Ocean View Hotel
Ocean View Hotel
|Appearances:||Grand Theft Auto: Vice City|
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories
|Name:||Ocean View Hotel|
|Type of Business:||Hotel|
|Location:||Ocean Beach, Vice City|
The Ocean View Hotel is a hotel on Ocean Drive in Ocean Beach, Vice City in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories. The hotel is most prominently featured in GTA Vice City as the player's first safehouse in the game.
Available from the start in GTA Vice City after "In the beginning...", the Ocean View Hotel is a green, white and yellow Art Deco hotel facing the eastern beachfront of Ocean Beach. The hotel boasts an interior (featured only in GTA Vice City) that includes a detailed lobby level, as well as the stairway and hallway leading upstairs to the Tommy Vercetti's suite. The lobby is styled in a dark Art Deco design, while the suite itself is quintessentially 1980s in design with artsy furnishing and light colors.
In GTA Vice City, the hotel serves various purposes:
- Basically, players can save games in the hotel; while the player is assumed to reside in the suite, the save point is actually located at the reception counter of the lobby.
- Players can change to their default "Street" clothing using a clothing icon inside the suite.
- Various weapons attained by collecting hidden packages will spawn along the hallway and within the hotel suite. These include body armor (10 packages), a chainsaw (20 packages), a Colt Python (30 packages), a flamethrower (40 packages), a PSG-1 laser scope sniper rifle (50 packages), a minigun (60 packages) and a rocket launcher (70 packages).
The hotel as a structure still exists in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories and is given a cosmetic refinement, as are with many Ocean Drive buildings in the game. However, the hotel lacks the "Ocean View" sign, and features green and yellow as its primary exterior colors.
The design of the hotel is partially influenced by The Clevelander Hotel in Miami. The in-game depiction simply widens the facade of the hotel, resulting in a hotel design that appears larger.
Items in Ocean Beach Hotel
In GTA Vice City, Tommy Vercetti's Ocean Beach suite will be filled with various memorabilia either available from the start or available after completion of a specific mission:
- Claude, the protagonist of Grand Theft Auto III, appears on a pop-art poster in the room.
- On the coffee table there are magazines with game art of Lance Vance and Ricardo Diaz.
- Upon completion of "The Party", a suit bag will be hanged in front of the dresser.
- Upon completion of "Rub Out", a broken hidden package will appear on the bar counter, revealing the package contains an unknown white powder.
- Upon completion of "The Shootist", a trophy will appear on top of the television.
- Upon completion of "The Job", a hockey mask will appear on the coffee table.
- Upon completion of "Hit the Courier", a duffel bag full of money appears on the bed.
- Upon completion of "G-Spotlight", two posters for Candy Suxxx's "movies" will appear on both sides of the Claude poster.
- Upon completion of Phil's mission "Boomshine Saigon", three barrels of boomshine will appear in a corner of the room, behind the bar.
Three barrels of Boomshine after "Boomshine Saigon".
The GTA III Claude and Candy Suxxx posters; the latter are acquired after "G-Spotlight".
The coffee table's magazines, as well as the hockey mask acquired after "The Job".
Money on the bed following "Hit the Courier".
The trophy following "The Shootist".
A broken hidden package after "Rub Out".
- Inside the hotel the chorus of the songs "La Vida Es Una Lenteja" by Unaesta and Tres Apenas Como Eso by Yo Te Mire constantly plays. These songs are also heard on the radio station Espantoso.
- An interior of Marco's Bistro featured in GTA Vice City's introduction is located within the hotel, but it is normally hidden from view.
- In GTA IV, there is a golf course located in Firefly Island where one of the holes has a scaled-down model of the Ocean View Hotel.