| This talk page is for discussing the Niko Bellic article.
This includes commenting on the article, questioning whether it is correct, or adding suggestions for improvements
Questions about GTA games, not about the wiki page itself, should be asked at Community:Questions.Remember to always add your signature to the end of your comments/replies using four tildes:
- 1 Cleanup
- 2 Name
- 3 Nationality
- 4 Murders
- 5 News
- 6 Significant Other
- 7 File browsing
- 8 Display Picture
- 9 Bellić vs Bellic
- 10 Goof
- 11 Brother?
- 12 Niko Name
- 13 Mforster 20:56, June 9, 2010 (UTC)Closed Infobox
- 14 Resemblance?
- 15 'Nikolai'
- 16 Trivia section of main article
- 17 Also Known As
- 18 Death?
- 19 Jimmy
- 20 Niko's Preferred Choices?
- 21 Niko's Appearence
- 22 Music
- 23 Shouldn't another alias for him be "Nikolai"?
- 24 Regarding War Crimes and Post Tramatic Stress Syndrome
Has anyone heard that Niko is a look- alike of the russian sniper in "Behind Enemy Lines"? You can even dress him the same. Originaly (I think), rocstar planned on his character to wear glove (meaning you can't take them off. People believe this because if you let Niko go idle, sometimes he will make a motion with his hands as if he was ajusting gloves. So hackers will probably try to patch them back in since rockstar seems to have no clue on how to delete things properly (LOL). People say the gloves were deleted from the gameplay because of too closely resembling that sniper I mentioned earlier. They think that someone would sue them for that but they can't. The point that some people try to make is that noone owns that look. And there's noone to sue them. So it is unkown why they deleted them.Silverballer95 22:30, 18 May 2008 (UTC)
- Is there any evidence for the existence of Niko's gloves? He isn't wearing any in any of the trailers, and I don't think any shops sell them. It's silly to assume such a thing just because of this hand motion, which isn't exactly precise, can be easily misinterpreted. There are images of the sniper here and here. I do see a resemblance, possibly a strong one. I think gloves would be a step too far though - Gboyers (?) 22:41, 18 May 2008 (UTC)
There is MAJOR evidence to the gloves. First of all, he is wearing them on the disc. Second, it shows them on the back of the case, the picture where he is commiting grand theft auto.--Canadian Reject 12:20, 7 April 2009 (UTC)
- Hey guys im just going to add that the image searches for Niko Bellic on Google all come up with the same guy from Behind Enemy Lines so i guess thats where Rockstar got their ideas from. Maybe we should look out for other characters that have come from movies.--Deadeye... 18:01, 26 May 2008 (UTC)
I responded to the cleanup tag by separating the introduction into three separate paragraphs (carefully dividing them in appropriate places). Gboyers (Talk), if this is not what you meant when you added the cleanup tag, please revert my edit, and tell me so that I know not to do it in the future. Biggest GTA Fan EverTalk 10:01, 12 September 2008 (UTC)
Looks more like Zakhaev's son from Call of Duty 4. LegendaryFroggy 04:47, November 24, 2009 (UTC)
I'm not saying to use it, as there is no proof, I just thought I would share with the other users that my friend is of Serbian decent, and he says that the most likely name that Niko is short for is Nikola, and that Niko is NOT a Serbian name. Biggest GTA Fan EverTalk 00:05, 13 September 2008 (UTC)
Niko is Serbian i looked it up and it is Serbian Short for Nikola which is also a Serbian name. And the comment on his last name before he it would be Belic but since it is given in the game it is Bellic a Serbian name Niko Bellic full name was guest by Tom Goldburg so none knows if his name is Nikola or Nikolai. And i have a friend that is a Serbia decent and he ask me to remove the subs and he translated all what niko said and one more thing he (my friend) said that he get speak Yugo or russian. Niko is serb. There proof found.SSJJ TSSJJ 01:16, September 28, 2009 (UTC)
There is no name Nikolai in the Serbian language. Niko is short for Nikola. but, if you prounance it with a short i, then it means nobody (run it up in the dictionary, but make sure it is a SERBIAN-english dictionary, not CROATIAN!!!)
I just noticed that Grand Theft Alex changed the article to state that he was born in Serbia. Please note that in 1978, Serbia remained a part of Yugoslavia, so Niko was born in Yugoslavia, is Yugoslavian and is of Serbian descent. A-Dust 13:13, 2 October 2008 (UTC)
no one knows Niko's Nationality all that is none is that he is from easter europe somewhere but we dont get anything or confirmation on his Nationality.
I might shed some light. If you watched The Cousins Bellic scene Roman says that his English is better than his Serbian. Kanzler31 03:16, 22 November 2010 (UTC)
When was his nationality EVER confirmed?
The murders section has been removed several times by Staff. It is huge section of spoilers on a very visible page. Instead of re-adding it, please discuss it here. Personally, I don't like the idea anyway because many more people are killed by Niko Bellic before he even reaches these people (we can't list everyone). Biggest GTA Fan EverTalk 21:23, 12 November 2008 (UTC)
Is it really necessary to mention that police want to question Niko? I mean, how many times does the news refer to Niko, and we've singled that out? What does everyone think? Biggest GTA Fan EverTalk 09:17, 16 November 2008 (UTC)
- Really,I only heard this in the deal ending and I still think it sounds useless.I say we remove that part. HuangLee 21:22, 15 January 2009 (UTC)
Kate is NOT Nikos significant other. Whoever put it there is incorrect. I have removed it. WaffleStomp 22:46, 26 January 2009 (UTC)
- You don't need to use a talk page to explain every edit. Usually a good edit summary is enough. Simply explain what you did in the edit summary field below the edit box (next to save page)! Also, when you do have to use a talk page, place your post at the BOTTOM not thr top. I just moved this one. Biggest GTA Fan EverTalk 23:42, 26 January 2009 (UTC)
I was browsing through some files on the PC version of Niko's voices, and there are some things in there that don't have any use in the game; lines like "Hurry up, sort me out friend" (Drugs? Fight?) and "Get some food, then get in the car man" (?) - No idea what they were supposed to be, but they're still in there. Just thought I'd note. That Thing There 03:34, 19 March 2009 (UTC)
Lets get an screenshot of Niko from the game, not from artwork. Also, the picture should be taken with him in default clothing, as anything else disagrees with anyone else' style for Niko, so default doesn't provoke anyone.
Bellić vs Bellic
I saw a user change his name from Bellić to Bellic, then another user changed it back. I've never seen it as Bellić before, but I don't know anything about the language, so does anyone else know which one it is? Biggest GTA Fan EverTalk 06:10, 6 July 2009 (UTC)
- We should be using the name provided in the game, not in real life.--Spaceeinstein 19:46, 6 July 2009 (UTC)
- Brunekk's solution is a good one.--Spaceeinstein 18:53, 10 July 2009 (UTC)
Guys, I am from Croatia, and Croatia is "neighbour" to Serbia. In Serbia, surname Bellic does not and can't exist. His surname should be Belić, pronounced Bellich, not Bellic. About the name Niko, Niko is not real Serbian name. Niko CAN be a nickname for Nikola or Nikolaj (Nikolai), but Niko is also a real name. Rockstar made a big mistake with that surname and with the guy who gave voice to Niko, because accents are totally wrong and turns out that Niko speaks English better than his own language (Serbian). For example (second mission) (I will use capital letters which are emphased) : "Janitor. Of course." -> "ČIstač, narAvno." It shoul be pronounced "ČistAč, nAravno." I hope i helped :)
Did you miss Spaceeinstiens comment? He said; We should be using the name provided in the game, not in real life. Topic closed. --Chimpso Manager of Strasky and Hutch Game Wiki 09:06, 15 August 2009 (UTC)
Chimpso, it appears you are the one who missed anon's point. Anon said "rockstar made a big mistake with that surname", and truthfully so. He also made very clear points. Since the character is from Serbia, his last name is "Belić". But, since they fucked it up, and changed it to Belic instead of Belich, ok, let's use Bellic. Anon.
We should rename the "Goof" section to something else. I think Rockstar is well aware about the language so it couldn't have been a goof. What should this section be renamed to and how should it be rephrased?--Spaceeinstein 21:35, 24 July 2009 (UTC)
I think "Language" is down to the point or something like that. Its already decently worded except for "One of the biggest goofs in GTA IV is that," that can be done away with.--Thescarydude 00:11, 25 July 2009 (UTC)
Cleaned up the 'Goof' section, and renamed it 'Naming and language errors', which I think gets the message across plainly. Samadriel 09:41, 25 July 2009 (UTC)
- Incidentally, I think Rockstar really did make a half-arsed effort on the linguistic side; part of the mispronunciation can be put down to how badly voice-acting is directed and managed in the games industry, but still, it's something that could've been sorted; and the actual naming would've been easy as pie to get right, but... nope! So I think it's fair to call them errors. I chose not to explicitly call it an 'error' that Niko has a Croatian name (as Rockstar may have meant it to suggest his dad was Croatian or suchlike). I find that a bit doubtful though, I'm sure Niko would've had an even worse wartime experience if he'd been half-Croatian. Samadriel 09:54, 25 July 2009 (UTC)
- Indeed. Serbs and Croatians hate each other about as much as they both hate the Bosniaks... DarkHedge 21:43, January 23, 2010 (UTC)
I remember him mentioning a brother before, but can anyone give more information?
According to wikipedia he had a fraternal twin named Josef Bellic who died in an explosion. It says he had a rivalry with him. I don't remeber this metioned in the game though. Tornmuscle 15:53, 20 August 2009 (UTC)
He was mentioned ingame but never referred to as Josef. Jackass2009 07:28, March 6, 2010 (UTC)
It's also mentioned that both Roman and Niko liked him. This was brought up when Packie was talking about his brothers(Francis).Drogo 19:05, June 10, 2010 (UTC)
I am a Serb, and can you explain in all, Niko is the Croatian name, but this our Niko Belic no connection with the Croatian name. because the Serbian Niko means nobody. That is why Rockstar chose that name.
- Do you mean that in Serbian, Niko means "nobody"? - EDIT: After asking a family member to translate me the word "Niko", it turns out that it means "None" in Serbian. Also, for some reason, he told me that the word "Bellić" (with two L's) means "Bellied", as in a man that is a bit chubby. I don't know if there is any link behind that, but if there is, then R* did there a very lame joke. DarkHedge 21:49, January 23, 2010 (UTC)
Serbian language has 7 cases, and even more foreigners who all speak in 4 cases you can not understand.
None means ništa (nishta) Niko means nobody
- Don't worry, I'm French, and what you call cases - which are in fact declensions - are working exactly that way in French too. I understand better what you meant. By the way, don't forget to type four tildes when you are finished writing, so we know who you are. :) DarkHedge 13:30, January 24, 2010 (UTC)
- In the name section, it says that Niko means "Nobody" in the Serbian, Bosnian and CROATIAN language.
Nobody would be "NITKO" in Croatian, so that s wrong.
Mforster 20:56, June 9, 2010 (UTC)Closed Infobox
Why his infobox is closed? I wanna add some of his nicknames and list of cars he owns. --Orto Dogge 15:51, April 28, 2010 (UTC)
- The infobox is not closed or protected - it is on a subpage: Niko Bellic/infobox Gboyers talk 16:23, April 28, 2010 (UTC)
- Thanks. I'll change it a little. Orto Dogge 16:46, April 28, 2010 (UTC)
- They really don't resemble each other. Just because they're both eastern-European, people think they must be the same person or there's some conspiracy? People are silly. Gboyers talk 10:38, July 17, 2010 (UTC)
Whenever I think of Niko and his background I swear his full name is Nikolai. Dispite the language errors in the game such as the accent, names, pronounciation, I really think that the interview in GTA IV was a refference (a hint) telling us that his name is Nikolai. I'm not saying we should change the name or anything, I'm just giving out ideas and stuff. PacBoyCraZ (Talk) 18:01, July 22, 2010 (UTC)
Trivia section of main article
It mentions that Niko was a speeder or daredevil in his home country. That has been written wrong the correct name for a crazy daredevil driver is a "Boy Racer" or "Chav"Andrew nicholson 18:14, July 22, 2010 (UTC)
Also Known As
Ok for the 'Also Known As' section Niko's info box it states that his alias' are: Nikolai, Nicky, NB, Niko Boy, Jimmy, Slav, Money, Yokel, Serf, Fatty Romans Cousin, Niks.
I'm editing this for the following reasons: Nikolai, Nicky, and NB can stay and I agree with them. He may have only been called Nikolai once, but this IS a possible first full name, as it's still questionable. Nicky and NB are other names used for Niko often throughout so that's fine.
As for Niko Boy, that's not exactly an alias or other name for him, I don't recall Niko ever been called "Jimmy", and even so that's not an alias. Slav isn't a nickname or alias their just referring to him by his nationality as short form. Money isn't a nickname, Playboy X just calls him that on occasion as he would say "homie" or "G" aswell. Yokel isn't a nickname, it's an insult meaning he's a serf or peasant. If Niko was called "stupid" throughout the game I wouldn't put that in the AKA section. Serf is an insult, Fatty Roman's Cousin was a replacement and insult by Vlad and not a nickname. And never once do I recall Niko being called "Niks."
So I'm changing that, and if you disagree, comment here first. 6FTofDIRT 21:59, July 25, 2010 (UTC)
- There has already been discussion on this (above), so some people do disagree. However, the issue is not what should go on Niko's page, but what the "Also Known As" box should be used for. I agree with you that only permanent nicknames or alternative names should be in that box, not one-off affectionate or abusive names. So for Niko, I'd agree with your suggestions, in particular that Nikolai is believed by some to be a possible full name so there's a good reason for us to list it. I agree that Fatty Roman's Cousin and the others should be removed. Although if any are repeatedly used, and he is KNOWN by those names, they may be worth listing. Gboyers talk 22:56, July 25, 2010 (UTC)
- That's not a storyline death, it's just on oversight by the developers. --Gta-mysteries Talk 21:07, August 24, 2010 (UTC)
- Niko's War Story
- Don't y'all know there's some video on youtube about the war Niko had.I think it's machinima or something. It's called GTA IV The Ballad of Gay Bernie. The only thing I think is wrong with the video is that they put Niko on the Russian Side instead of the Serbian Side.Not to take credit the video was made by YeardlyDiamond1
- The link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw4ikPegLLA
When does Niko get called Jimmy? The Tom 11:09, September 26, 2010 (UTC)
- Francis McReary calls him Jimmy at the Police Station during "Final Interview" cutscene. -- peterp
Niko's Preferred Choices?
I think that the optional murders should be included somewhere on Niko's page. I remember seeing on a wikia, or the old page, that players determined that Niko would kill Playboy X based on his personality. Even though the game gives the player the choice, there are things Niko would actually do if put into that position. Think about it, he came to Liberty City to find Florian and get revenge, but discovering it was Darko, he wanted to kill him, though still given the choice. At the end, I doubt Niko would have worked with Dimitri again, claiming that he didn't want to aswell. -darkye
- It's a matter of opinion. The choice is up to the player so Niko could not have a preferred choice at that situation. It's either one or the other, not one preferred. It's the same idea whether you want Niko to kill innocent civilians during free roam but more restrictive. In other situations when there was no choice, that would be Niko's preferred choice.-spaceeinstein 07:14, 17 January 2011 (UTC)
Yes, but there are choices where Niko feels better and more happy than having done the other choice. For example, when Niko goes to kill Dwayne, he hesitates to shoot him. But when killing Playboy X, he chases him down and in the alley Niko goes up to him and shoots him. -darkye
You really can't just say "niko would do this or niko wouldn't do that". Thats kinda the whole reason for these choices, so your involved in the story. If you choose deal Thats what niko's preferred choice...if you chose revenge again then that would make it his preferred choice. and for Those decisons you think he wouldn't do, well thats YOUR opinion..not everyone elses.
I know Niko seems to be based off of Sasha from Behind Enemy Lines, and you can even re-create his outfit from the film, but I have another theory on the inspiration for Niko's appearence.
In the film, Tyler wears a wide-collared shirt with a leather jacket as well as track pants and work boots, much like Niko's outfit. Other than the colouring, the only difference is that Tyler's shirt is more colourful and is button-up while Niko's is less colourful and zips up. Also, at the end of the film, Tyler shaves his head.
That's just my opinion and I thought it was worth noting the similarities.
Though Niko has no favorite radio station, Niko says he doesn't have a favorite music, as you have the ability in gameplay to change the station. Pathos asks Niko if he listens to hip hop, and Niko replies "some of its good, but not too much." He may not like rap, but he sure doesn't dislike it. TomUSA 01:02, 25 August 2011 (BST)
Shouldn't another alias for him be "Nikolai"?
I remember Tom Goldberg calling him Nikolai. We should put that under as one of his alias. --TheJustinAllenK 05:01, 12 September 2011 (BST)
Nikolai is not a alias for niko its just an assertion from tom goldberg
However, throughout the rest of his chat with Niko, he still keeps on calling him Nikolai. Also, Fatty Romans Cousin is also an assertion that only Vlad calls him.
- Please sign your posts with four tildes (~~~~). And please read above as this has already been discussed.--spaceeinstein 04:43, 18 September 2011 (BST)
Regarding War Crimes and Post Tramatic Stress Syndrome
1.Definition of atrocities: An extremely wicked or cruel act: "war atrocities".
2. Definition of war crimes: The legal definition of War Crimes is Excessive brutality during war, in contravention of an international treaty or convention. The body of laws that define a war crime are the Geneva Conventions.
There is nothing stated, or any proof that Niko has commited any specific war crimes, the atrocities he experienced can be just the standared murdering he did during the war, and the fact that twelve friends died right before his eyes and at one point he found is Aunt raped and murdered. There is also nothing that suggests Niko has Post Tramatic Stress Syndrome, especially since he's been in constant danger and firefights his entire life since the war. It's all he really knows at this point. Therefore I'll be removing these Trivia points. Grand Theft AJ (talk|edits) 05:18, 4 July 2012 (UTC)
- In the interest of aiding any further discussion that may arise from this, I would just like to add that based on this conversation (Ctrl-F, search for "children"), Niko was supposedly involved in murdering 50 school children during his time in the war. I doubt that that can be considered standard murdering. JFletcherTalk (formerly User:Biggest gta fan ever) 10:40, 4 July 2012 (UTC)
I agree with AJ here so far - there's nothing really to say he has PTSD or has committed war crimes. Both of those things are assumptions based on assumptions. The phrases he uses during gunfights might be things he said during the war, so say THAT. Don't assume he has flashbacks, and don't assume they're caused by PTSD. As for the war, that children quote is a good find, but it doesn't say whether Niko did it. He admits he killed/smuggled/sold people, but it just says he walked into a village and saw 50 dead children, not that he murdered them. It's more suggesting how horrible the war was, and he doesn't like that he was involved. I'm happy to mention those points, but don't make the assumptions on top. gboyers talk 12:44, 4 July 2012 (UTC)
- The only reason I added the war crime trivia is because that it was mentioned in the article. From article: "During the war, Niko both witnessed and committed numerous atrocities" though now I know the difference between the two.Gtajesus (talk|edits) 12:59, 4 July 2012 (UTC)
Yeah, I definently agree that suggesting that Niko has flashbacks/PSTD is ridiculous - There is no evidence for any of that, and if Rockstar wanted to make that part of his character, they would have shown it in the game (we would have seen the flashbacks). I was really just adding to the list of ba experiences that AJ started. JFletcherTalk (formerly User:Biggest gta fan ever) 00:08, 5 July 2012 (UTC)