Grand Theft Auto V
| This article concerns a future game or content that is unreleased.
Some details may be speculative, and may not turn out to be correct.
|Location||Los Santos, State of San Andreas|
|Release dates||PC - 27 January 2015|
|Links||GTA Online | Characters | Missions | Vehicles | Weapons | Radio stations | Cheats|
Grand Theft Auto V (GTA V) is an upcoming video game created by Rockstar Games. It will be the next instalment in the Grand Theft Auto series. The game is set in modern day Los Santos, San Andreas. A release date is not known, although it is presumed to be released in 2012 or 2013.
For an analysis of the Trailer, see here.
Official Information about GTA V
On 2 November 2011, Rockstar Games released a trailer for GTA V, showing a range of clips of the game. The next day, Rockstar released the "official announcement":
We are very proud to officially announce that Grand Theft Auto V is in full development.
Developed by series creator Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto V heads to the city of Los Santos and surrounding hills, countryside and beaches in the largest and most ambitious game Rockstar has yet created.
A bold new direction in open-world freedom, storytelling, mission-based gameplay and online multiplayer, Grand Theft Auto V focuses on the pursuit of the almighty dollar in a re-imagined, present day Southern California.
These two sources provide the only known information about the game:
- The game is set in modern-day Los Santos (based on Los Angeles) and surrounding countryside in the state of San Andreas.
- The cities of San Fierro or Las Venturas (the other cities in San Andreas) may not be included in GTA V. This might mean that the main story line takes place in Los Santos, but many fans have doubted that only Los Santos and some other parts of Southern California will be in the game, as Rockstar are known for various marketing tricks. It's possible that Rockstar are following a similar style of marketing, as in GTA: San Andreas, only Los Santos was shown with no evidence of any other cities, as a whole state was only a rumor, but eventually it was confirmed that San Fierro and Las Venturas existed.
- Los Santos and the surrounding areas have been completely remade; it is not a copy of the map from Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. However from the trailers, the general outline seems to be the same, Downtown area being situated west of the East side, the rolling hills to the north with the Vinewood sign, outback with large mountain etc.
- Named locations include: Vinewood, Little Seoul, Los Puerta Freeway, Vespucci Beach, Downtown, Del Perro Freeway, East Los Santos and Los Santos Bay.
- The trailer also shows: planes, airships/blimps, trucks, jet-skis, mountainous countryside, convertible cars, mines and wind turbines.
- The city and surrounding areas appear to be thick with smog during late evening time.
- Many vehicles in the trailer appear to be directly from GTA IV, with some being redesigned, and many new ones have been created.
- The U.S. Interstate will be featured in the game, making it one of the few things not to be parodied and have its real-life form in a GTA game. This does not confirm that San Fierro, Las Venturas or any new cities will be in the game.
- The music in the trailer is "Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake Overture" by Small Faces.
- Crews will be carried over from Max Payne 3 into Grand Theft Auto V's multiplayer.
- Planes are confirmed to be flyable in GTA V since there is more map space (Grand Theft Auto IV was to have planes as well, but due to restricted size, this was changed).
- Bicycles will be returning to the Grand Theft Auto series.
- Several screenshots have been released by Rockstar in August 2012, in the categories of Transport, Leisure and Business.
- The Business screenshots show show a character/player holding onto the side of a truck, sitting on the doorway of a helicopter and two seats in a stunt plane. These could be scripted positions for the player in a mission, or they could be 2nd seats available in multiplayer.
A number of conclusions could be drawn from the trailer. The following points are assumptions, guesses or expectations rather than being official or confirmed.
- A man moved to Los Santos looking for a fresh start, retiring from "that line of work". He "bought a big house, came here, put my feet up, thought I'd be a dad like all the other dads", but fell back into a criminal lifestyle because of financial troubles (fitting into the theme of "the almighty dollar").
- A dog is seen in the beginning of the first GTA V trailer, suggesting that the game may include pets.
- "Los Puerta" might be another city in San Andreas, possibly based on San Diego. There is good reason to believe this because the highway sign shown is Interstate 5, a real-life U.S. Interstate in Los Angeles. The I-5 goes both through LA and San Diego, and in real-life a portion of the I-5 in Los Angeles is called the San Diego Freeway, and Los Puerta Freeway might be its GTA counterpart. Interstate 5 also passes through the San Francisco Bay Area and Sacramento, but it's too early to tell whether those cities will be in the game.
- The robbers that are dressed as exterminators' target resembles the landmark shopping plaza on the corner of Rodeo Drive and Wilshire Blvd. in real-life Los Angeles.
Stills from trailer
A beach with a dog.
A jet ski, marked Speedophile 2000.
Hikers at the base of a mountain near Los Santos.
A convertible car retracting its roof.
Several wind power generators near Los Santos.
A man in a suit overlooking the city.
A crop dusting plane over a vineyard.
Three men attempt to rob a store dressed as exterminators; notice the accessories on the rifle.
A pumpjack on an oil well.
A police helicopter and officers chasing a man.
The Vinewood sign.
A Learjet-based plane (similar to a Shamal) flying over the city.
A new LSPD helicopter.
A peaceful waterside.
The redesigned Cheetah.
A man with a Parachute next to a mountain.
Three men racing on dirtbikes, possibly Sanchezes.
Two civilians playing tennis.
A character hijacking a truck carrying sports cars.
An Infernus while being pursued. The driver is the same man from the previous photo.
A man flying a stunt plane over a river.
A man aiming an "AK-47" at a police helicopter. The side gunner of the helicopter has a laser attachment on his weapon.
Hints and guesses about GTA V
A number of possible clues have been found in previous GTA games and elsewhere to indicate what may be the setting and content of GTA V. Fans have also made a number of educated guesses.
- There has been no official release date announced yet, but there are many suggestions and potential leaks. For example, British retailer Zavvi lists the game for pre-order with the release date as 23 November 2012, although this could be just an educated guess.
- A number of sources are citing Ned Luke as the actor portraying the lead character, supposedly named Albert De Silva. If this character is the man in the suit from the GTA V trailer, who closely resembles Ned Luke, this character seems to be older and more successful than previous GTA protagonists who have started at the bottom of the food chain and worked their way up. This could indicate a significant change in the progression of the game from previous iterations. Alternatively, this character could be one of several playable characters through the course of the game, as has been rumoured, which would be a first since the GTA 1 Era.
- A leaked casting call lists several characters for a future game, which coincides with the name "Albert de Silva". These include mentally unstable hillbillies in "the sticks", a detailed cast of FBI agents, soccer moms and divorcees in the suburbs (perhaps de Silva's neighbors), celebrities, at least two Chinese Triad characters, and an 18-year-old slacker son for Albert named Kevin. Several young male Irish characters, including Eddie McReary who "lives with his cousin", hints very strongly at the return of Packie McReary. Niko Bellic's voice actor is in a dispute with Rockstar Games, and his return seems highly unlikely. James Pedeaston was released from prison and will make a comeback, but possibly with a different voice actor. There is a very strong focus on the political issue of legalized and/or medicinal marijuana.
- Gaming blog Kotaku quoted a source "familiar with the game" stating that the game will be set in Los Angeles (which was previously featured as Los Santos in GTA San Andreas and in Rockstar's crime-solving game LA Noire), and may feature multiple playable characters (similar to GTA IV's episodic contents that brought new characters and stories to the game).
- On page thirteen of the Episodes from Liberty City guide book, there's a teaser that shows a broken heart made of the GTA IV box art and says "Liberty City, It's Over!" followed by "Next Stop..." and a small torn area that shows another poster behind, later revealed to be an advert for Mollis. The torn area has been noted as being in the shape of France. It also says in the right lower corner in a red box "Opens March Everywhere".
- According to reports, Rockstar Games recently registered new website domains that sound like they could belong to GTA V's in-game Internet, assuming the game inherits the feature from GTA IV. The domains are: CashForDeadDreams.com, SixFigureTemps.com, StopPayingYourMortgage.net, HammersteinFaust.com, and LifeInvader.com.
- On the Rockstar Games Social Club in the GTA IV Story Gang section, there is an Air Sol plane ticket that was apparently purchased by Niko Bellic to fly from Liberty City to San Andreas. This hints that Niko Bellic might make an appearance in the game, most likely as a mission boss or supporting character.
- Take-Two Interactive revealed they are expecting at least $2.00 per share for the first quarter of fiscal year 2012. The last time this happened was during the release of GTA IV, which reached $2.08 per share. Income only reached $1.06 per share during the release of Red Dead Redemption, and is projected to only reach $0.35 for the current fiscal year. It is expected that only a GTA game is able to bring this level of success to T2, which implies one must be planned for release in fiscal year 2012.
- According to dualshocknexus.com there are rumors that both Niko Bellic and Carl Johnson will return., although this is unlikely as the GTA III era is considered complete and Niko Bellic's voice actor was involved in a pay dispute with Rockstar, the reason that he wasn't invited back to record new dialogue for GTA IV's DLC. However there is nothing to suggest that he hasn't resolved these issues. Also: Young Maylay, the voice actor of CJ, denied on twitter that he is going to be in GTA V .
- In the Firefly Island amusement park in Grand Theft Auto IV, located quite near the miniature golf course, there is a fairground ride with a backdrop that features a collage of screenshots from Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas: the Vinewood Sign, a Hydra hovering in front of the Los Santos skyline, and a Shamal flying over the countryside. The similarity of this mural and the end of the GTA V trailer (where a private jet flies over the Vinewood Sign and towards Los Santos) has lead many to believe that the mural was a deliberate hint towards the location of GTA V, suggesting that GTA V has been in production since the release of GTA IV, or that the game's location was planned at that time.
- The internal files of Max Payne 3's list some vehicles from GTA games (including Patriot, Rancher, and Willard) alongside some new vehicle names (such as "bobsleigh", "carga", "cs2000", and "winky"). As Max Payne 3 and GTA V are interlinked, particularly with multiplayer crews, it is believed that these may be some vehicles from GTA V .
- A possible easter egg in Max Payne 3 also hints towards potential vehicles in GTA V. In-game on a pin board, there are four images of aircraft, none of which are seen in Max Payne 3. Two of these aircraft however bear a striking resemblance to the ones seen in the GTA V trailer, namely the private jet and the fighter jet. The other plane appears to be based on a C-130 Hercules, and judging by further files found in Max Payne 3, could possibly be the Andromada.
- IGN has made a list of rumors and leaks that have been reported.
- A part from the trailer has shown up in teaser trailer for Gamescon at the 1:50 mark. This has lead some to believe that new information will be confirmed at the event which takes place in August 15-19 in Cologne, Germany.
- In regard to the lack of information for Grand Theft Auto V, Rockstar stated: "We are sorry if you find this frustrating, but please understand, we don’t do this because we ‘don’t care about our fans' 'don’t respect our fans’ 'hate GTA fans' etc, — precisely the opposite! We do it because we want to make sure we only release 100% correct information, and because we want to keep plenty back for the actual game release so there are still lots of surprises when you play it. We just have not been in a position to show more of the game than the trailer and will not be for a while yet. We will try and get some more screens for you soon and then another trailer when we are ready." 
- During Take Two's Q1 FY13 earnings call, they stated that Rockstar was “making substantial progress” on GTA V however a release date and what consoles it will be available on is still "TBA". 
- Los Santos in GTA V
- Businesses in GTA V
- Weapons in GTA V
- Vehicles in GTA V
- GTA V Trailers
- Vice City in GTA IV Era & San Andreas in GTA IV Era - references to the locations of GTA III Era games in the GTA IV Era.
- Community:GTA V Wishlist - the Grand Theft Wiki Community's suggestions on what should be included in GTA V.
- GTA V trailer - rockstargames.com
- Rockstar Games Announcement
- Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake Overture/ Afterglow (of Your Love) - YouTube.com
- Is Albert De Silva GTA 5′s lead character?
- Grand Theft Auto V Will Be Set in Los Angeles, May Star Multiple Characters - Kotaku.com
- New Grand Theft Auto 5 Domains Registered? - 1up.com
- Niko Bellic and Carl Johnson to appear in GTA V
- Why Niko Bellic didn't receive new dialogue in The Lost and Damned
- Grand Theft Auto V - official website