Rear quarter view)|
A Buccaneer in GTA San Andreas.
GTA San Andreas|
GTA Chinatown Wars
|Also known as||Bucanneer (GTA IV)|
|Vehicle type||Civilian car|
|Body style||2-door coupe|
|Capacity||2 (driver and passenger)|
|Manufacturer||Albany (GTA IV)|
GTA San Andreas
The Buccaneer is based on a 1970-1972 Chevrolet Monte Carlo (probably the 1972 model, as it doesn't have turning signals on the bumper). Its design resembles that of the Picador, as both cars take inspiration from vehicles built upon the Chevelle platform. The Picador slightly outperforms the Buccaneer in acceleration and handling, but the Buccaneer has a higher top speed. The Buccaneer, along with the Tampa and the Manana, is a gang car of the Da Nang Boys.
GTA IV — GTA Chinatown Wars
The Albany "Bucanneer" in GTA IV still broadly draws inspiration from the 1970-1972 Monte Carlo (but it has lost much of its fastback profile and has exaggerated proportions), but is also influenced by other vehicles — the front end looks closer to that of the 1974 Chevrolet Caprice and even more so 1974 Cadillacs because of the hood ornament. The Bucanneer is a fairly heavy car, needing a V8 to lug around its portly weight, however its cornering is acceptable at low speeds. Its top speed is about 145 km/h (90 mph). The name "Bucanneer", seen when the player enters the vehicle, is clearly a typographical error — the name is spelled correctly on the rear of the car, in Stevie's text message requesting the car, and within game files.
The GTA Chinatown Wars rendition retains the Monte Carlo influences, leaning more towards the design of the GTA San Andreas rendition, although it is far shorter than both its previous renditions. Its wide headlights echo the double headlights of the GTA IV rendition.
In GTA IV, a Bucanneer is requested as part of Stevie's Car Thefts, with a uniquely candy maroon and black body color. As a new Bucanneer will respawn at the same spot until the player delivers one to S&M Auto Sales, the player can save one at their safehouse before delivering another.
Modifications (GTA San Andreas)
Despite its lowrider-like appearance, the Buccaneer in GTA San Andreas can only be modified at TransFender, which nevertheless offers a wide range of customizations for the car. The Buccaneer is one of only a handful of vehicles with all available options (not to be confused with available parts) open.
Italicized pricing denotes prices at the Las Venturas TransFender, which charges 20% more except Colors.
- Due to the low height of its driver's seat in GTA San Andreas, the player will kick the car's occupant when stealing the car.
- Although the GTA IV rendition is an Albany car, its steering wheel bears a Declasse emblem.
- The Buccaneer in GTA IV shares engine and horn sounds with Virgo.
- Upon completion of Stevie's Car Thefts in GTA IV, the Bucanneer may be sold at his garage for $1,800.
- In GTA IV, an early Bucanneer design with a simplified radiator single headlights akin to those of the GTA San Andreas rendition can be found on a "Sunny B Auto Body Shop" business sign.
- The Buccaneer plays the following radio stations by default when entered:
- The Buccaneer is the first vehicle available to the player to steal in GTA Chinatown Wars.
- GTA San Andreas
- A gang car of the Da Nang Boys, only found in Easter Basin and Garver Bridge region in San Fierro (along with the Tampa).
- Can spawn anywhere when the "junk traffic" cheat is activated.
- GTA IV
- Sometimes spawn in Beachgate, Firefly Island and Hove Beach (Broker).
- Rarely spawn in Boulevard, Fortside, Bohan Industrial, Little Bay, Northern Gardens and South Bohan (Bohan).
- Very rarely spawn in North Holland, Northwood, Star Junction, Presidents City (Algonquin), Schottler and Beechwood City (Broker).