Mike Toreno giving instructions to Carl Johnson.
|Game||GTA San Andreas|
|Location||Tierra Robada, San Andreas|
Carl arrives only to find Toreno needs a favor, but he just wants to know more about his incarcerated brother, Grove Street Families leader Sean "Sweet" Johnson. Toreno explains that he is in prison, up-state, and that he is fine. Toreno then reveals that corrupt C.R.A.S.H. officers Frank Tenpenny and Edward "Eddie" Pulaski had killed fellow Internal Affairs officer Ralph Pendelbury after he threatened to expose their operation. The moment this convinces Carl of Toreno's identity and promise, the latter then then goes on to explain the task - there is precious cargo that needs collecting.
Carl heads for Las Brujas, near El Castillo del Diablo. Once there, Toreno speaks to him through a speaker, and instructs him a few things. Carl then picks up a rocket launcher and chooses a vehicle to climb up Arco del Oeste. Once atop Arco del Oeste, Carl lights up a flare to signal the contraband helicopter. The helicopter heads for Arco del Oeste, but are ambushed by agency choppers. Carl then uses the rocket launcher to shoot down the agency helicopters, protecting the contraband chopper and the package. Afterwards, the helicopter drops the contraband north of Verdant Meadows. Carl picks it up, and heads for a garage in Las Brujas.
Toreno: Roger that, Big Monkey, I got a 13-6 fat vulture. Need to acquire a drowning baby. Over. (signals Carl, who arrives, to stop) In 15 by the moon. Break your heart. Over and out. (hangs up and turns to Carl) Carl. I need you to do me a favor...
CJ: Yeah, I'll do you a proper injury, man. What you knowin' about my brother?
Toreno: Relax. He's in prison up state. D Wing. Cell 13. To the left I got a child killer, who wants to rip his throat up. To the right of him I got a white supremacist, who wants to eat his heart, to be precise. Now don't worry. Tenpenny and Pulaski are really relatively benign. Unless of course you're a family member of Officer Pendelbury whom they shot when they he threatened to expose them. But, you do know all about that, right?
CJ: Damn. Hey, man, how you know all this stuff, man, and why don't you stop it?
Toreno: You just don't understand, do you, kid. Its all white knights and heroes. We have to make decisions, kid. You know, I try to set bad people on other bad people. And sometimes, I let good guys die. He's your brother, but to me, he's just collateral. It's a very delicate decision. Over here, you got all the scumbags inside the country, and over here, you got all the scumbags outside the country. And me and my colleagues, we're the fucking pivot. Keep the government in work. Which reminds me, come here... I need you to head over HERE in the buggy outside. Okay, okay, let off a flare. We got some precious cargo needs collecting.
CJ: Hey, hold up. What about my brother and all that shit you was talking about?
Toreno: Hey, hey, don't worry - Sweet's just fine. He gets touched, a prison guard goes home and finds that his wife and kids have been murdered. Everything's under control. We'll talk later. Now, come on, get outta here.
(Carl arrives at Las Brujas.)
Toreno: Jesus, what took you?
CJ: Toreno! Where you at?!
Toreno: Miles away. No time for niceties, kid. Choose a vehicle, grab the equipment I provided, get to that drop zone, and wait for that package.
(Once Carl lights the flare, Toreno communicates with Carl atop Arco del Oeste.)
Toreno: That's our cargo arriving now!
CJ: Jesus! Will you stop the doing that?
Toreno: (as a Leviathan arrives only for two black Mavericks to emerge) Shit, pilot says he's got the trouble, two agency choppers coming on an intercept. Can you see them?
Toreno: Shoot 'em down. Protect the cargo at all costs!
(Carl retrieves the contraband after taking out the choppers.)
Toreno: Okay, get the package back to Las Brujas.
CJ: Where are you? You givin' me the heebie jeebies, man!
Toreno: Carl, I will ALWAYS be watching...or listening...or both.
(Carl delivers the contraband to the hideout in Las Brujas.)
- Although Toreno mentions that Tenpenny and Pulaski killed Pendelbury, it was in fact C.R.A.S.H. recruit Jimmy Hernandez who killed him upon the behest of the duo, but during defection to Internal Affairs and the Feds, he did not name himself, since admitting he murdered an honest officer could bring his own life trouble. This is very much evident as a bone of contention for Tenpenny and Pulaski during finale C.R.A.S.H. missions Misappropriation and High Noon, wherein Hernandez is killed in the latter after Tenpenny learns of his betrayal. However, it isn't clear whether his other possible betrayal, that of his act of possibly exposing the C.R.A.S.H. involvement in Beverly Johnson's murder to Mexican-American Varrios Los Aztecas gang leader Cesar Vialpando, immediately after the shootout between the Families and the LSPD, is known to Tenpenny, since it was not visible when Cesar exposed Tenpenny and Pulaski to Carl. Quite possibly, according to a fan-made mission set at night between the two mission events, in which this could have happened, Hernandez asked Cesar to conceal the officer's identity from Carl while exposing the two.
- Toreno's assurance to Carl that "Sweet's just fine" makes a huge hint visible to the player - Tenpenny was simply using both Pulaski and Grove Street Families defaulter Melvin "Big Smoke" Harris for personal, selfish gains. This is evident during High Noon, where Carl tells Pulaski that Tenpenny would have "rubbed him out too", and during End of the Line, wherein Tenpenny steals Smoke's drug money, intending to use it to leave the city before rioters kill him. Once free, he did not care even a bit about the two, as he was simply wanting to use them to do his bidding.
- This is the first time since the post-mission phone calls after Carl's on-exile activity that Sweet is mentioned in any mission, provided Customs Fast Track has not been played beforehand. However, it is best to play Customs Fast Track after this mission, as a knowledge of Sweet's whereabouts is well-reflected when Carl mentions that he is "in a shitty situation". Hence, the correct order of playing the ranch and car business missions would be:-
- The unique black agent helicopters can be obtained by failing the mission and waiting for the chopper to land to tow it back to the Doherty garage, however the only thing unique about them is their black color. Oddly, the chopper still makes noises while you're towing it, and the agents are scared of Carl.
- An easter egg is visible in the mission - a journey driving up Arco del Oeste will contain an old man and a trick.
- Regardless of its status before reaching Arco del Oeste, the player's wanted level will be fixed at 2 stars during the blow-up of choppers.
Carl Johnson shoots down the enemy choppers.
|PC Version - GTASeriesVideos|