"Military issue M60s. Now found as a weapon of choice for well funded private militias."
-Vice City Bureau of Investigation file description.
The M60 is a family of American general purpose long range machine guns. It appears in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories, making an appearance as a heavy weapon, alongside the Minigun and the rocket launcher. In comparison to other firearms, the M60 in both games is a devastating weapon, usually killing in one shot, and destroying vehicles in a small burst of shots. It is arguably one of the best automatics available to the player, however the slow fire rate makes it slightly weaker than the Minigun. The M60 is actually the most effective firearm against police helicopters, capable to downing one within 36 rounds unlike all other firearms (including the Minigun), which require 176 rounds to destroy such a helicopter.
- It appears in GTA Vice City and GTA Liberty City Stories as the original M60. Its bipod has been folded and the box magazine is not inserted. Instead, the bullet belt drapes off the gun.
- GTA Vice City
- Little Haiti - Available to buy from Phil's Place after completion of Boomshine Saigon ($8,000).
- Fort Baxter Air Base - In the west guard tower (Use the Cop Uniform to get in and out unharmed).
- In the mission Phnom Penh '86, the player is given an M60 that they can keep after passing the mission.
- GTA Liberty City Stories
- Francis International Airport, Shoreside Vale - On roof of a hangar close to a ramp.
- Spawns at each safehouse upon completing all 20 rampages.
- The M60 was originally included in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas; existing files can be found in the PS2 version.
- Victor Vance, the protagonist of GTA Vice City Stories, is gunned down by a hitman armed with an M60 in 1986.
- In the iOS and Android versions of GTA Vice City, the M60 cannot be manually aimed, but can be automatically aimed instead, like with the Ruger and M4. This makes the M60 valuable in the final mission, where the player can take advantage of the M60's auto-aiming ability to kill Lance Vance before he flees to the rooftop of the Vercetti Estate.
Toni Cipriani holding an M60.