GTA Vice City|
GTA Liberty City Stories
|Full Name||Avery Carrington|
|Place of Birth||Texas|
|Date of Death||1998|
Donald Love (? - 1998) |
Tommy Vercetti (1986 - ?)
Vercetti Gang (1986 - ?)
Colombian Cartel (? - 1998)
|Voiced by||Burt Reynolds (GTA Vice City)|
- Avery' redirects here. For the construction company see Avery Construction. For his rival, see Avery Carrington's Rival.
Nothing brings down real estate prices like a good old fashioned gang war.
Avery to Tommy Vercetti.
Avery Carrington (? - 1998) is a character in the Grand Theft Auto series who appears as a major character in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (set in 1986) and a minor character in Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (set in 1998). A billboard of Avery Carrington also appears in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (set in 1992) and is mentioned on the Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories website. Carrington is an extreme capitalist property magnate and real estate mogul based in Vice City. He is voiced by Burt Reynolds.
Up to 1986
Avery Carrington was born and raised in Texas and later moved to Vice City, becoming, at some point, a successful property magnate and real estate mogul to his willingness to use any tactic (including gang warfare, arson, intimidation, murder and demolishing opponents buildings). Avery is heavily influenced by his father and takes on a protégé, Donald Love, passing on his knowledge, which Love would later use to his own advantage.
In 1986 he is financing the construction of a building in Vice Point and is one of Vice City's social elite, attending Colonel Juan Cortez' party. Carrington, however, faces problems from the Spand Express company, who refuse to sell their land, and another further advanced construction site opposite his own. Ken Rosenberg, a lawyer introduces Carrington to Tommy Vercetti, who helps to Spand Express by causing a riot and destroying three Spand Express vans. Carrington, impressed with Vercetti's ability, later hires him to murder a man who refuses to sell some land to Carrington and to structurally weaken the construction site located opposite his own. Carrington continues with his business before asking Vercetti for help again, this time having him spark a gang war between the Cubans and the Haitians in order to drive down property prices, and later gives Vercetti advice in how to build his criminal empire in the city following the death of drug baron Ricardo Diaz.
Avery Carrington continued to expand his business, appearing on a neon sign in Las Venturas, San Andreas in 1992. He continues in his work and in 1998 he flies to Francis International Airport to meet with the Colombian Cartel to discuss plans to develop the Fort Staunton area of Staunton Island, Liberty City. Carrington's old protégé, Donald Love, hears of his impending return and hires Toni Cipriani to kill Carrington to acquire his real estate plans, as the Panlantic Corporation who do 'anything to get prime real estate'. Toni Cipriani later steals Carrington's body for Love, who eats the body on his flight away from Liberty City.
- GTA Vice City
- GTA Liberty City Stories
- Texan property magnate and real estate developer.
- Likes to talk about his father. The good old days.
- Extreme Capitalist.
- Suspected of doing anything to manipulate property prices and land value, including, but not limited to, arson, rioting, bribery, intimidation, murder.
- Always wears cowboy hat.
- Believed to be involved in several developments and slum-clearance programs.
- Known guest of Cortez.
- Uses Ken Rosenberg for legal advice - possible weak link?
- Hair suspected to be fake.
- Avery Carrington wears a wig, as hinted on the Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories website, in the mission Morgue Party Resurrection in Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories and in the mission Riot in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.
- Avery Carrington may also have been involved with the company Avery Construction, a property development company working in Blueberry, Red County, San Andreas.
- He owns the Shady Acres company and its advertisement can be heard on Emotion 98.3.
- He doesn't seem to have aged from 1986 (GTA Vice City) to 1998 (GTA Liberty City Stories), although Donald Love states that he has aged very much since they last met.
- On Rockstar North's website, a concept art shows that Avery's nickname is Tex. It is a reference to the famous animator/cartoon director Tex Avery. Both of them were born in Texas however it is never used or mentioned in GTA Vice City, except in game files.
- Deleted phone call dialogue suggests Tommy was originally supposed to get another phone call, possibly with another mission. It never made it into the final game for unknown reasons.
- Vice City Crime Tree. Rockstar Games. official GTA Vice City website
- Avery Character Sketch 01. Rockstar North. official Rockstar North website
- From american.gxt:
On the phone
Avery Carrington: Hey Tommy, it's Avery! Now listen, I got me all tied up at the moment and I have a representative of mine needs chaperoning out to the Gator Keys. I'm after some land out that way, so I'm sending someone out to sweeten the deal. Could you do me a favor and make sure he gets there ok?
Tommy Vercetti: Yeah, sure thing Avery. Where'd you want me to pick him up?
Avery Carrington: He's just finishing some business at the building site. I said you'd pick him up from there.
Tommy Vercetti: No problem. See you later, Avery.