| This talk page is for discussing the Help article.
This includes commenting on the article, questioning whether it is correct, or adding suggestions for improvements
Questions about GTA games, not about the wiki page itself, should be asked at Community:Questions.Remember to always add your signature to the end of your comments/replies using four tildes:
edit not appearing
I edited the multiplayer/gripe page more than 24 hours ago and it confirms that I edited it on August 23rd, 2010 ... but it doesn't show up on the page. I assume that I did something wrong, but it's telling me I edited it and if I click on my name, it shows what I wrote under my profile, but not on the actual page for everyone to see.
Do you think it would be good idea to make article about quotes? Because I am looking all over the internet to find all the things that pilots in police helicopter say an some funny radio comercials...
How do I add pictures to a page.
- You kept using the .PNG extension instead of .JPG. Please add your signature with four tildes (~~~~) next time when you add something in talk pages.--spaceeinstein 08:39, 3 December 2010 (UTC)
Can't log in
I can't log in with my account (User:Madárijesztő) so I had to create this new temporary (User:Ideiglenes) account. I think the problem is with the non-english characters (the Hungarian á and ű). I get this message when I want to log in:
A database error has occurred. Did you forget to run maintenance/update.php after upgrading? See: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Upgrading#Run_the_update_script Query: SELECT gu_id, lu_wiki, gu_salt, gu_password,gu_auth_token, gu_locked,gu_hidden, gu_registration, gu_email, gu_email_authenticated, gu_home_db FROM `globaluser` LEFT OUTER JOIN `localuser` ON gu_name=lu_name AND lu_wiki='gtw_wiki' WHERE gu_name='Madárijesztő' Function: DatabaseBase::safeQuery Error: 1267 Illegal mix of collations (latin1_bin,IMPLICIT) and (utf8_general_ci,COERCIBLE) for operation '=' (localhost)
Until April/May (I can't remember, maybe earlier) I was able to log in and I thougth the problem is with the wiki but now I know my account doesn't work (I haven't visited this wiki for months).
What should I do? User:Ideiglenes 11:49, 18 July 2011 (BST)
Additionally, these are my contributions: http://www.grandtheftwiki.com/Special:Contributions/Anonymous. It shows anonymous instead of Madárijesztő. User:Ideiglenes 12:05, 18 July 2011 (BST)
- Alright, I'll see if I can get your user renamed. Gboyers 12:37, 18 July 2011 (BST)
Aditionally, I have created maps for GTA 1 weapon locations, because listing them would take much space and they wouldn't be so specific. Should I place a caption on it (grandtheftwiki.com)? Smahlt 12:39, 4 August 2011 (BST)
- All images should be without the black 'letterboxing', unless the subtitle is the thing you specifically need to show. If you create a useful image that you think other sites will steal, feel free to add a Grand Theft Wiki caption to the bottom. You can even add our logo from Category:Grand_Theft_Wiki. Just remember that it will be licensed under CC-BY-SA, so other sites CAN use it so long as they link to us. gboyers talk 18:08, 4 August 2011 (BST)
Revamping Help Page
I am planning on making a large change to the whole help page. Right now I think finding the help page you need can be a little daunting, so I was planning on making sub-categories on the main help page to narrow down searching, in a similar fashion to wp:Help:Contents. I was thinking of doing this in the future though, as right now we don't have too many help pages. As Grand Theft Wiki is for obvious reasons smaller in terms of diverse information and number of people than Wikipedia, maybe we should just leave it as it is? Maybe it is nice to keep it small and simple for this site.--Montario (talk|edits) 20:40, 25 April 2012 (UTC)
- I agree this is a little messy. I think the simplest answer is just to make a table of help pages, organised by type, to help people find the one they need. This should be better for us than splitting it into categories. We'll just have to occasionally check that all the help pages are listed on here. I might be able to code up something that runs that check for us! I'll draft up a version of that table which you can play around with. gboyers talk 07:23, 26 April 2012 (UTC)
- Okay so I've added in the table, which should help. However, I'm not entirely happy with it yet. These pages have evolved separately over the past 6 years, in very different styles and with different goals. I think we need more pages like Help:Basics which are aimed at user questions and goals, rather than pages like Help:Articles which nobody would really choose to read. Pages like Help:Articles also seem to contain quite random and specific pieces of content and aren't well-rounded help pages. So I have 4 goals:
- Introduce more starting/introduction pages, things that users will want and seek to read (those can then link to specific pages such as create / categories / images etc)
- Better linking to specific help pages from all over the wiki (like template / categories - these should show up when viewing/editing all template/category pages)
- Separate help pages from policy pages (so have a Help:Copyright which should be different to the legalese policy wordings on Grand Theft Wiki: Copyright)
- More help for how the wiki's backend works (user profiles, user counts) and how the wiki's administration works
- Does that all seem good to you? gboyers talk 08:09, 26 April 2012 (UTC)
- I really like the idea, I now agree we don't need the categories as they are unnecessary at this point. We would be creating new pages linking to those narrowed down help pages which would be senseless and complicated.
- Yes, most pages will definitely need revamping; some are of little use and have inflicting information with other help pages. I suggest that they should all be written in the same style to avoid confusion and improve consistency? Are you saying you think that we could use topics from policy pages and create more 'help' friendly versions of them here also? I really like the idea of coding an automated system which ensures all newly created help pages will be listed in their respected type. What sort of introductory pages do you have in mind? Also, for your 2nd goal do you mean making help templates/categories which link its specific type in the table? (i.e "this is a help page documenting basic user guides on Grand Theft Wiki")?