Talk:Market, Los Santos
| This talk page is for discussing the Market, Los Santos article.
This includes commenting on the article, questioning whether it is correct, or adding suggestions for improvements
Questions about GTA games, not about the wiki page itself, should be asked at Community:Questions.Remember to always add your signature to the end of your comments/replies using four tildes:
Market (GTA SA)?
This applies to Marina too, as both vicinities had the same name in GTA 1 and GTA: San Andreas would it make any sense if this page was renamed to Market (GTA SA)? This would avoid confusion between the two different vicinities and it unfortunately confused me initialy. Hence I created two pages named Market (GTA 1) and Marina (GTA 1). Any ideas regarding my suggestion would be appreciated, thanks! :)
- Denoting each rendition of a district by game is the most efficient categorization, since each name's meaning tends to be confined within their respectable games; this naming system works a lot better than the ", Los Santos" suffix. I'm for using the "?? (GTA SA)" and "?? (GTA V)" suffixes for the same reason. - ZS (talk|edits) 19:20, 16 November 2012 (UTC)
I posted a suggestion to the Marina talk page that would work here too, and that is to follow the logic of the Chinatown pages and name it "Market, Los Santos" --IanPhoenix (talk) 05:46, 13 December 2011 (UTC)
- Our standard naming convention is "XYZ in GTA San Andreas" - I'd suggest that be applied. gboyers talk 20:06, 16 November 2012 (UTC)
- Using that format denotes that the article revolves around one game. What about a rendition of a location that appears in more than one game? Using more simple parenthesis naming allows for ambiguity, implying a location as set by the mentioned game and reused in other games, allowing changes made to that rendition of the city in other games to fall into the article's coverage. "Era" naming is becoming pointless, not only because it's not an official term (among others), but also because it now only strongly applies to games set within GTA3 canon and has very limited use in GTA1 games, GTA4's "Liberty City" continuity, and GTA5 (which would have to fall under "GTA IV era" if the same standards are applied to the "GTA III era" games). - ZS (talk|edits) 20:18, 16 November 2012 (UTC)
- I was being very brief with that comment. I simply meant that where the title cannot just be "X", our convention is "X in Y" - where Y is either one game or (for multiple games) the era. This is our convention for everything other than certain locations (which often use this existing comma format).
- I actually think the comma format works well to an extent, but we would need to determine exactly when it should be used. For example, areas like Downtown can appear across several games in an era, and even the title of "Market in GTA III Era" is not very clear that it's referring to a district of one city. We could use "Market, Los Santos in GTA III Era" but that is getting a bit long. There are lots of options here, so I've started Community:Discussions/Location Naming to discuss formalising this proposal in a central discussion. Please read it and comment on the talk page! gboyers talk 22:09, 16 November 2012 (UTC)
- Future comments on this subject should be placed at: Community talk:Discussions/Location Naming