The Washington is a 4-door sedan found in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories and Grand Theft Auto IV. It can be found fairly widely throughout cities in GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas, and is available in many colors throughout the games except black and white, which are reserved for the FBI Washington in GTA Vice City and GTA Vice City Stories.
GTA Vice City — GTA Vice City Stories
The Washington features a generally boxy but then contemporary design resulting in the car being one of the newest cars at the time of GTA Vice City's and GTA Vice City Stories's 1980s settings. For GTA San Andreas, the car remains largely similar, with the exception of wider headlight clusters, a modified front grille and rear light clusters that light up as a whole at night. While similar to the GTA Vice City rendition, the GTA Vice City Stories Washington sports additional side trims derived from the FBI Washington, implying the FBI Washington's vehicle model was used in place of GTA Vice City's original Washington model.
In GTA IV, the Albany Washington is based on the 1998-2002 Lincoln Town Car while the headlights and grille have a slight resemblance to a 2008-2009 Ford Taurus. It features "Executive" badging, much like some Town Cars. The rear portion of the greenhouse has an unusually round shape, similar to an eleventh generation Chrysler New Yorker, the rest of the rear also bears a subtle resemblance to it.
GTA San Andreas — GTA Vice City Stories
Pre-GTA IV Washington's are generally regarded as having only moderate performance, largely attributed to its bulky design. Its longer wheelbase and weight ofter results in understeer and poor cornering, while its size may also be a factor in its moderate acceleration, and its top speed is also estimated to be moderate. Nevertheless, its superior size and weight allows the Washington to ram aside other sedans more easily.
The Washington in GTA IV is powered by a V8, coupled to a 5 speed gearbox in a RWD layout. Acceleration is good, but due to the bulk of the vehicle it leaves much to be desired. Top speed is also good, but again due to the Washington's weight, is limited. Breaking is very good, and ABS is standard across the line up. The suspension is very soft, designed to flatten out bumps in a road; not high speed cornering, leaving the Washington fishtailing and spinning out of control when cornering at speed. Accident deformation is superb, making the Washington ideal for ramming vehicles. The engine build quality is also above average, and will sustain multiple impacts before failing.
The FBI Washington is a specialized version of this vehicle (only appearing in GTA Vice City and GTA Vice City Stories), and is the only version of the Washington in GTA Vice City that sports a black paint job. Its acceleration is quite impressive, which becomes useful for catching up to distant criminals when on a vigilante mission.
Similarly, two uniquely black Washingtons may be seen driven by the French in GTA Vice City during "All Hands On Deck" in GTA Vice City. While it is possible to reach the cars, it is impossible to drive them (as the mission immediately ends and the car is lost).
In GTA IV, a special wagon version of the Washington is used for the game's rendition of the Romero hearse.
Modifications (GTA San Andreas)
- Nitro (all)
- Car Stereo
- Mike Toreno drives a Washington in GTA San Andreas. It can be found outside of his ranch, however, if CJ gets into the Washington, a one star wanted level is given, hinting at the fact that he just stole a government official's vehicle.
- The GTA IV rendition of the Washington will make an audible "door ajar" dinging noise if the player exits the vehicle but leaves the door open. It can be heard clearly in quiet areas with the volume turned up.
- In GTA IV, the Washington is one of the cars Stevie requests for his Car Theft missions.
- In its appearances in GTA San Andreas and GTA IV, the Washington plays the following radio stations by default when entered:
GTA San Andreas
GTA Vice City Stories
- Occasionally found in the parking lot of Vice Point Mall in Vice Point, Vice City.
- Found in the parking lot behind Lance Vance's hotel in Downtown, Vice City.
- Found at the car park on the left side of Hyman Memorial Stadium in Downtown
- Spawns regularly around Ocean Beach, Little Havana, and Escobar International Airport
- It is found regularly at the car park near the VIP terminal at Escobar International Airport.
- Usually found around Algonquin and Alderney
- It rarely spawns at Broker, Dukes, or Bohan.
- Parked on Franklin Ave, Steinway, opposite Steinway Park for Stevie's Car Thefts.