The Humboldt River is a body of water in Liberty City which separates Algonquin Island from Broker, Dukes and Bohan, with Charge Island and Colony Island located on the river. It is named after the explorer Horatio Humboldt.
The river is implied by the documentary "A History of Liberty City" to be heavily polluted before even the establishment of the city itself, due to the natives using it effectively as a sewer.
- Its real life counterpart is the real life Hudson River, as the main and bigger river in New York. Its location is based on the East River.
- In Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, the protagonist, Huang Lee, is left for dead at the bottom of the river.
- Niko Bellic executes Vladimir Glebov and disposes of his body in the Humboldt river during the mission Uncle Vlad.
- Patrick McReary talks about dumping victims into the Humboldt in Undertaker, with Derrick or Francis's body.
- Johnny Klebitz says the same thing in the mission Roman's Holiday, stating " I've seen some of the bodies you guys drop in the Humboldt " to the Russians.