|Games:||GTA IV |
The Lost and Damned
The Ballad of Gay Tony
GTA Chinatown Wars
Meadows Park, Dukes (2009 - present)
East Island City, Dukes (2009 - present)
|Leader:||Gerry McReary (incarcerated)|
|Type:||Irish-American crime syndicate|
|Affiliations:||Pegorino Family (formerly)|
Elizabeta Torres (formerly)
|Colors:||Green and black|
|Fronts:||Steinway Beer Garden|
|Members:||Derrick McReary (†) (player's choice) |
Bucky Sligo (formerly) †
Aiden O'Malley (formerly) †
Michael Keane †
The Irish refers to an Irish-American criminal organization headed by the McReary Family and based throughout Liberty City in Grand Theft Auto IV and Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars. They operate in Dukes and formerly the West Side in Purgatory, Algonquin.
In GTA Chinatown Wars, the Irish criminal presence in Liberty City is known as the Irish American Killers, presumably serving as a direct successor to the McReary crime family.
The Irish used to be a powerful force in Liberty City, but its influence has diminished greatly as of late. The gang controls Purgatory in Algonquin, as well as most of Broker, but the expansion of the Italian Mafia and Russian Bratva encroached on their empire. Also, most of the gang members have a tendency to spend their money on drugs, alcohol, and women rather than saving it and using it to expand the family's interests. As a result, the gang consists of mostly hired guns.
Gerry has been in and out of prison over the years, significantly damaging any stability the gang hoped to maintain. With Gerry back in prison, the leadership has fallen mostly on Patrick McReary ("Packie"), the youngest of the family. Under Packie's control, the gang has been reduced to hired mercenaries for the Pegorino Family, working for the incompetent Ray Boccino, or dealing drugs for Elizabeta Torres. Other members include a former Provisional IRA member named Derrick McReary, the eldest brother, who has been crippled by heroin addiction. He was in charge of the gang but quickly relinquished control to Gerry, and has since alienated former members Bucky Sligo and Aiden O'Malley by allegedly giving them up to the Liberty City Police Department.
Currently, the gang is involved in armed robbery, extortion, kidnapping, murder, drug dealing, and vehicle hijacking. Other members include Michael Keane and Gordon Sargent. The gang is also discredited by the fact that one of the McReary brothers, Francis, is ambitiously pursuing the job of Commissioner of Police. Such a connection is greatly damaging to the reputation of both parties, and are a very strong and powerful mob.
Niko Bellic also works as a hired gun for the Irish. He was introduced to Packie through a mutual friend, drug kingpin Elizabeta Torres.
In the Drug Dealing minigame in GTA Chinatown Wars, they sell Acid and buy Ecstasy through their drug dealers around Steinway. They also carry Uzis
- Mr. McReary - Founder and original Boss (Deceased)
- Derrick McReary - Second Boss (Deceased; depending player's choice)
- Gerald McReary - Third Boss (Arrested)
- Packie McReary - Fourth Boss (Determinant)
- Michael Keane - Enforcer (Deceased)
- Gordon Sargent - Enforcer
- Bucky Sligo - former member (Deceased)
- Aiden O'Malley - former member (Deceased)
- Niko Bellic - Hired gun and Family friend
- Kate McReary - Sister of The McReary Family (Determinant)
- Elizabeta Torres - Drug Dealer and Packie's business associate (Arrested)
- Maureen McReary - Mother of the McReary Family
- Ray Boccino - Caporegime of The Pegorino crime Family (Deceased)
- Steve - Vehicle Dealer
- Jimmy Pegorino - Don of The Pegorino crime Family (Deceased)
In GTA IV, the Irish drive modified Übermacht Oracles. In GTA Chinatown Wars, members can be seen driving green and orange roofed Bobcats and Burritos (which also have ladders).
- The Irish Mafia own the two Irish pubs in Liberty City; Steinway Beer Garden and Lucky Winkles.
- Some of its members are used in One for All, Cops n Crooks.
- The gang's favorite radio stations are Liberty Rock Radio 97.8 and Liberty City Hardcore.
- The McReary Mob is mostly likely partly based off of The Westies, which were a real life Irish American criminal organization. Just like the Irish Mafia, the Westies operated in Hells Kitchen, which Purgatory is based off of. The Westies too, eventually lost influence in Hells Kitchen due to gentrification, just as the McReary Mob did. The major members of the Westies were also jailed or killed, similar to the McReary Mob.