| This is the talk page for User:Gboyers. Please leave a message.
Always sign off your messages using four tildes (~~~~ ) to automatically add your signature.
To leave a message, please Reply Here.
- Use : at the start of all your lines to indent your replies to someone else, like this line.
- Also, Use four tildes (~~~~ ) to sign your name with the date, like this - Xenon 18:52, 29 July 2006 (BST)
- 1 Brave New World
- 2 Profile links
- 3 Promotion
- 4 Could you please tell NT92 to stop harassing me in my talk page?
- 5 About Grand Theft Wiki
- 6 so....how do i help out in this?
- 7 Farewell to Wikia
- 8 Images
- 9 Our Official Promoter
- 10 Missing Pics
- 11 ZS Not Staff
- 12 Non Wikia Hosted Wikis
- 13 GTA Vice City
- 14 RE: English GTA Wiki
- 15 Image Corruption
- 16 Nominate yourself for promotion
- 17 Vehicles
- 18 Hi
- 19 Re:GTA IV radio stations.
- 20 Tagalog GTA Wiki?
- 21 Wikia
- 22 Mass deletions at the GTA Wikia
- 23 Userboxes
- 24 Moving my wiki from Wikia
- 25 Corporal.png
- 26 New Domain
- 27 Banned
- 28 Wikipedia Edit Toolbar
- 29 ohaithere.
- 30 Request From An Old "friend"
- 31 Interwiki links
- 32 Wiki stability
- 33 </references> tag
- 34 Just Cause Wiki Moving
- 35 RE: Adminship
- 36 RE: Adminship
- 37 I'm a bit blind aren't I.
- 38 Merge History
- 39 Disabling WikiEd toolboxes
- 40 RE:
- 41 Pages with "%" in the title inaccessible
- 42 Does the Train need steam to start the engine?
- 43 Portal: namespace
- 44 well...this is embarrising
- 45 The engine has fuel and the wheels are greesed but the train has no name.
- 46 RE: GTW
Brave New World
I've recently created a new page which should be about a new (video) game (series) that could be released INSTEAD or AFTER GTA 5. Now I'm not sure what to do... DasRagazzoSan 14:19, August 28, 2010 (UTC)
Hey Gsboyers! I really love the wiki because of it's intelligence involving the awards I acquired, right now I want to do a profile link so I can view my customs. I think I know where the help for it might be like you just said so.
Thanks for moving the page Brave New World. I was too afraid to make it as a subpage because I thought it would be less popular. Somebody also made a new page called Viper. It's about Dodge Viper and i don't know what is it doing in this wiki!? DasRagazzoSan 14:18, August 29, 2010 (UTC)
Good day to you Gsboyers, I've been using the wiki shortly and I adore the intelligence here because of the awards I've gained and the Pedestrian Dialogue that we just added, I want to do the profile links on my profile account because I tried getting my custom over to my user page but it never appeared after I've updated it. Can you tell me what to do so I can get my custom to show like anybody else's please?
User:Crescendospectredragon 12:09, August 29, 2010 (UTC) Crescendospectredragon
- I've re-edited my last message with a proper question, do you understand now? User:Crescendospectredragon 13:22, August 29, 2010 (UTC)Crescendospectredragon
Hi again! I hope you're happy that we're having a chitter-chatter here! I just wanted to say, how do you get your own tidbits (Custom) to show on your page even if it doesn't appear on it? I'm trying to do that but it's pointless. :(User:Crescendospectredragon 13:33, August 29, 2010 (UTC)Crescendospectredragon
Hello Gboyers, Thanks for creating this wonderful site. It changed the way I look at GTA. I have been using this wiki since 2009 (almost constantly) but joined just recently. I Nominated my self for a Promotion. It might be a little soon as I only have about 12 edits as of 31.08.2010 but I am really putting effort into fixing grammar issues and Typo's. also getting rid of false information is also very important to me. So even though I am still new I think I can make a change to this Wiki.
I don't know if you will promote me. but having a position in a site as popular as yours would be great and would make me very happy. I had to deal with OP's on mibbit Because they would abuse their power...(pardon me if that sounded to dramatic.) after a while I became an OP and they would ban or kick me every time I would go on Mibbit, but that isn't important anymore because I now found my new internet love: GTW. I will do my best to help this site. promoted or not.
Sorry if I wasted your time with that.
Thanks Shayanshaffey 13:18, August 31, 2010 (UTC)
Could you please tell NT92 to stop harassing me in my talk page?
Thanks! FrankHunter 22:10, August 31, 2010 (UTC)
Hey, ummm. . . on Claude Speed's page, his picture is NOT Claude Speed. It's like real life. I think somebody messed it up or just decided it would be funny. Can you fix it? SirLinkalot96 18:39, September 1, 2010 (UTC)SirLinkalot96
sorry about the last message. I didn't read through the entire page. It was actually Claude Speed thru the movie. SirLinkalot96 18:41, September 1, 2010 (UTC)SirLinkalot96
About Grand Theft Wiki
Hey GB, I was just thinking if we could consider creating a page about Grand Thef Wiki, eg. how/when we started, what we aim for, our progression over the years, the wikia move ect. We could name this page Grand Theft Wiki (which already re-directs to the main page) or About Grand Theft Wiki. I think it would inspire and inform users to know a little more about GTW. What do you think? Chimpso (Talk) 11:15, September 30, 2010 (UTC)
so....how do i help out in this?
i was wondering if if could help you guys in the transfer, all i need to know is how to perform a special import ^_^ MegaHyperNova 12:48, 10 October 2010 (BST)
ok, btw to make this place as efficient as our old home were gonna need some of the monico features, how are we gonna do this? btw i'm gonna promote this wiki in my signature on gtaforums.com ^_^ MegaHyperNova 12:57, 10 October 2010 (BST)
wasn't there 6500 pages at the last wiki O_O this is going to take months -_- so am i supposed to just transfer the raw code from the last wiki to here or does it take something else. MegaHyperNova 13:10, 10 October 2010 (BST)
that didn't take long O_O, btw i updated my gta forum signature with the link to this new wiki ^_^ MegaHyperNova 13:18, 10 October 2010 (BST)
my home feature was easier to read, the rich text was good for casual editing, and the sub menus in the sidebar was useful those are the only things i really need back right now to edit the way i did, lol example your making a minor edit but you have to swim through all this template code to get to the spot your trying to find, now imagine trying to do that on a really long article like a timeline or something like that, thats probably why the rich text editor would be useful to have back because it was created for casual editing
its just my opinion though ^_^ MegaHyperNova 13:23, 10 October 2010 (BST)
just added are wiki to the moved wikis on the Anti-Wikia Alliance Database, so thats even more promotion ^_^ MegaHyperNova 14:12, 10 October 2010 (BST)
here's the database, btw can you add our wikis logo i had to use the grand theft auto logo because i didn't have our logo lol, anyways if you need me to promote the wiki in any other way i can just ask ^_^ MegaHyperNova 14:15, 10 October 2010 (BST)
Farewell to Wikia
Nice new site! The Hole 13:53, 10 October 2010 (BST)
Just dropping by to report that images have not made it through the duplication. Resized images for regular thumbnails are still there, but not the full-sized originals. Anything that can be done about that? - ZS 02:59, 11 October 2010 (BST)
- Good to have you back. I'm aware that some images have not made it here, but most of them have. The File: pages are all there (with the name & license etc), so the images just need to be manually saved and uploaded (under the same name). The script I was using to download the images seems to leave a few behind every time. If there are important pages that you need help fixing, let me know on issues. If thumbnails are showing up but the main image isn't there, that's not possible, and it must be your browser playing up? Can you link me to an image where that happens? Gboyers 03:03, 11 October 2010 (BST)
- File:LibertonianMuseum-GTA4-exteriorMiddleParkside.jpg, for example, but I can dig up a few more examples as I inspect other articles. I'll see what else I can do, but with my home telephone line having gone dead, I will not be able to be on the Internet most of the time for now.
Btw, is it possible to set galleries to accept image links without the "File:" prefix? A large number of galleries (including those within image pages) avoid using it for simplification (i.e. Middle Park#Gallery), but are now failing to display in the old gallery system. - ZS 03:30, 11 October 2010 (BST)
- File:LibertonianMuseum-GTA4-exteriorMiddleParkside.jpg, for example, but I can dig up a few more examples as I inspect other articles. I'll see what else I can do, but with my home telephone line having gone dead, I will not be able to be on the Internet most of the time for now.
- P.S.: You might want to make it public that some images are not showing up properly, and invite people to help fix them. That should help speed up adjustments. - ZS 03:49, 11 October 2010 (BST)
- I discovered a weird effect to restore the images. First I find an image that is broken (like the one linked above). Then I find the old name of that image, which didn't have the correct history. Then I move that image and choose the option to delete to make way for move. The broken image along with the history of the broken image is wiped out and the image is moved. When I restored the deleted page, the history is restored but the image stayed visible. Is this a good way to make the images show up again without reuploading the images?--spaceeinstein 09:55, 11 October 2010 (BST)
- That's interesting, but it would only work where there are multiple uploads of the same image, no? Gboyers 09:58, 11 October 2010 (BST)
- I'm guessing that most, if not all, of the broken image problem is because the images was renamed in their history. So far, the broken images I see had been moved before. The images that used the old name is visible but with broken history while the image that used the new name is broken but with a complete history.--spaceeinstein 10:06, 11 October 2010 (BST)
- Aha - you're absolutely right! I'd not thought of that. When moved the image at wikia will keep the same filename, but the page would change. So when my script tried to download File2.jpg, it would actually still be named /File1.jpg from before it was moved. SO we have to go around moving images to get them to work. Please don't tell me that's for ALL the vehicle images that were renamed to the new format last year? Gboyers 10:16, 11 October 2010 (BST)
- Manually? :O There are also many scenic and character images that have this problem. Unfortunately I found instances where the technique wouldn't work. I'm guessing it's because the images were uploaded too recently. Looking at the upload log, new images (without replacing older ones) uploaded after around June 25 don't seem to get imported to here at all.--spaceeinstein 10:54, 11 October 2010 (BST)
- I'll try running the script slightly differently, that should give us some more recently-uploaded images. Gboyers 10:55, 11 October 2010 (BST)
- After a while of restoring images, it seems like all my assumptions were not true. All this now seem really random. It will take a while to have all the images restored :( --spaceeinstein 02:11, 12 October 2010 (BST)
Our Official Promoter
i would like to be an official promoter of our website, by going to other gta and gaming websites such as gta forums, Gta Place, and by inviting all my friends on xbox live to join this wiki, i could probably find other methods of getting people to join, btw are you glad i added our new wiki to the AWA database earlier today? MegaHyperNova 03:21, 11 October 2010 (BST)
- This wiki is a big community, unfortunately I can't go around thanking everyone for everything they do. We all work together and do as much as we can to make this site a better place, whether someone says thank you or not. As for promotions, we absolutely need to spread the word to as many people as possible. You should definitely post on every forum that you're a member of, add it to your signature, tell your friends etc. Although I would leave contacting the big GTA sites up to staff, because we already have a relationship with staff at those sites, and only we can decide what to offer in return (like a partnership, or linking to them in return etc). Thanks for your interest though, and keep spreading the good word! Gboyers 10:19, 11 October 2010 (BST)
ok :) lol i can't remember if i'm a member of Gta Place or not i'll go on it later and check and if i am, i'll spread the word :) p.s i invited the User Hanzai to join the wiki, you can check a list of members i invited on my talk page :D MegaHyperNova 04:24, 12 October 2010 (BST)
Hey, I noticed that there's some file pics that are missing. I'm assuming that this happened during the move. Any chance they'll be coming back?
Just and update, saw some of the safehouse pics still on old site. I can get those, but the Vice City and and SanAndreas seem to be gone for good.
I finding more, but there's no way I can possibly get them all. I'm gonna need help.
Last Update: I've got the pics for Locations and Safehouses GTAIV, and Safehouses Lost and Damned. Just tell me where to drop them off. Sorry, you're gonna have to find the rest...
ZS Not Staff
Eh, no go. It says "File does not exist," but says nothing about uploading...
Nope. It stops after, "No file by this name exists."
Non Wikia Hosted Wikis
Hi Gboyers, Congratulations on your move of the GTA Wiki from wikia. The Site has a nice 'clean look without all the added clutter that was being forced on users. I 'run' a niche wiki that I started on wikia to save all the 'hassle' of hosting and creating the wiki infrastructure but after 2 + years that has now proved a mistake (following the forced introduction of Oasis). I'm not really impressed by the other wiki farms on offer, so some form of 'self hosting' looks the way to go to avoid a repeat of the wikia 'problem' down the line. Could you please point me to any online service to set up a wiki or help as to how to set up a site like this my self - I've looked at mediawiki.org for the core code but the associated database and server code needed to host it my self has me baffled as to setting it all up. Are you using/ or do you know a website hosting service that 'creates' the mediawiki based site for you that you could recommend to me based in the UK if possible ? (I'm sure these same issues are stopping many others leaving wikia as well, but you appear to have successfully solved them, apart from porting / adding some of wikias better proprietary add-ons to the std mediawiki install which are non essential, hence my request for help). - a hopefully soon to be independent ex wikia site admin. -Traxcavator 21:04, 11 October 2010 (BST)
PS Your post a message link a top of page points to your wikia userpage ! is this intentional ? - Traxcavator 21:04, 11 October 2010 (BST)
Strange - looks better now ;) maybe it was because I was not registered then ! - Traxcavator 00:12, 12 October 2010 (BST)
- I fixed the link to wikia - thanks for pointing that out. As you mention, there are several free wiki farms that exist, however most of these are small, and might not exist forever. If you aren't very very comfortable with PHP, linux shell and SQL, you shouldn't host your own wiki. Wikia is a much more stable option for wikis like you describe, I wish there was a better one. Unfortunately we aren't in a position to offer free wiki hosting, but I would consider it for a hosting fee. It would cost more than cheap/free hosting because of the management involved, and the resource-intensive mediawiki software, but it would give you full control and keep you away from the evils of Wikia. Which wiki do you run? Gboyers 00:41, 12 October 2010 (BST)
GTA Vice City
Hey, I think GTA Vice city is the best GTA game made with San Andreas close behind mostly because of its thought out characters and scenic places although I don't owned GTA IV I just lay it sometimes at my friends house but it looks good, but I was thinking after playing VCS about 100 times about making a page all about the myths of the GTA series like the wall in GTA IV that says all the previous GTA protagonists are dead or how Vic was the dead hanging man in the freezer in VC intro or the huge Epsilon myths I have heard about.- Rockzaw
RE: English GTA Wiki
Since the German Grand Theft Auto Wiki is loyal to its Wikia "parent", it's not an easy decision. I, for myself, want to support the new English Grand Theft Auto Wiki - whatever reason led to this decision -, but "your" site is an unofficial one. Adding the new adress would be like backstabbing Wikia because we are satisfied with it. We will discuss this one.
Best wishes Zaibatsu 20:52, 13 October 2010 (BST)
Hi. On the Stinger page, the images in the gallery seem to be corrupting the page. I couldn't delete File:Stinger-GTA3-front.jpg. It would display this error: "Error deleting file: Could not create directory "deleted/s/c/y".--spaceeinstein 02:56, 14 October 2010 (BST)
- That was a permissions error. Should be fixed now. If these error become common, I'll have to write a script to regularly go around and set the permissions. Gboyers 10:22, 14 October 2010 (BST)
- You're right, that's now fixed. Gboyers 00:45, 3 November 2010 (UTC)
Nominate yourself for promotion
Hi Gboyers! You have requested to nominate yourself for promotion. To do so, please click this button and then save:
I thought that the missions pages (in particular for GTA IV, TLAD and TBOGT) were the most popular, hence why I changed it. Great to see that GTA San Andreas still has the most popular page on the site. A-Dust 19:44, 14 October 2010 (BST)
I am a common wikia user, Seahorseruler, and I have been reading the gta wiki for over a year. I am just as upset as you are about this terrible new "Oasis" skin they have released. Wikia have attempted to demote and ban me from large wikis I am a crat on just for attempting to move, and I see they have done the same to you. I honestly needed to voice my opinion on how horrible they are. I would really like to say you are really brave standing up against wikia like that. You are a great example, and would like to wish you the best of luck off of wikia, and I will be moving some of my own wikis off as well, and I will start editing the gta wiki aswell some more. Thank you and have a great day! --Seahorseruler 23:17, 14 October 2010 (BST)
Re:GTA IV radio stations.
That's a good idea, thanks. However, you might want to recheck the spam-whitelist, as you've written "bamazon.com", which I think is the reason it's not letting me add the new template to the remaining radio station pages. --Bluesboyjr 23:34, 14 October 2010 (BST)
- It's all done now, so you can reblock it or whatever you need to do. --Bluesboyjr 20:12, 15 October 2010 (BST)
Tagalog GTA Wiki?
Hey, Gboyers! Can you make tagalog/Filipino version of this wiki? And also I like this site :) --Gta4bigfan 07:05, 17 October 2010 (BST)
I don't get why you left wikia, there GTA wiki site looks so much better than this one and Oasis is actually really good, i have no problems with it. The Tom 00:11, 18 October 2010 (BST)
It does, i've never viewed the oasis skin as a logged off user so i never noticed th adverts and i do a agree with the content space, it is very small and also the name of the uploader but that never really bothered me much, i really like the look of the Oasis skin but i agree they should have listened to people, but what's this about wikia running the sites and choosing admins, admins work very hard for the wiki's and do a good job of running them in most cases, i think wikia should get less involved with the communities as they run themselves. The Tom 00:37, 18 October 2010 (BST)
By the way i think you need something similar to the wiki activity or my home if there isn't already something. The Tom 00:37, 18 October 2010 (BST)
I'm not sure if lots of people use it it's just the first thing i go on, i like to see recent changes, i really admire this wiki it's one of the closest community i've seen on wiki's, i'm trying to build a community like it on Mafia wiki which i'm a bureaucrat on but it's pretty hard, by the way whats that donate thing? The Tom 00:59, 18 October 2010 (BST)
By the way, are you and the admins deleting pages from the other GTA wiki, there seems to be less pages on there everytime i go on. The Tom 01:01, 18 October 2010 (BST)
Mass deletions at the GTA Wikia
I've only been away for just over week (Minecraft has really consumed much of my free time), but so much has happened. While I've expected the GTA Wikia to go its own way, I didn't expect it to approve indiscriminate article deletions (The Zaibatsu page, for example, was deleted on the grounds it was listed under the "Businesses in GTA III" category), which is utter bullocks.
With this crap going on, this wiki looks to be more attractive at this point. The only pressing issues that need to be addressed are missing edits and images, and I'm most concerned about the latter, especially since preexisting ones at the Wikia are running the risk of being deleted in that "cleanup" exercise. I can reupload the ones I've taken, but it's going to take a very long time to do since I've spend a good whole year uploading hundreds, if not thousands, of these images. - ZS 06:24, 18 October 2010 (BST)
- On the topic of post-migration adjustments, there are also other minor changes that need to be done:
- All inter-Wikia links (i.e. in Manhunt) must be changed to regular HTTP URL links. This should be easy with a bot.
- All images in galleries must include the "Image:" or "File:" prefix. There are lots of articles that do not include the prefix, resulting in "pictureless" galleries.
- I'll be back some other time to confirm whether the deletions at the GTA Wikia are to encompass more article. - ZS 10:27, 18 October 2010 (BST)
Hey man, After creating a wiki of my own, I want to have userboxes like I have on here. This works fine and I can get them on my page but then I cannot put any text or templates under the userbox templates without them being included in the "box" containing the userboxes. This is quite hard to explain, but I hope you understand. How can I stop this from happening? --Ezanrki 19:09, 19 October 2010 (BST)
- Quite simply, you have forgotten a </div> tag or to close your table with |}. You'll need to go through the code for the template and check you have the same number of <div> open tags as </div> close tags, and make sure everything lines up properly. Gboyers 20:14, 19 October 2010 (BST)
- Hey man thanks this worked :) --Ezanrki 12:49, 20 October 2010 (BST)
Moving my wiki from Wikia
Hey, I'm moving my wiki off Wikia. I was wondering, how do I access my wiki's database? I'd ask Uberfuzzy, but chances are he'd just spit in my face and globalblock me, so I figured I might as well ask someone who's done it before. --Gp75motorsports 21:14, 19 October 2010 (BST)
- You need to go to Special:Statistics and request a dump. I've hit the request button for you, and it will take a few days to create that. If you're hosting it yourself, you can then install MediaWiki and use importDump.php to import the XML database dump into the new wiki. Unfortunately this will not download images, you'll have to do that yourself. Although some complex scripts do exist to help, they're pretty tricky and not that great. Gboyers 21:30, 19 October 2010 (BST)
- Hey, thanks man. I owe you one! If you need something done, just ask me. I play GTA a lot as well, so I know a little about it. :) --Gp75motorsports 20:44, 21 October 2010 (BST)
- OK, I've got the dump. What do I do now? Gp75motorsports 05:32, 25 October 2010 (BST)
This is where it gets tricky unless you know what you're doing with MediaWiki and SSH. You need to install MediaWiki, and run importDump.php to import that dump into it. The dump there seems to still be the January one - you should wait for an October one, and contact Wikia if it hasn't been generated yet. Gboyers 09:13, 25 October 2010 (BST)
- Well actually I was thinking I'd move to another farm. Sorry for not clearing that up. So I guess in that case I just ask the farm staff to create a version of my wiki with the October dump? --Gp75motorsports 05:27, 26 October 2010 (BST)
Hey man just a question the image: Corporal.png has a box around it that is usually not visible but ive noticed it is quite visible when the blue background is added on the banners and userboxes. Ive fixed this image on my computer so the box is gone. Can I upload it and replace the current one so all banners would be updated? --Ezanrki 13:00, 20 October 2010 (BST)
- Sure, feel free to re-upload under the same name, so long as you don't reduce the quality of it. I have the original anyway. Gboyers 13:07, 20 October 2010 (BST)
- Ok I uploaded it but for some reason it didnt work the first time so I reuploaded and then they both worked... so you can just delete the extra one to avoid clutter. Oh and another question, is it possible to change the color of my signature? how do i do that. i know i can change custom signature but where and how to i type the color code? thanks --Ezanrki 13:41, 20 October 2010 (BST)
- To change the color of your signature, you need to include HTML tags. So let's say you wanted to change the color of your signature to red. To do that, you'd type <font color=red>Ezanrki</font>. That should produce this: Ezanrki. Hope that helps! --Gp75motorsports 21:17, 21 October 2010 (BST)
Hey Gboyers why did you yet again upload a different Corporal.png? The one I uploaded did not have the lines around it and was much better quality. Why did you change the file to one that you uploaded later? Ezanrki 12:29, 5 November 2010 (UTC)
- The one you uploaded  had a white blur around the edges of the shape, which showed up when it was used against a dark background. So I re-edited the original to get rid of the lines around the outside that you suggested . Thanks for pointing out the problem - Gboyers 12:46, 5 November 2010 (UTC)
Hey, I'm the creator/admin of the Criminal Minds wiki at wikia. I'm a bit pissed off about the new look also, and was wondering what you had to do to transfer the entire wiki over to your new domain. I may be doing the same thing. I already have a website with an Apache server, and can just as easily get a new one to use for the CM wiki. I was just wondering if I'd have to manually copy every single page over to the new domain once I get mediawiki installed. Any info you can give would be appreciated. -Template:Sec
- Glad to see another wiki making the right move. I answered this above. To get a backup/dump of your wiki, you go to Special:Statistics, click the request-backup button, and a new dump should appear there in a few days. You can then import that dump to a new/blank MediaWiki installation. That backs up all pages, but not images, which you can manually download and re-upload under the same names. Users and accounts are not copied either, so people would register a new account with the same name. It can get complicated, so get someone who's confident with MediaWiki. Gboyers 22:17, 24 October 2010 (BST)
Why did wikia ban you and the staff from wikia, that seems a bit unneccesary as some of your staff contribute to other wiki's too so they've just lost a lot of good eitiors. The Tom 08:28, 24 October 2010 (BST)
Wikipedia Edit Toolbar
Hi, while I'm reluctant to support installing a rich text editor, as it prevents new users from even getting the chance to learn the quicker, easier wiki-markup, not to mention that they break the wiki code, I quite like Wikipedia's new edit toolbar available in the WikiEditor extension. It makes the default toolbar more user friendly, helping new users to learn the wiki markup. I know that we're not using the development version of MediaWiki, however, you can get an old version compatible with 1.16 from here, or the entire UsabilityInitiative extension for 1.16 from here. Thoughts? JFletcherTalk (formerly User:Biggest gta fan ever) 02:23, 25 October 2010 (BST)
Guess who? Hah, you can see by my sig anyway. So, BGTAFE/JFletcher convinced me to come back and set up here. However, I'd like to move to a new username, like him. He said to talk to you first, to get my admin rights and change my username, and I have to prove I'm really Masterpogihaha. Don't know how, really. But I would like you to know I am who I am. Thanks. Masterpogihaha 12:05, 25 October 2010 (BST)
- I can confirm his identity simply because he referred to an email conversation with me (which was sent through the email user function at Wikia). JFletcherTalk (formerly User:Biggest gta fan ever) 12:10, 25 October 2010 (BST)
Ohai, good to see you here. The easiest way to confirm your identity is just by posting on Wikia as per these instructions. However, as JFletcher has confirmed that, I'll promote you. What would you like your username changing to? I can do this for any user, but only as a one-off (not changing it every month). Gboyers 12:50, 25 October 2010 (BST)
- Err, I'll go with my TGTAP and Last.fm username, "Paperworktemple". Thanks for weloming me back, btw. Masterpogihaha 15:06, 26 October 2010 (BST)
Request From An Old "friend"
Hey there Gboyers, looks like this is the new wiki (that you created, i didnt know that), well i must say this looks fine. Anyways, the Just Cause Wiki is basically dead without your knowledge, i cant code for crap (like i could before :S) anymore with this new crappy "Oasis" layout, and i was wondering (if you could bare with wikia) to make an account and rejoin the JCwiki. This is ofcourse a request in the form of a plea for help but you know.. Kronos890989 06:04, 27 October 2010 (BST)
Are the interwiki links really necessary now that we're no longer part of Wikia? A-Dust 02:42, 29 October 2010 (BST)
- No. I was testing them out, in case we wanted to host any other languages here (de.grandtheftwiki.com), but that's not happening at the moment. I will change the interwiki link settings to redirect to Grand Theft Wiki:Interwiki, where we will explain. I wouldn't go around removing the links (yet), because we may use them in the future. Gboyers 02:58, 29 October 2010 (BST)
I'm a bit concerned since this wiki has been experiencing downtime in a space of less than a day. While it's only been a mere few weeks since the move, the decision to have this wiki sustained through donations could be disastrous if we do not inform wiki-goers on how important it is that there is at least some money to pay for hosting. I've seen similarly sized wikis shutting down because they weren't able to secure financing, and as a result lost countless numbers of articles, edit histories and archives when the servers were switched off.
I like to know if you have long-term plans to keep this place running. - ZS 10:20, 2 November 2010 (UTC)
- I understand your concerns. This wiki is running on the same server as The GTA Place, and there are long-term plans to maintain both sites on this server (or future TGTAP servers) for at least a few more years. We have had no donations so far, so this server is being funded entirely by TGTAP's adverts, so we will either have to encourage donation or resort to (tasteful and well-placed) advertisments. The downtime yesterday was due to upgrading to MediaWiki 1.17, and there are other short bouts of downtime when I install new extensions. We do sometimes get downtime for about 10 minutes when the server is backing itself up. We're also tweaking the security settings on the server to reduce automatic blocks. If there is other downtime, where the wiki is completely inaccessible, check DownForEveryoneOrJustMe, and let me know the exact time so I can look into it. TLDR, we won't be shutting down, but donations and/or ads would help us get a more powerful server to reduce downtime, and a better backup system. Gboyers 14:10, 2 November 2010 (UTC)
- After more investigation, I found the firewall had been blocking hundreds of users per day. It was probably something in mediawiki that made too many server requests in a short space of time that triggered the block. I've changed the settings and removed all those blocks so this shouldn't happen again. Gboyers 00:50, 3 November 2010 (UTC)
- It might contribute, but it seems to have suddenly got worse today. It should only have affected people who were actively editing or uploading, but we'll see if things perk up. Gboyers 00:59, 3 November 2010 (UTC)
On another note, I've noticed reference tags don't seem to work in this wiki, which is unusual because they should be standard in all wiki software; see Salvatore Leone, Grove Street Families and Picador for examples. Is there any solution to this problem? - ZS 03:39, 3 November 2010 (UTC)
- The <reference> and <ref> tags are actually part of the Cite extension. JFletcherTalk (formerly User:Biggest gta fan ever) 05:24, 3 November 2010 (UTC)
I had to disable that extension whilst we upgraded to the latest version of MediaWiki. I'll see if I can get it turned on again. I'm not a huge fan of having lots of references, as they're pretty clunky and take up loads of space on the page. If something is ingame, just say which game and mission/location/character and don't bother with a reference. If something is not ingame, link to it, but uusally you don't need a reference. Gboyers 09:54, 3 November 2010 (UTC)
Just Cause Wiki Moving
Yeah, me again, im done with that BS back at Wikia and im getting a database dump to shoutwiki(probably). So anyways why didnt you reply to my previous message? Also i was wondering if you wanted to be a bureaucrat when the new wiki is up and running? Yes? No? Maybe? Kronos890989 23:26, 4 November 2010 (UTC)
- I did reply here. I'm happy to be a bureaucrat and help you guys out, although I'm quite busy at the moment and won't be able to dedicate huge amounts of time. We're toying with the idea of hosting multiple wikis here, with shared user accounts either paid for or with some adverts to pay for the server. Just let me know - Gboyers 00:14, 5 November 2010 (UTC)
Um What i was truly wondering was how it might be possible for one such as myself to become an admin
Ok i will do my best to help out as much as i can
I'm a bit blind aren't I.
I didn't even see the first message you left me but that's because Wikia forgot to mention it to me. Now I've been having second thoughts about moving but I'm also having third thoughts about moving, right now i'm torn. See if i tried to have my own domain i would fail (even though i like the sound of justcausewiki.com) because I'm not the best at financing. Also did you mention something about multiple websites hosted on your server or some thing? If we could do that i would be very very pleased. Kronos890989 17:50, 5 November 2010 (UTC)
- We could easily host Just Cause wiki here, just like GTW. Even sharing a user database so users don't have to register more than once. However, because we have to pay to run this server, it could not be free, and would require either contributions towards the server costs (a few pounds/dollars a month), perhaps including donations from the users, or adverts (although much nicer than Wikia). Your own domain would be best, and you would need to do some marketing to make loads of gaming-related websites link back to your new site. You should ask the users whether that's what they'd want to do. Gboyers 17:57, 5 November 2010 (UTC)
- Edited Afer realizing i didnt read something right| Ive been thinking, could you manage the website (I.E. make the website and apply wiki but have it on the same server. see this would make everything less confusing, and if thats what you intended, great!
- Post Script: I don't mind having advertisements as long as they are tasteful.
--Kronos890989 01:38, 7 November 2010 (UTC)
In the staff discussion forum you said to use Special:MergeHistory instead of simply copying page content, but that special page is restricted to Executive Managers (The action you have requested is limited to users in the group: Executive Managers). JFletcherTalk (formerly User:Biggest gta fan ever) 23:09, 7 November 2010 (UTC)
- Fixed Gboyers 00:03, 8 November 2010 (UTC)
Disabling WikiEd toolboxes
I trust you should be familiar with these things that pop up over textboxes in any edit page (even the upload page). While I've managed to turn most of these toolbars off, the main toolbox (the one with 10 buttons) can't be removed and still manages to slow down my computer each time I try to edit a page; messing around with my preferences doesn't seem to help either. Is there any other way to eliminate these things? - ZS 04:37, 8 November 2010 (UTC)
- To completely disable wikiEd, simply click the wikiEd logo, next to the log out button at the top of the page. I think it should remain disabled for your account unless you click the logo again to enable it. I have also done this myself, and it seems to be working fine so far!. JFletcherTalk (formerly User:Biggest gta fan ever) 04:44, 8 November 2010 (UTC)
Yep, I'm still here. The edit I made was to revert vandalism to the wikia copy. Normally I would not have cared about someone vandalising that copy now, but seeing as we need that advertisment on the main page I decided to revert it. Anyways I'm still around (as you can see by me noticing that) and willing to help. Just have not found much to do around here. There is little labourous tasks you can perform with a dial-up connection...
Is there anything you wanted me to do? If so let me know :).
EDIT: Nice placement of the Google ad by the way. If only wikia would be more like that and not have their ads in the article space. It looks good in the sidebar.Chimpso (Talk) 05:58, 8 November 2010 (UTC)
Pages with "%" in the title inaccessible
Looks like the problem includes all pages covering 100% completion (the only way I managed to access one of them is entering via a redirect, by searching for "100"). Clicking any of the links redirects me to a "406.shtml" page, which I assume refers to the 406 error. Hope this is fixed ASAP. - ZS 08:18, 9 November 2010 (UTC)
- I'm afraid it's not that simple. Given the super-short URLs we use, it's not easy to get all symbols working. I have everything else working, just not % at the moment. The next thing I try is hardcoding it into the apache config, instead of htaccess, but that will result in some downtime as I try to get it working. Gboyers 19:43, 9 November 2010 (UTC)
- Good job. Now we just need to figure out how to enable editing, because any attempt to access any of their edit pages leads us back to the main wiki page. I can wait. - ZS 01:49, 11 November 2010 (UTC)
Does the Train need steam to start the engine?
First off i would like to say that the text editor that you have now is great, its a huge improvement on any regular wiki editor. Since thats done i would like to ask about how i can start the process of moving the Just Cause Wiki to here, and what needs to be done to get this train rolling (hence the title). So how are we going to start this because i would like to ASAP. --Kronos890989 22:08, 9 November 2010 (UTC)
- I'm working on the technical stuff behind the scenes, I'll let you know when it's ready. I'm trying to get it set up similarly to Wikia, where the wikis are half-integrated but still separate. Gboyers 22:58, 9 November 2010 (UTC)
Hi, I think you should create a Portal: namespace so that the talk pages line up properly (such as Portal talk:GTA IV instead of Talk:Portal:GTA IV). JFletcherTalk (formerly User:Biggest gta fan ever) 11:43, 11 November 2010 (UTC)
well...this is embarrising
i don't know if you noticed but i've been offline for a week or two -_- that would be for two reasons 1 my computer broke down, 2 my dad couldn't pay the internet this month (i'm using a public computer Btw) anyways sorry if i haven't been helping out, and i probably won't be able to respond to anything for a while, i just wanted to let you know :) anyways i will let you know when everything gets fixed XD MegaHyperNova 17:43, 13 November 2010 (UTC)
The engine has fuel and the wheels are greesed but the train has no name.
I've been contemplating on how to raise enough money for the domain name, the wiki size is too small to hold a fundraiser, and i'm quite sure you(Gboyers) and your wiki's users don't want to pay.
I want to donate but i don't use credit cards...
This is quite a boggle.
Either than that everything is running good, but i have noticed some of the editing text doesnt work here, what is that?
This is what i mean <mainpage-endcolumn /> <mainpage-rightcolumn-start /> 300px
<bloglist summary="true" summarylength=200 timestamp="true" count=3> <title>Blogs</title> <type>bloglist</type> <order>date</order> <category>Blog posts</category> </bloglist>
thats on the JC2 portal page, ideas?
For the logo, do i just upload it as wiki.png?
--Kronos890989 06:45, 14 November 2010 (UTC)
Hmm, yes, it'd be pretty cool if you'd be able to transfer all my edits to this site. It wouldn't feel like starting all over again (not that I just edited on the wiki to get high up the Featured Users list, but you know what I mean). So yes, sign me up! Though, right now, I'm supposed to have Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood delivered here to my house, so when I get it, I'll be playing around with that for a while. =P But I'll be sure to edit here soon!
-- Master Sima Yi 12:10, 18 November 2010 (UTC)