Vice City in GTA IV Era
- This article is about where Vice City is mentioned in the GTA IV Era. For the city itself, see Vice City
Vice City is one of the fictional locations featured in the Grand Theft Auto series. It has been featured in two games so far: Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories. It is mentioned several times in Grand Theft Auto IV. Prior to the announcement of GTA V, it was widely speculated that Vice City would have been the next setting in the series, mainly due to the large amount of references to it in GTA IV.
References in GTA IV
- Vice City is advertised on many billboards by FlyUS.
- Jerry Kapowitz found the Diamonds that Niko Bellic and Patrick McReary were after, and plans to open a weapon and liquor store in Vice City, according to a radio broadcast some time after Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend.
- In the vehicles section of the stats in Grand Theft Auto IV, one possible ranking is for miles traveled is Liberty City to Vice City.
- Lazlow of Integrity 2.0 also frequently refers to life in Vice City in the 1980s as he was a DJ on V-Rock during that time. As Lazlow is the one of the few characters to feature in both the GTA IV and III eras, this history is simply a reference to GTA Vice City rather than a continuity nod since GTA IV and Vice City follow different canons.
- In the mission Catch the Wave it is explained that the drugs at the boatyard were transported from Vice City.
- Roman Bellic states in a text to Niko Bellic that if they do the deal with Dimitri Rascalov, they could afford to take a private jet to Vice City.
- After befriending Roman enough to unlock his car service ability, he sends Niko a text message saying how he is tired of all of his cabs being sent to the airport to pick up old people from Vice City.
- Sammy Bottino has criminal charges in Vice City.
- For the Female Multiplayer model, hat #3 can be obtained from rank 0; this hat states I ♥ VC.
- Iggy, from LRR talks about moving to Vice City. He mentions how much cleaner the women are there.
- A spin off series of The Science Of Crime is called The Science of Crime: Vice City, possibly in reference to CSI: Miami.
- Hossan Ramzy sends an email to Niko informing him that he jumped ship in Florida. (Vice City is based off of Miami which is a main city in Florida).
- Little Havana, Vice City, is mentioned in an in-game internet site. This could mean that the town of Little Havana may be included in a future rendition of Vice City amongst new ones, similar to how Francis International Airport retains its original name.
- An associate of Dimitri Rascalov, Andriy Maximov was intercepted by the LCPD at the mouth of the Humboldt River bringing a boatload of Cocaine in from Vice City for the Russian Mafia. This is stated in an article on the Weazel News website in.
References in The Lost and Damned
References in The Ballad of Gay Tony
- When Gay Tony is in danger of losing his two clubs Maisonette 9 and Hercules, he mentions that he should start fresh somewhere else such as Vice City.
- Vice City has its name engraved in the USA Cities Wall inside the Rotterdam Tower, starting in The Ballad of Gay Tony.
- Yusuf Amir complains to Luis Fernando Lopez that he had to take a private jet to Vice City to bang prostitutes for 2 weeks in order to recover from test driving sexy cars.
- The exclusive radio station Vice City FM plays music from the 1980s.
- Fernando Martinez makes a return from the GTA III Era to DJ for Vice City FM. Another reference and not a continuity nod.
- Al Di Napoli lives in Vice City.
- During a conversation between Luis Lopez and Al Di Napoli, Al suggests Luis and Gay Tony expand into Vice City. Luis responds by stating Vice City is just a retirement home by now.
- When failing the mission Ladies' Night by getting too close to Patrick McReary, a conversation between Luis Lopez and Gay Tony will activate where they will mention that they need to run away to Vice City or Los Santos and that Gay Tony should call him about it.
- On the TV show The Men's Room with Bas and Jeremy, a caller named Paula makes a call in to the show it is said that she is calling from Vice City.
- Pedestrians may say things like "I should've gone to Vice" if you knock them over.
- During the end credits, Patrick McReary is seen leaving Liberty City on a plane from Francis International Airport. It is speculated he went to either Ireland, Australia, Los Santos, San Fierro, Las Venturas, or Vice City.
- When driving Tony home at the end of Practice Swing Luis will state to Gay Tony; "Listen, Tone. Maybe you should take a holiday. Get down to Vice City. The Caribbean maybe."
References in GTA V
- Before official previews and trailers, it was widely believed that GTA V to have been set in a new rendition of Vice City.
- On Blaine County Radio show Bless Your Heart, host Bobby June advertises a tanning spray named after Vice City.
- Protagonist Eddie Olson moves to Vice City in the unseen Richards Majestic classic Rum Runner.
- Grand Theft Auto: Vice City character artwork of radio host Toni can be seen on a Vinewood Sports LS billboard in Hawick.