Ganton is a stronghold of the Grove Street Families, as Grove Street is located here, and is populated by many Grove Street Family gang members. These include Carl Johnson, Sweet and Ryder. Former residents at the beginning of GTA San Andreas include Beverly and Brian Johnson (both deceased) and Big Smoke (who moved to Idlewood).
Ganton is depicted as a crack-ridden ghetto with small houses. In Grove Street, there is a large presence of Grove Street Families members, hookers and drug dealers. There are many low-class businesses and stores and cheap cars. The district seems to be void of landmarks, and the only real landmark is the sewer near the district which is supposed to symbolize the Los Angeles River.
Events of GTA San Andreas
Ganton is the main stronghold of the Grove Street Families, but begins to come under increasing pressure from Ballas gang members, hoping to take the area for the Ballas. This is facilitated by Big Smoke, Ryder and B Dup, who are secretly aligned with the Ballas. Drugs have become a problem in Ganton, mainly through Smoke and Ryder buying drugs off Mike Toreno, T-Bone Mendez and Jizzy B. (the Loco Syndicate).
Ganton eventually falls into the hands of the Ballas gang after Carl Johnson is taken to Whetstone by C.R.A.S.H. and Sweet is arrested and imprisoned. The Grove Street Families disband with no leader, although former gang members continue to wear the green. They more than likely continue to reside in Ganton, although they are not visible on the streets during Carl and Sweet's absence. The former Grove Street Family gang members, under the influence of Big Smoke, co-operate with the Ballas and Los Santos Vagos.
Carl and Sweet (released via Mike Toreno) later return to Ganton, which is in disarray due to the influx of drugs. They re-claim Ganton as Grove Street territory (re-establishing the gang), and use Ganton as a base for invading other districts (such as Idlewood). Ganton, along with the rest of Los Santos, is later plagued by riots following the acquittal of Frank Tenpenny, although Carl and Sweet manage to 'lock-down' Grove Street, and bring stability to Ganton as a whole. Ganton serves as the place of death for Tenpenny, who crashes a Fire Truck over a bridge and into Grove Street.
|Carl Johnson||Until 1987
|Born in the Johnson House and lived there until the death of his brother Brian in 1987 but returned in 1992 to attend the funeral of his mother. Later forced by C.R.A.S.H. to move to Whetstone but later returns with help from Mike Toreno.|
|Sweet||Unknown||Born in the Johnson House and moved into the house next door. Later imprisoned and removed from Ganton but returns with help from Carl Johnson and Mike Toreno.|
|Kendl Johnson||Until 1992||Born in the Johnson House and continued living there until 1992 when she is forced to leave the city and lives in Angel Pine with boyfriend Cesar Vialpando, before moving to San Fierro to help Carl Johnson with his run down garage. Later returns to Los Santos but moves to El Corona with Vialpando.|
|Brian Johnson||Until 1987||Born in the Johnson House and continued living there until his death in 1987.|
|Beverly Johnson||Until 1992||Lived in the Johnson House for an unknown amount of time until her death in 1992.|
|Ryder||Until 1992||Lived in his home in Grove Street for an unknown amount of time until his death at the hands of Carl Johnson while attempting to return to Los Santos.|
|Big Smoke||Unknown||Lived in Ganton for an unknown amount of time until moving to his new house in Idlewood, believed to be in early 1992, later moves to East Los Santos.|
|B Dup||Until 1992||Lived in Ganton for an unknown amount of time, known to live in an apartment with Big Bear, until 1992 when he moved to Glen Park.|
|Big Bear||Until 1992
|Lived in Ganton for an unknown amount of time, known to live in an apartment with B Dup, until 1992 when he moved to Glen Park, later leaves Glen Park and returns to Ganton.|
|Denise Robinson||Unknown||Lived in her house in Ganton for an unknown period of time.|
|OG Loc||Unknown||Lived in Ganton, at an unknown location, for an unknown period of time, seen to host a party in Grove Street.|
- The Johnson House, a safehouse that includes access to a video game.
- Sweet's house; a basketball court adjoins the house.
- Ryder's house.
- OG Loc's house.
- Denise Robinson's house.
- Binco, a clothing shop.
- Ganton Gym
- Ten Green Bottles, a bar where pool and arcade games can be played. A vending machine for drinks is also available outside to replenish the player's health.
- 98¢ Store
- Barber Salon
- Carniceria Panaderia
- Dollar Discount
- Laundry Cleaners
- Liquor Mart
- Live Nude Girls Girls Girls
- Pawn Shop
- U.S. Mail
- Brass Knuckles: Under the overpass next to Ryder's house.
- Camera: On the second floor of the Johnson House.
- Micro Uzi: Under the bridge adjacent to Sweet's house.
- Pistol: Behind the second house down from Sweet's house.
- Shovel: Behind Ryder's house.
- Spray Can: On top of the Pawn Shop, and in the Johnson House after completing "Tagging Up Turf".
- TEC 9: On top of Sweet's house.
- Rewards spawned in the Johnson House's kitchen after spraying over all tags:
- BMX: On the north side of the Grove Street cul-de-sac.
- Boxville (Black): Between the apartment south of Ganton Gym. Activates "Burglar"
- Greenwood: Sweet's car, located in front of his house at the Grove Street cul-de-sac.
- Hustler: Denise Robinson's car, located in front of her house.
- Hydra: Spawns on top of Sweet's house after 100% completion.
- Picador: Ryder's car that spawns beside his house.
- Rhino: Spawns under the bridge to and from the Grove Street cul-de-sac after 100% completion.
- Police Bribe (appears in the alley east of the Johnson house)