierro), and destroys spy ships in Tierra Robada and land the jet at Verdant Meadows (Las Venturas).
- Usually, if the player enters the naval base, they will attain a 5-star wanted level, but this does not apply in this mission. No wanted level would be attained for entering the base.
- If the player destroys all the other planes on the ship, only one enemy jet will give chase; however, if the player doesn't destroy any, three jets will give chase; if only one is destroyed, two will give chase.
- Occasionally, as can be seen on the official San Andreas website, a red mist can be seen coming from behind Toreno's Washington at the Panopticon.
- It is always stormy when Toreno and Carl leave the mansion.
Passin "Vertical Bird"