Secrets in GTA Vice City
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- In Downtown Vice City near the Vice City News building there is a window where the player can jump through and the player will find the "Easter Egg Room" which is basically an actual brown easter egg on top of a pedestal.
- Two fat men wearing cement shoes can be seen underwater. One is north of 1102 Washington Street, across the water along the southwestern coast. The other is east of Skumole Shack, on the searock between Downtown and Leaf Links.
- At night, shooting the moon with a sniper rifle will change its size.
- In the North Point Mall, advertisements can be seen saying: "SALE! 50% OFF EVERYTHING*" and in smaller text "*may not be true"
- In Little Haiti, there are two billboards saying "Welcome to Hell" and "Life's a bitch", instead of "Welcome to Haiti" and "Life's a beach".
- On the window of the WK Chariot Hotel, there's a message reading: "Don't just jump; Hyperjump!"
- El Banco Corrupto Grande (the one you break into in The Job) means "The Great Corrupt Bank."
- Some road signs make clear you can't park at certain places: "Don't even THINK of parking here!" and "No parking: not 5 minutes, not 30 seconds, NOT AT ALL!"
- There are messages reading "Don't pee in our pool!" at different pools.
- Some of the sheets appearing randomly in the city say "Zombie Elvis Found".
- There are three shipwrecks at the bottom of the ocean. One is a sunken Reefer, located under the bridge between Downtown and Prawn Island. The other two are sunken Chartered Libertine Lines container ships, one north of Vice Point and the other south of Viceport. In addition, there is what appears to be a submarine watching over the wreckage of the northern container ship wreckage.
One of the sunken ships north of Vice Point.
- The business Air Rockstar can be seen advertised on aeroplanes at Escobar International Airport.
- The business DMAir Rockstar can be seen advertised on aeroplanes at Escobar International Airport. The name is a reference to DMA Design, the previous name of Rockstar North.
- The business Rockster Video Games is a reference to Rockstar Games.
Previous GTA games
- Three billboards in Escobar International Airport features a Moonbeam and a Taxi in Chinatown with the text "Take a vacation in Liberty City".
- An old, white female beach goer will utter the phrase "This ain't Liberty City" when about to be run over by a vehicle.
- A re-creation of a street of Bedford Point, Liberty City can be found at the InterGlobal Studios.
- Marco's Bistro in Saint Mark's, Liberty City, appears during the opening cutscene and An Old Friend.
- Other recurring businesses include 8-Ball Autos, Ammu-Nation, Bitch'n' Dog Food, Bullet Bus & Coach Line, Chartered Libertine Lines, City News, Eddie's, Gash (known as Zip in GTA III), Gruppe Sechs, John Homes, McAdam Airways, OakDale and Pay 'n' Spray.
- Phil Cassidy owns a weapons business in both GTA III and Vice City.
- In Tommy Vercetti's room at the Ocean View Hotel there is a poster featuring GTA III protagonist Claude.
- Phil Cassidy and Donald Love, from GTA III, also feature in the game.
- Radio DJs Lazlow, Fernando Martinez and Toni were also in GTA III.
- Morgan Merryweather, the Double Clef FM DJ in GTA III, and Freddy also return as radio guest stars. Merryweather phones in to K-CHAT and Freddy appears in the Hampshire Nannies advert.
- Phil Cassidy's missing arm from GTA III is explained in GTA Vice City in "Boomshine Saigon."
- Avery Carrington made a statement to Tommy Vercetti during the mission Two Bit Hit that is similar to those given by Donald Love to Claude during the mission Waka-Gashira Wipeout in GTA III. Carrington instructs Love to write down what he is saying to Tommy: "Now, nothing brings down real estate prices quicker than a good old-fashioned gang war - 'cept maybe a disaster, like a biblical plague or something,but, that may be going too far in this case." Love, in GTA III, states: "Nothing drives down real estate prices like a good old fashioned gang war, apart from the outbreak of a plague, but that might be going too far in this case."
- Dick Tanner, from the mission Autocide, is a reference to Tanner of the Driver series.
- Marcus Hammond, Franco Carter and Charlie Dilson, from the mission Autocide, are references to Mark Hammond, Frank Carter and Charlie Jolson from The Getaway.
- Nick Kong, from the mission Autocide, is a reference to Nicholas "Nick" Kang Williams from True Crime: Streets of LA.
- In the film studio, in one of the recording rooms, is a remake of the lunar lander. This is reference to the conspiracy that the Lunar landing was filmed on Earth.
- Inside the Apartment 3c when the player enters the bathroom the player may see a tremendous amount of blood and a chainsaw available for the character. This is a reference to the infamous chainsaw torture scene in the movie Scarface.
- At the Downtown Ammu-Nation, there is a picture of American president Ronald Reagan shooting a picture of Soviet head of state Mikhail Gorbachev. The player must stand on the counter against the wall with a Rocket Launcher aiming towards the street. Then the player must rotate the view towards the wall so that the player sees through the wall. The picture is above the reticule.
- Tommy Vercetti is likely based off Tony Montana from the film Scarface. Both end up in exile, both arrive to their respective city in Hawaiian shirts, both rise to power in their respective cities using great amounts of violence, both build an empire from a large estate and mansion, both have short tempers and are prone to violence, both work as contract killers, and both killed their collaborators and took their ex-bosses' empires.The interior of the Vercetti Estate is even modeled after Montana's mansion.
- The appearance of Tommy Vercetti is likely based off Mr. Blonde from the film Reservoir Dogs, who is played by Michael Madsen, who voices Toni Cipriani. The two characters also share the fact that they both spent time in prison for their bosses in common.
- Sonny Forelli's temper is similar to that of Santino "Sonny" Corleone from The Godfather trilogy. Corleone has the idea of becoming involved in the heroin trade, whilst Forelli has the idea of becoming involved in the drugs trade in Vice City.
- Ken Rosenberg is likely based off David Kleinfeld from the film Carlito's Way. The two characters have a similar appearance and both are rendered increasingly paranoid and incoherent due to their cocaine addictions. The offices of both characters are also almost identical.
- Ricardo Diaz may be a reference to Miami Vice character Ricardo Tubbs. Tubbs was played by Philip Michael Thomas, the voice actor of Lance Vance.
- Gonzalez may be based on Nick the Pig from Scarface.
- Mr. Black and Leo Teal are likely references to Reservoir Dogs, as both mans surnames are colours, as are the code names of each of the robbers in the film.
- Jimmy, an actor appearing in Just the Five of Us, may be based off Gary Coleman and Emmanuel Lewis, both of whom look much younger than their actual age.
- Dick, one of the four Love Fist band members, states that he is a fan of Duran Duran.
- Hilary King may be based on Neil McCauley from the film Heat, as both are involved in the criminal underworld and both live a solitary existence that forbids attachment and stresses mobility.
- Kent Paul is a reference to Kent in the United Kingdom, as stated by Paul himself.
- Umberto Robina's appearance may be based off his voice artist, Danny Trejo.
- Steve Scott is a parody of Steven Spielberg, as are the films he directs at the InterGlobal Films studio.
- Alex Shrub may be based off former American president George H. W. Bush and former Florida governor Jeb Bush. A shrub and bush are both plants, whilst the nickname shrub was given to George W. Bush by author Molly Ivins. Shrub's voice is also similar to that of George H. W. Bush.
- Laura Shrub's name may be a reference to former American First Lady Laura Bush. Laura Bush's husband, former President George W. Bush, was given the nickname shrub by author Molly Ivins.
- BJ Smith's name is similar to that of OJ Simpson, whilst they are both also former football players.
- The Hyman Memorial stadium in the second island may be a reference to Hyman Roth from the Godfather which is also in some parts of the film based in Miami.
- Mitch Baker, leader of the Vice City Biker, agrees to provide security for the Love Fist concert in Vice City during the mission Hog Tied. This is a reference to the Hells Angels providing security at the Altamont Speedway Free Concert, which was headlined by The Rolling Stones.
- The death of Hilary King and possible death of Cam Jones during The Job may be a reference to the film Heat, in which a shootout with police results in the deaths of Michael Cheritto and Donald Breedan.
- The mission Publicity Tour, where Tommy Vercetti drives a limousine whilst the band members deactivate a bomb, is based off the film Speed where Officer Jack Traven is forced to drive a bus at over 50mph to stop a bomb detonating.
- The events of Keep Your Friends Close... is similar to the ending of Scarface, involving a shootout in the protagonists mansion, although Tommy Vercetti survives the shootout, unlike Tony Montana.
- The interior of Ricardo Diaz' mansion, later taken by Tommy Vercetti after the mission Rub Out, is similar in appearance to the mansion owned by Tony Montana from Scarface.
- The film Bite, starring Candy Suxxx, is a parody of the film Jaws series.
- The film Closer Encounters, starring Candy Suxxx, is a parody of the film Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
- The song "Freaks Come Out at Night" by Whodini is played in the background during the mission The Job, although it does not appear on any of the games radio stations. The song does, however, appear on Fresh FM in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories.
- Also the song "Burnin' For You" by Blue Oyster Cult is played in the background during the mission Boomshine Saigon, although it does not appear on any of the game's radio stations.
- The company R.S. & L. Bows is reference to the British phrase 'to know your arse from your elbow'.
- Across the street from the Pole Position, next door to 'Rockstar Video Games' there is a sign that reads "Air Guitars from $199".
- During night, a pattern of lights can be seen on the Vice Point Langer building. When viewed from certain perspectives the pattern resembles a penis.
- Located on Starfish Island, a pool can be seen in the shape of a female body.
- On the roof of the Cherry Popper Ice Cream Factory there are two dome shaped scoops of ice cream. the domes resemble woman's breasts. Also the name cherry poppers is slang term for first loss of virginity of a woman.
- Gruppe Sechs is a security organisation in Vice City, and is pronounced 'group sex'. It's also based on Gruppe Sieben, hence the name.
The penis lights of the Vice Point Langer skyscraper appearing only during night.