Merryweather Security Consulting
|Merryweather Security Consulting|
Merryweather mercenaries guarding a Titan in GTA Online
GTA V |
|Type of business||
Civilian security contractor|
Private military contractor
Don Percival (founder/CEO)|
Devin Weston (minority shareholder)
|Gang affiliation||Devin Weston|
Merryweather Security Consulting is a civilian security firm and private military contractor in Los Santos in Grand Theft Auto V and Grand Theft Auto Online. In GTA V, the company serves as a major antagonistic faction due to its ownership by Devin Weston, one of the two main antagonists.
|Spoiler Warning: Plot and/or ending details are in the text which follows.|
Merryweather provides civilian security services to private companies and public sector entities, such as the Port of Los Santos; however, the more visible division of Merryweather is its private military operations. Sometime prior to events of GTA Online, Merryweather received authorization by the federal government to operate on American soil for both civilian and military operations, despite numerous allegations of human rights violations by its military operations. Around the start of GTA V, Weston acquires an 11% stake in the company.
The company suffers several setbacks due to the actions of Trevor Philips, Michael De Santa, and Franklin Clinton. The protagonists manage to steal a nuclear device from them, hijack a cargo plane containing weapons, and derail one of their courier trains containing valuable artwork. When the protagonists rob the Union Depository, several squads of Merryweather mercenaries are killed in their attempt to stop the protagonists.
At times, Weston employs the mercenaries for his personal use. At the premiere of Michael's film Meltdown, Weston sends a squad to Michael's mansion to murder his wife and daughter as revenge for not pulling the plug on the film and accidentally killing Weston's legal counsel Molly Schultz in the process; however Michael successfully thwarts the attack. Weston later sends several squads to kill Michael and FIB Agent Dave Norton at the Kortz Center. Both Michael and Agent Norton manage to survive the Kortz Center attack with the assistance of Trevor. If the player decides to assassinate Weston, Lester Crest contacts Weston, telling him that the gold from the UD heist is being smelted at a foundry in Cypress Flats. Weston sends several squads of Merryweather mercenaries, where they are all wiped out by the protagonists. Anticipating that the protagonists will come and kill him, Weston has several soldiers guard his estate, where they are all killed by Trevor, and Weston is kidnapped and later killed by Trevor, Michael, and Franklin.
By the end of GTA V, Merryweather's license to operate in the United States is revoked after several unrecoverable public relations disasters cause the loss of multiple civilian and government contracts, especially from the United States government. If the player kills Weston, company founder Don Percival buys out his shares at cost, becoming the new majority shareholder. Percival e-mails the protagonists, thanking them for killing Weston and that he will turn a blind eye to the protagonists' actions provide they leave Merryweather and its interests alone.
- Karin Dilettante (civilian)
- Canis Mesa (off-road version, military)
- Buzzard attack helicopter (military)
- Cargo Plane (military)
- GTA V
- Scouting the Port
- The Merryweather Heist
- Minor Turbulence
- The Big Score
- The Third Way
- Merryweather is likely based on Blackwater Security Consulting, the world's largest private military company. Founder Erik Prince sold the company in 2010 to a group lead by his own investment banker Jason DeYonker, similar to Weston's intentions of buying out Percival.
- Despite losing their license to operate on American soil, civilian Merryweather patrol cars can still be seen in certain areas after the end of GTA V.
- The player can invest in Merryweather stock on the Liberty City National exchange; however, due to the protagonists' actions over the course of the game, it is not advisable to invest a significant amount of money in the company. Also, despite losing their US operations, Merryweather stock can still be traded on the LCN.