Content Changes in GTA San Andreas
| Some of the information on this page might not be accurate.
Please help by correcting the information, finding sources to prove the information, or discussing the issues on the talk page.
|Part of this article are based on realistic Speculation and might not turn out to be correct.|
All software goes through development stages, and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is no exception. This article lists all contents cut from the final release of the game, planned contents that did not make it into the final game, and contents that are in the final game but are made inaccessible. These contents range from deleted vehicles and player skins to the removal of entire characters and mission strands. Information about these contents can only be inferred from game files, pre-release screenshots and videos, previews, and interviews with Rockstar's producers.
- Characters including Officer Carver, Larry and Poncho were removed.
- Both Sweet and Big Smoke had their appearances changed. Sweet was originally dressed in black and wore a black skully, Big Smoke wore a white jersey and did not wear a hat, exposing his shaved head.
- Kendl Johnson's facial model and clothing were altered.
- Gang members looked different and wore different clothing.
- Each city had its own motorcycle cop model, whereas in the final release the same model is used for all cities (The beta cop models can still be found on the game´s files)
- According to a strategy guide, the Triad members were originally different.
- According to a preview before the games release, Steve Scott was originally going to return for a "big" action movie in San Andreas.
- In a screen before the games release Carl Johnson looked slightly older than the current one.
- Fatman and monkeyman where cut, it most likely appear to be a pedestrian.
- A deputy was going to be present in the game, but was cut before release. The unused texture and the deputy model can still be found in the game's files.
- There are many deleted missions which include The Truth is Out There and Impounded, or missions with different objectives which include Doberman, Photo Opportunity and Beat Down on B Dup.
- In the first version of Saint Mark's Bistro, CJ had to chase Marco Forelli with a car in the streets of Portland, but for some reason, Portland is not full in the final version (only Saint Mark's, Red Light District and some place of Chinatown and Portland View) and the road isn't solid everywhere.
- Fish in a Barrel was supposedly an actual mission instead of a mere cutscene.
- In Sweet's Girl, originally Sweet did not have a gun, so CJ escorted him out.
- In Photo Opportunity, unused text implies that CJ hijacked and used a helicopter. This would make sense, since during the retail mission CJ and Cesar yell at each other as if Toreno and the others could not hear them, even though they are just on the other side of the street.
- There was going to be a mission involving a search for Big Smoke.
- There was going to be a different race in the Los Santos Stadium.
- According to cut text, San Andreas was going to have a mission pack.
- In beta, car- and bike school had to run in same place, in Doherty's driving school.
- The Pizza Boy side-mission was removed.
- The Top Fun mini game from Vice City was supposedly to return but its was removed for unknown reasons.
- According to the PS2 files, there was to be originally 50 rampages (non-multiplayer) all over the map, but this was cut for unknown reasons. It is possible that they were cut due to CJ's personality in the game, as he isn't as sociopathic as Claude or Tommy Vercetti and doesn't like killing innocents.
- Originally, in pier 69 it was going to be Ryder who gets killed on the pier, and T-Bone who swims to the boat. The game contains unused audio files that prove this.
- The mission "Parachute" was removed but nothing is much known about the mission.
- In the mission "555 We Tip", the strategy guide shows the dead valet's buttocks, suggesting that CJ took off the valet's underwear when taking the valet uniform. This was probably changed because it made no sense.
- The strategy guide says Johnny Sindacco originally did not die, but went back into a coma.
- Originally, if Carl Johnson killed a pedestrian, a news van would arrive and the crew would report on the event.
- If Carl crashed into a lamp post a mechanic would arrive to fix it. If the player killed the mechanic the lamp post would remain broken for a time, even if the player left the immediate area.
- The Mulholland Safehouse seemed to have a full interior that can be seen from the outside. The change on final version causes a glitch which allows the player to go through the wall.
- Donut shops such as Rusty Brown's Ring Donuts were places where Carl Johnson could eat.
- San Fierro in the beta had very few docks and more parks. The beta map of San Fierro was very detailed and can be seen in Driving School.
- There were cars driving around San Andreas's car parks. Some of the cars may park as well.
- The construction yard near the hospital in Downtown Los Santos had a crane.
- The Easter Basin Naval Base has a different outline, it had a dock and the ship is missing.
- San Andreas was much bigger and had several different land masses, such as a larger San Fierro (which resembled San Francisco more closely), A full beta map of San Andreas can be found on a wall in the Lil' Probe'Inn and in Mike Toreno's Ranch.
- Santa Flora Medical Center had 2 helipads on its roof. These pads were most likely meant for the Maverick and Raindance that spawn there in the alpha. Oddly enough, these helipads were absent in the alpha, so the choppers simply spawned on the roof.
- The Clown's Pocket casino was originally called The Ringmaster, its original name can still be seen on the paper map included inside the game box.
- Hardware Stores was originally included in-games, and you can buy tools (like in GTA Vice City).
- Pharmacies from Vice City were originally included where you can buy health and adrenaline.
- The village of Bayside didn't exist in the beta version.
- The village of Dillimore was smaller in the beta version.
- The Hunter Quarry was smaller in the beta version.
- Some roads present in the Red County beta are absent in the final version.
- According to the beta map, there was a small island in San Fierro bay which was most likely based on Alcatraz.
- The Skateboard was cut from the final game (its icon is still on the disk, and it can still be used but only as a weapon).
- Strategy guides and other prints speak of a Gun Cane available alongside the Cane. The Gun Cane does not appear anywhere in the game.
- The Parachute was originally smaller and blue (it can be seen in the demonstration video in Flight School showing how to control parachute).
- According to some early previews of the game, 150 weapons where originally included in-game.
- Another Rocket Launcher called "M47 dragon" was cut, its files can be found only in the PS2 version.
- A sniper rifle named "M82" was cut.
- The grenade launcher was cut again.
- Two machine guns named "M249 SAW" and "M60" was cut, its files can be found only in the PS2 version.
- The Micro-SMG was removed, it can be seen in early screenshots of the game.
- The Parachute icon was originally a bit different.
- The AK-47 icon was originally different.
- The Jetpack and the mobile/cell phone originally had icons on the HUD like the other weapons.
- The machete was removed from the game, but the remaining files can be found in the original PS2 version.
- The Laser was cut. It was most likely an upgrade for a weapon, but it could have been a weapon itself.
- The Smokecan was cut.
- The PSG-1, MP5-K,M16 and Nail Bat were cut. Models exist in the PC version, but has a strange camo-type texture.
- The game's engine was originally going to be identical to the Vice City engine, until it was improved in the final version.
- Animals that would roam the rural areas were cut. Their models are still available in the game's files, albeit without AI present.
- Originally, there were over 300 gang territories to be taken over all over the map.
- The ability to create and run your own casino was taken out after the alpha version.
- Usable car-washes, similar to those in GTA IV, were cut.
- The ability to ride the trolleys in San Fierro was cut.
- It was possible to hear many vague sounds from your car if it was broken. These sounds can be hear from Rockstar games's beta gameplay video or some of the trailers.
- You can also hear many minor sounds included in beta release which are useless in the final game, but these files are still in GENRL file and can be moddable with mod tools.
- The mobster who Carl kills in Saint Mark's was originally going to be called Marco Forelli but due to deleted audio, his name was never mentioned in the final version.
- The Grove Street Families were originally going to be called The Orange Grove Families. Some graffiti seen in the game supports this, as some graffiti reads "OGF."
- Pedestrians would walk into and out of accessible places like stores, clubs, etc. And GSF members would walk into and out of / hang out in your safehouses.
- Pool tables were originally going to be colored green instead of blue.
- The motor bikers had a different design.
- Carl Johnson would be able to use drugs, which would make the camera wobble around making it more difficult to control CJ.
- The ability to drink beer was cut from the final version.
- Through the hidden interiors universe, unused brothels can be found, these were most likely to be placed on top of Strip Clubs.
- Pre-release magazine articles showed that stealing cars was to be much more difficult. In early screen shots, car jacking was shown to involve smashing the car's window and then hot wiring it. This was all removed, possibly due to the limitations posed by the PS2. A similar system is present in GTA IV.
- The ability to rob stores (like in GTA Vice City) such as 24/7 was removed.
- The ability to put many way points on the map was removed at the very end of the development. In the final version, only one way point can be placed on the map at a time.
- According to the strategy guide, adrenaline was in the beta version. It is not found in the final release of the game, however, its effects can still be activated via the use of a cheat code.
- According to a picture from the strategy guide, there was originally a pool table inside Madd Dogg's Mansion.
- According to Rockstar Games, the game was made on 2 DVDs, that's why many things were deleted when they put the game in one DVD.
- According to american.gxt, there was several phone call and lines which where cut.
- According to gta3.img, There are several more items of clothing available at the clothes stores, including t-shirts, trousers, caps and more - these were all in the game but not used.
- It's possible that pedestrians were originally to be injured like in GTA IV, as Hazer is shown injured similar to GTA IV in Los Desperados. This was most likely removed because of the technical limitations of RenderWare, the game's graphics engine.
- The San Fierro Rifa and Mafia originally had gang tags and their turf could be taken over.
- Occasionally CJ will shout out "die Skinhead dicks!", implying that there was going to be a white supremacist gang that of course was at war with the Grove Street Families and possibly to protest against a a racist video game released years before San Andreas as was with the Skinz in Manhunt.
- The beach ball minigame from Grand Theft Auto: Vice City was cut. The beach balls were most likely found on the beach or near pool (much like in GTA Vice City). The remaining files can be found in the original PS2 version of the game.
- Originally, the player would able to buy and sell drugs. The remaining files can be found in the original PS2 version of the game.
- Originally, the player would have been able to open bank vaults with the left analog stick (much like in Saints Row). The remaining files can be found in the original PS2 version.
- Sharks in the water were cut.
- Online multiplayer was originally planned for the PS2. The following information can be found in a file on the game disk: NETWORK PLAY SELECT CONFIGURATION HOST GAME JOIN GAME PROTOCOL: HARDWARE: ISP NAME:
- Originally, some of the Grove Street Families members wore hoodies.