| This is a record of a successful nomination to become Staff.
Please do not edit the nomination, questions or comments sections of this page. Discuss on the talk page if neccessary.
User:ZS has been nominated to become a Moderator. I am nominating him because he has a large number of edits, and seems to understand this wiki well. I would like to see his responses to these questions (and other members' opinions) before deciding whether he should be staff. Gboyers talk 19:03, 28 June 2009 (UTC)
- ZS, please reply with whether you accept or decline this nomination, and why. If you accept, please answer the questions below.
- Sure, I'll accept the nomination. It could prove to be be beneficial to this wiki. - ZS 13:25, 1 July 2009 (UTC)
- Any user may ask a question here for the candidate to answer. Feel free to add extra questions based on their replies.
What do you think is the hardest thing for new editors to get the hang of (whether a technical skill, a policy or just the way we do things here); how would you spot they were having difficulty; and how would you help them? Maybe explain what was the hardest thing you've had to learn whilst being here? Gboyers talk 15:16, 2 March 2015
- One has to assume that most new editors may not have been exposed to other wikis prior, so they may have neither the know-how of wiki editing, nor an understanding of standards in wiki. Fine and well, give the editor some advice and starter guides, and they should improve and become a productive member of this wiki.
- It's also common to encounter writing that could be better, suggesting that certain editors may not have a strong command of language (either because they are still insufficiently educated, or they are not native English speakers); in cases like these, the best course of action is to copyedit the hell out of the text (if you can make out what the writing actually means), because it's not always beneficial to advice said editors on language.
- My experience with Wikipedia certainly isn't entirely compatible with this wiki. With a different wiki comes different policies and guidelines, which result in some degree of confusion, particularly with the issue of article titles (capitalization and use of bracketed disambiguation). I'll adapt, but I'm still committed to supply some opinions with regards to minor issues such as the aforementioned standards for titles. - ZS 13:22, 1 July 2009 (UTC)
Becoming staff isn't a reward for good edits, it's a job and a respoinsibility. How do you feel you could help us, and why should we promote you to become a Moderator? Gboyers talk 15:16, 2 March 2015
- My primary contributions are concentrated on the ground, performing actual edits on articles, setting standards on layouts (using standardized sections and tables), article naming, image uploads and management. I'm not too fond being occupied with actual discussions on policies, especially with bad experience involving Wikipedia's messy policy making, but I can provide thoughts on any upcoming guidelines if I feel the need to comment on them. - ZS 13:22, 1 July 2009 (UTC)
- Images. Mostly images. Given I have a computer specially built to run GTA IV and knowledge on how to take these screenshots, I have the means to provide this wiki high-quality pictures from nearly all GTA games, except GTAA. Visual description of a topic, as is the quality of the images, are important, and lots of others images here are lacking in these regards. - ZS 13:22, 1 July 2009 (UTC)
Could you give one example of what you think is one of the best pages on this wiki, and a brief explanation of why you chose that. It should probably be an informational article, but you could use a list or category or similar if you explain why. Gboyers talk 15:16, 2 March 2015
- Communication. The article sufficiently covers aspects of equipment used for communication in all GTA games without bias in favor of newer, non-topdown based GTA games. In addition, specific images are provided for all known equipment, providing a mostly complete visualization of the topic. It's not perfect, but it's still one of the best articles around.
- Banshee, Stallion and Manana are good example of how a vehicle's page should be. Sections on specific topics are properly sorted, and sufficient images are included. Nearly all renditions are covered, although coverage on GTAA is not complete. Of course, I'll choose the layout of the article based on the length of the article. In some cases, when the page is too short, sections may not be required. But images are definitely mandatory. As mentioned, they're not perfect, but still very good. - ZS 13:22, 1 July 2009 (UTC)
- Not really. There isn't much left to say that isn't already mentioned. - ZS 13:22, 1 July 2009 (UTC)
You correctly identify most of the problems a new member has, so what would you have GTW do differently to help eliminate those problems, or stop the lack of skills being a problem? Simply providing detailed guides in a hidden help section isn't enough. Gboyers talk 14:40, 1 July 2009 (UTC)
You mention the "messy" policy making on Wikipedia. As you should be aware, policy on GTW is undemocratic, but people are more than welcome to submit suggestions and help us work on ideas, and we take a lot of comments made in the field. How would you change this to produce the "best" policies, keep everything consistent, and make policy accessible to uninterested members? Please don't take this as a jibe, but I genuinely think it would be better if more people were involved in this side of the wiki. Gboyers talk 14:40, 1 July 2009 (UTC)
- Any user may leave a comment here, which will be considered before the decision is made.
- I do agree that ZS is a good and usefull member of this wiki. I vote for promotion. Chimpso 11:58, 29 June 2009 (UTC)
- I'm happy to offer ZS a promotion directly to Administrator, as he has shown that he understands the sensitive issues that administrators are exposed to, he has demonstrated useful tasks he would use with those tools, and his commitment to this project shows he can be trusted with them. If this doesn't work, we can think about it again, but I wish him the best of luck! Gboyers talk 18:17, 1 July 2009 (UTC)
- This section is for any user to formally list whether they are in favour of this promotion or not. Simply sign your name on a bullet point, add any comments into the comments section. This is NOT a vote, but the results will be taken into consideration by the Managers. Remember, this is not whether you like the user, but whether they would be a good member of staff.
Users in support of this promotion:
Users not in support of this promotion: