An archive file is a file that is composed of one or more files along with metadata, such as file names, sizes and offsets within the archive. They are used for faster access to file contents by game, as well as compression (in some cases) to reduce space on the storage medium. GTA makes use of various archive file formats for different purposes.
GTA III, GTA Vice City, and GTA San Andreas
- IMG archives are used for all game assets except audio
- SFX files and various audio streams
- COL files are archives of various collision models
- IFP files containing animations
- TXD files containing textures
|Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts.|
See Grand Theft Wiki:Copyright for more information.