Carl Johnson demanding information about his family at the ranch in Tierra Robada.
|Game||GTA San Andreas|
|For||A mysterious entity|
|Location||Tierra Robada, Bone County|
|Reward||Depending on time|
|Unlocked by||Yay Ka-Boom-Boom|
Monster is a mission in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, given to protagonist Carl "CJ" Johnson by a mysterious entity from a ranch in Tierra Robada, San Andreas.
Carl is welcomed by a mysterious man with an unknown voice, who apparently knows a thing or two about his family. The voice says that Carl needs to impress him and let him see what Carl is made of. He instructs Carl to take a monster truck out for a drive. Carl talks to this person who instructs him what to specifically do. He also tells Carl about the monster truck, and how to handle it. After that small talk, Carl traverses Tierra Robada in the monster truck, passing through all thirty-five markers and returning back to the ranch in less than six and a half minutes. Carl is then rewarded with money depending on his time and position.
Voice: Carl, darling, welcome.
CJ: Some fucking welcome, man. What you know about my family?
Voice: Now first we need to see what you're made of.
CJ: What do I look like I'm made of? Pudding?
Voice: No - anger, and hate. And that's what I like about you. There's a truck in the garage. What say, we take it for a spin!
(Carl is talking with a guy, probably a representative of the mysterious entity.)
Guy: Here's the deal, this is all about speed and commitment. You got a GPS in the cab. Get to each set of map coordinates as quick as you can. Make it to all the coordinates then get the truck back here. Lose the truck and you fail.
CJ: First, what's a GPS? Second, fail what? And third, who the fuck are you?
Guy: Sorry, need-to-know basis only! Oh, one more thing, this baby's got four-wheel steering instead of a handbrake. Good luck!
(After Carl gets back, the representative reports to him.)
Guy: (for 1st position) Alright, boss was right about you. (for 2nd position) Pretty good for a ghetto boy. (for 3rd position) Not bad at all! You seem "semi-hard". (for 4th position) Seem to be a matter of luck. (for 5th position) That was right at the skin of your teeth! (in all cases) Boss will be in touch.
The reward for completing the mission depends on the time position:
- $5,000 for 1st place, in 4:19 or less.
- $4,000 for 2nd place, between 4:20 and 4:59.
- $3,000 for 3rd place, between 5:00 and 5:29.
- $2,000 for 4th place, between 5:30 and 5:59.
- $1,000 for 5th place, between 6:00 and 6:29.
The mission "Highjack" is unlocked after a post-mission phone call from the same mysterious caller informing the player to meet him. The player can also keep the Monster.
- Carl does not know what a GPS is because in 1992, Global Positioning Systems were expensive and bulky military hardware found only on ships and planes. It would be about a decade or so before Garmin and other GPS manufacturers would start making GPS units for consumers.
- Since the post-mission phone call mentions "getting back to the ranch", it makes sense for Carl to alternate between the ranch and the Doherty Garage, so that there is also ample time to finish any other missions. Hence, the correct order of playing the Tierra Robada and Wang Cars mission strands would be:-
1. Monster ---- 2. Zeroing In ---- 3. Highjack ---- 4. Test Drive ---- 5. Interdiction ---- 6. Customs Fast Track
However, for doing so, it is important that the post-mission phone call be avoided till the time the player finishes Zeroing In.
Post-mission Phone Call
CJ: Who the fuck is this?
Unknown Voice: Son, get back to the ranch and I'll explain everything, and I mean, everything.
CJ: Can't you just tell me now? I guess not.
Carl Johnson speeds through the planned course on his Monster.
|PC Version - GTASeriesVideos|