From Grand Theft Wiki
Events concerning the Grand Theft Auto series in 2001.
- Grand Theft Auto III is released for the PlayStation 2 on October 22, having a significant impact on future gaming and stirring up controversy.
- The Xbox is released in North America on November 15.
- The 9/11 attacks take place in the United States on September 11, 2001. The attacks were initiated by Islamic extremists from various countries in the Middle East united under the terrorist group Al Qaeda, led by Osama Bin Laden. Four planes were hijacked from major American airports, and rerouted into the two towers of the World Trade Center in New York City, another into the Pentagon in Washington, D.C. and another was put down in a field in Pennsylvania by brave passengers. The attacks led to a delay in the release of Grand Theft Auto III.
GTA III Era
- The events of Manhunt take place.
- The events of Grand Theft Auto III take place.
- Salvatore Leone is killed.
- Asuka Kasen and Miguel are killed by Catalina.
- Catalina is killed.
- Gardening with Maurice is canceled, as mentioned by Lazlow.
GTA IV Era
- Rudy D'Avanzo is arrested for hijacking and arson.
- Willy Valerio is arrested for possession of crack cocaine.
- Ashley Butler is arrested for possession of cocaine.
- Steven Jabowitz is arrested for fraud.
- Johnny Barbosa is arrested for grand larceny.
- Heathcliff Waterstreet is arrested for possession of methamphetamine.
- Cherise McCormic is arrested for possession of cocaine.
- Lazlow Jones is arrested for bribery.
- Dirty Sue, a member of The Lost Brotherhood, is killed in a motorcyle accident.