| This is the talk page for User:Gboyers. Please leave a message.
Always sign off your messages using four tildes (~~~~ ) to automatically add your signature.
To leave a message, please Reply Here.
- Use : at the start of all your lines to indent your replies to someone else, like this line.
- Also, Use four tildes (~~~~) to sign your name with the date, like this - Xenon 18:52, 29 July 2006 (BST)
So who created the wiki?
Just wondered who created this wiki. Please tell me ASAP
- Technically me, but there is a longer answer if you want. Two separate wikis were created. One was created on Wikia by User:Thai420, and I separately created Grand Theft Wiki. A couple of years ago, GTW moved to Wikia, and the content from the old one was moved into this one. So technically I created this wiki, although Thai420 created a different GTA wiki before that (which no longer exists on its own). Gboyers talk 14:01, 31 May 2009 (UTC)
How to become staff
Why did you promote GuildKnight as high as you and how can I be a moderator? I was thinking that if GuildKnight started as an ordinary person and rose through the ranks maybe I can. I want to hear his story and here how I can be like him.
- First of all, GuildKnight is female. If you aren't paying enough attention to know that, then you don't know the wiki well enough to be a senior staff member. And you didn't even sign your name after your talk page comment, which shows you don't know how wikis work. It's not looking good. All staff are normal wiki editors first and foremost - if you aren't the best at writing content, then you simply can't be allowed to moderate other people's content. And best doesn't mean most. The promotion procedure is shown at Project:Promotion. I promoted GK to be a Manager because she is sensible enough not to abuse her position - she rarely uses her manager position - but I know that if I needed her to do anything, she could. Gboyers talk 12:42, 2 June 2009 (UTC)
Sorry about that. Kinda new. I just don't see many girls play GTA. How come she got a speedy promotion? Just Wondering
- Remember to sign your comments (using ~~~~). Speedy promotions usually occur when we have fewer staff than we currently need; or when the wiki isn't active enough to bother going through the lengthy promotion discussion process (eg with an upcoming game release when we're about to get busy). She had experience on other wikis, and proved her editing abilities very quickly. After she became Administrator, I knew I could trust her enough to hold Management status without being headstrong and trying to change things just because she could. Although there are lots of people who would be able to do the job, probably very well, there's nobody else that I would trust to not use the position unless needed (if that makes sense). Gboyers talk 19:39, 2 June 2009 (UTC)
What do you think of children playing GTA?
I'm sorry. Its kind of random, but Jack Thompson just made me ask it. So whats your opinion? - Peter13
- That's more of a question for the Forum than me personally. I moderate on The GTA Place Forums, and I see a lot of children on there. Whilst 15 upwards I don't have a problem, when it is 12 and 13 year olds it is wrong. Speaking from countless hours of dealing with them, I know they don't have the maturity to hold a real discussion. I've seen them burst into tears because of a warning, and explode when someone says something remotely against them. So no, I don't think they should play violent games either. Gboyers talk 20:01, 2 June 2009 (UTC)
How about a 14 year old? Just wondering. Also, I find that it depends on the child not the age. I have seen very mature 10 year olds and immature 16 year olds. I partly agree on your answer but there is still gray area.
- I'm not suggesting that overnight on their 15th birthday they suddenly become able to cope with stuff, that's why I left that grey area. To be safe, I personally would not allow 14 year olds to purchase or play the games, but I would allow 15 year olds to. In the UK it's an 18 age limit, which is a bit restrictive. But some of the prostitution, crime and dark storylines are not what 14 year olds should be exposed to, not matter how mature they think they are. Gboyers talk 21:32, 2 June 2009 (UTC)
I agree, but there is the very slim chance 0.01% that a 8 year old could handle the game. Everyone has there own perspective. Also in Canada it is 17 that you can buy the game. But one year does not make much of a difference.
- I'm not talking about not being able to handle it, as in cry and go crazy. I'm talking about what they should be exposed to at their age. Whilst most of GTA is fun there are themes there that should be adult-only. The sex, prositution, drug abuse, the really dark storylines, and the life-and-death choices that you can make. Whilst most kids could handle this without breaking up, they should still not be exposed to this. It's like parents having a divorce (but not as bad) - whilst it probably won't destroy the kid, it will scar and play on their mind, and they should be able to go through their childhood without those issues. Maturity isn't some random scale that you go up, or a test that you eventually pass - nor is it something you can be taught or learn yourself - it's a complex issue that you can't understand until long afterwards. Any kids that think they are mature definitely aren't. It takes a lot of maturity to admit that you aren't mature yet. Gboyers talk 02:43, 3 June 2009 (UTC)
I agree. But it is a bit of a paradox. I mean the people who think they are mature are not, and the people who think their not mature enough are. Its a bit strange. On a bit of an unrelated note, I have made the unofficial quiz of Grand Theft Wiki. If you want to be in it, or feature it, it at the below link: Unofficial Grand Theft Wiki Quiz
- It's not a paradox. It takes SOME maturity to know that you aren't completely mature. You are never completely mature, but to be mature enough to be considered an adult you need to be mature enough to know your own weaknesses. If a 13 or 14 year old kid thought they knew enough, and thought they were mature, that is (yet more) proof that they are not. Most kids that age probably do think they understand everything they need to, but none of them do. Gboyers talk 03:47, 3 June 2009 (UTC)
Sorry for the downpour of questions. I just want to get fully immersed in this wiki. If your only 19 years old and you started playing GTA games in the 90's, does that mean you started plating when you were around 10 years old?
- This wiki isn't just me, it's the entire community. But I certainly wasn't playing GTA in the 90s. Don't forget that GTA 1 was only released in 1997. I think I first played GTA 1 when I was around 14. Those games were suitable for those ages, because it was just driving and shooting, and the storyline was almost invisible. From GTA III onwards it becomes unsuitable. Vice City I got at 15 I think - given that drugs are quite prevalent in the storyline I wouldn't go much younger. But GTASA and GTA IV are definitely 15+ at least in my opinion. Gboyers talk 12:02, 3 June 2009 (UTC)
Gboyers, How did you?
I've looked all around your wiki short of sifting through and checking the history, how did you get that wonderful banner image across you site? I'm working on one for the Jurassic Park wiki and would love the info on how to make it work. If you could at least point me in the right direction, that would be appreciated.--My Name Is Tom 06:58, 4 June 2009 (UTC)
- I left this for you in the forums, but i decided to leave it here just in case you missed it. BTW, we share a love for GTA games i have 6 of them, and it looks like you have plenty of help, so you don't need mine, but could i get yours?--My Name Is Tom 21:45, 4 June 2009 (UTC)