| This article needs expanding. Please help by adding some relevant content.
This article needs information about statistics in other GTA games (e.g. GTA 2 or GTA IV).
Alternatively, a set of similar articles for other GTA games can be created.
Statistics are used in GTA III Era games to indicate progression in certain areas, or to enumerate certain activities -- for example, a "Longest wheelie" statistic will measure how long a player has sustained a wheelie on a motorcycle; "Packages collected" counts how many Hidden Packages a player has acquired; "Hospital visits" counts how many times a player has been Wasted on their current playthrough, etc.
Many of these statistics are also present in older GTA games, but they are not detailed here.
Rather than recording progress or activities, these statistics are displayed onscreen during gameplay in the Heads Up Display (HUD), to give the player a greater awareness of the protagonist's condition and situation.
- Health - Health indicates the player's condition, and as such, is reduced by sustaining injuries. When the player's health is depleted, they are Wasted, which results in mission failure, and the player being sent to hospital to be revived. Health can be regained by eating food, saving, or picking up a health "power-up" or first-aid kit.
- Armor - Armor counts as an extra "layer" of health; it can be acquired via an Armor pickup, purchased at an Ammu-Nation store, or, in some games, acquired by entering the Police Enforcer. The exact abilities of Armor vary from game to game -- generally, Armor will absorb all gunfire and explosive damage until it is entirely depleted; damage from falls and vehicle impacts may deplete Armor, or may leave Armor intact and deplete Health. In Vice City, shotgun attacks can reduce health as well as depleting armor.
- Wanted Level - The Wanted Level indicates the level of police interest in the player. If the player commits serious crimes (and the police are aware of them), it will indicate the extent of the crimes, and how much force Police will employ in capturing (or killing) the player. If the police catch the player, he or she will be Busted.
GTA SA Statistics
GTA San Andreas has a number of additional statistics, viewable either by holding the 'status' button or key, or via the Main Menu. These reflect CJ's physique, physical abilities and expertise; unlike in other GTA games, these change according to the player's actions.
- Fat - This statistic measures CJ's body fat. Fat is increased by eating food. Fat is decreased by exercising, either at a gym or in the world at large. Being overweight naturally changes CJ's appearance, and eventually lessens most physical capabilities (including health) and possibly lead to random heart attacks (that can kill CJ), but CJ is required to have at least a small amount of fat - without it, exercising will reduce CJ's health instead of his fat.
- Food is available at Well Stacked Pizza Co., Cluckin' Bell, and Burger Shot, and their meals will add either 0, 1, 2, or 3% to CJ's Fat level.
- For every 150 seconds of running, or every 100 seconds of biking or swimming, CJ will shed 1.5% fat. At a gym, this is much faster - on the treadmill or stationary bike, CJ will shed 2.5% fat every 14 seconds. When lifting weights, CJ will shed 2.5% fat for each repetition. Also, if the player waits 48 ingame hours without eating, CJ will shed fat at a rate of 2.5% per in-game hour. If the player has no more fat to shed, the hunger will start hampering muscle instead.
- Muscle - This indicates CJ's muscular development. Muscle influences the Respect and Sex Appeal stats. Muscle is increased by working out at a gym, or otherwise exercising (running, riding bikes, swimming). A 100% muscle statistic is detrimental to Sex appeal and will prevent CJ from initiating contact with some girlfriends
- Using the treadmill or stationary bike at a gym for 14 seconds will gain 1% muscle. Lifting weights will gain 1% muscle for each repetition. 150 seconds of running in-game, or 100 seconds of swimming or biking, will cause CJ to gain 1% muscle.
- Respect - Respect indicates CJ's level of influence in the Grove Street Families. Having high enough Respect allows CJ to recruit gang members. Many missions increase Respect when completed, as do successful Gang Wars. Respect is lost by not wearing gang colors in gang territory. CJ will also lose respect if he kills members of his gang, or loses territory to other gangs.
- Sex Appeal - This statistic indicates how girls will react to CJ. It is influenced by CJ's Vehicle, Hairstyle, Clothing, Fat, and Muscle. Collecting all 50 Oysters can prevent some of the pitfalls of low Sex Appeal (girlfriends being dissatisfied with CJ's appearance, or potential girlfriends not wanting to talk to CJ)
- Stamina - The Stamina statistic indicates endurance with regards to running, swimming, and cycling. Low stamina means CJ will grow fatigued easily and stop sprinting after short distances. Stamina has to be built up over the course of the entire game by exercising. In GTA: Vice City Stories, a stamina bar also exists whenever the player is in the water. If it runs out, the player will drown.
- For every 150 seconds of swimming, or every 300 seconds for running or biking, CJ will gain 5% Stamina. At the Gyms, the treadmill and stationary bike will grant CJ 4% Stamina for every 14 seconds.
- Lung Capacity - Oxygen represents how long CJ can hold his breath underwater. An oxygen meter is displayed whenever CJ dives underwater. Lung capacity is increased by swimming underwater for extended periods, and by collecting Oysters.