The Fire Extinguisher is an item in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. As its name implies, its primarily use is for extinguishing fires, although it can also be used as a weapon by suffocating its victims. It is quite inefficient as a weapon, since it principally acts to disorient the target, but will kill a person with prolonged use. The fire extinguisher featured in GTA San Andreas is based off the most common real-world type, the dry chemical stored pressure design. With the exception of certain missions, the fire extinguisher features an ammunition counter, which can be depleted, similar to weaponry.
Except for certain missions requiring the use of the fire extinguisher to get through burning buildings, it is otherwise relatively useless. After finishing the firefighter missions, the fire extinguisher is especially useless, as the player becomes fire proof. The fire extinguisher can be found in the kitchens of fast food restaurants such as Burger Shot and The Well Stacked Pizza Co., as well as various outdoor locations throughout San Andreas.
The following is a list of locations where the fire extinguisher spawns in San Andreas.
- Los Santos===
- Inside the Los Santos Vagos gang house in East Los Santos (only during the mission Burning Desire)
- Inside Big Smoke's crack den in East Los Santos (only during the mission End of the Line)
- Over the counter at The Well Stacked Pizza Co. in Idlewood (found during the mission Ryder)
- At the Xoomer gas station in the Easter Basin district of San Fierro, at the south end of the main building
- Inside the Sindacco Abattoir in Whitewood Estates (only during the mission The Meat Business)
- In the Spinybed district of Las Venturas, at the Xoomer gas station just east of Millie Perkins' house, between the convenience store and car wash buildings
- Outside the small gas station in Whetstone, adjacent to the 24/7 along the main highway, just southeast of Angel Pine
- In Valle Ocultado, at its east end, next to Gas.
- If you kill someone with the Fire Extinguisher, the victim will die of suffocation. Strangely, blood will spew out of their body as if they were killed by firearms or melee weapons. People that die of suffocation usually do not bleed in real life. The same thing also applies to the Spray Can and Tear Gas.
- In Grand Theft Auto IV, fire extinguishers return but not as usable weapons. They can be found on the walls of some buildings and when shot, will fall to the ground and spray out foam for a short time. This foam does not have any effect on the player. This can only be done once on each fire extinguisher. Fire extinguishers can mostly be found on the corners of the Libertonian, with one spawning on each corner.