Rear quarter view)|
A Mr Whoopee in GTA III.
GTA III |
GTA Vice City
GTA San Andreas
GTA Liberty City Stories
GTA Vice City Stories
|Vehicle type||Ice cream van|
|Body style||2-door van|
The Mr Whoopee is an ice-cream van available in Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories. The Mr. Whoopee is a parody of Mister Softee. In every Grand Theft Auto game it looks slightly different, if it is from different headlights or a different body.
The Mr Whoopee is evidently designed as a vehicle based on a van or box truck. In GTA III and GTA Liberty City Stories, the Mr Whoopee has a unique, modern design (the headlights and grille resemble those of a 1986 Ford Transit); however, in GTA Vice City, GTA San Andreas and GTA Vice City Stories, it resembles a Boxville step van, similar in design but considerably smaller.
In most of its appearances, the decorations on top of the van serve as sexual references. In GTA Vice City and GTA Vice City Stories, it consists of two cherry-topped ice cream swirls resembling a large pair of breasts, while the rooftop decoration in GTA San Andreas, which encompasses an ice cream swirl with an ice cream bar jutting out, resembles the male genitalia. The GTA III and GTA Liberty City Stories renditions are exceptions, with only a single ice cream swirl and a chocolate bar.
One of the vehicle's special attributes is a musical jingle that can be toggled on or off with the horn button. The melody in GTA III and GTA Vice City is the same as that used by the Ice-Cream Van in Grand Theft Auto 2, but in GTA San Andreas, it is different. The melody is also the same for the renditions in GTA Liberty City Stories and GTA Vice City Stories.
A pre-release screenshot of the Mr. Whoopee in GTA III, with alternate colors.
GTA Vice City (Rear quarter view).
GTA San Andreas (Rear quarter view).
Due to its size, the Mr Whoopee is largely slow and suffers in steering and braking. In addition, the Boxville-style renditions are top heavy and is prone to rolling if not driven carefully. The van in GTA Liberty City Stories can also easily blow up after few collisions, thereby making it the weakest vehicle in the game.
Appearances in missions
- In GTA III, there's a mission called I Scream, You Scream in which you have to pick up a bomb, get a Mr. Whoopee, park it in a lot in Atlantic Quays, wait for the Forelli Family, and detonate the bomb.
- In GTA Vice City, the Mr. Whoopee has a mission called Distribution associated with it, in which the player uses a Mr. Whoopee truck as a front to sell an unspecified controlled substance to passing pedestrians. Four or more sales in a short time will earn the player a wanted star.
- In GTA Vice City, the Mr. Whoopee truck is among the vehicles on the third "wanted list" that appears on the lower level of Sunshine Autos once the player purchases that asset property.
- As the GTA San Andreas version of the truck does appear on rare occasions in traffic in beach areas of Los Santos, the driver is depicted as an obese ice cream man posing as clown. His appearance is made to be similar to pictorial depictions of the Mr. Whoopee clown on parts of the Mr. Whoopee truck.
- There is a way to obtain the Mr. Whoopee in GTA Liberty City Stories on both the PS2, and PSP. The player has to aim carefully at the head of the driver of the truck in the mission Scooter Shooter. When the driver falls out, the empty truck will remain where it is - only on rare occasions.
- In GTA San Andreas, the ice cream and its cones on the top of the vehicle are positioned to resemble a penis - another sexual joke by Rockstar.
- It's the rarest vehicle of GTA III. Finding it in traffic is difficult.
- The GTA San Andreas version of the Mr Whoopee is the only version to come with a functional horn.
- GTA III
- On rare occasions, it can be spotted driving around Chinatown, Portland View, Rockford and Cedar Grove. It is not parked anywhere in the game.
- During Vigilante and Firefighter missions.
- At the Import/Export garage, Portland Harbor, after all vehicles on the list have been delivered.
- Can be acquired if not detonated in I Scream, You Scream.
- GTA Vice City
- Cherry Popper Ice Cream Factory, Little Havana. The player must buy the factory to access the van. Entering the van starts the Distribution side-mission.
- During Vigilante missions.
- GTA San Andreas
- Spawns while driving a Perennial in Santa Maria Beach, Los Santos (Thursday specifically, but may appear other days).
- Can be found in urban areas such as Los Santos in sunny weather. The beach party cheat makes it very common.
- Can be found outside a rest stop, along with a Hotdog, in Las Payasadas.
- GTA Liberty City Stories
- Can be found in the "Scooter Shooter" mission acquired in Chinatown. It is rarely seen driving on the streets.
- GTA Vice City Stories
- Can be found at the fairgrounds in southern Vice Point.