Wrong Side of the Tracks
|Wrong Side of the Tracks|
Carl Johnson and Big Smoke talking about the meeting between the Los Santos Vagos and the San Fierro Rifa at Unity Station.
|Game||GTA San Andreas|
|Target||Los Santos Vagos gangsters|
|Location||Idlewood, Los Santos|
|Unlocked by||Running Dog|
Wrong Side of the Tracks is a mission in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas given to protagonist Carl "CJ" Johnson by secondary antagonist and high-ranking Grove Street Families member Melvin "Big Smoke" Harris, under inspiration from the primarily antagonistic C.R.A.S.H. team, from his house in Idlewood, Los Santos.
Carl visits Smoke after some time, where again, C.R.A.S.H. officers Frank Tenpenny and Edward "Eddie" Pulaski are seen leaving the house, this time from the garage, where Smoke is also seen. Carl has a brief argument with the two and then turns to Smoke, who asks him for help to drive him to Unity Station.
Once there, Carl and Smoke proceed, on the latter's instructions, to witness a meeting between the Los Santos Vagos and the San Fierro Rifa. Feeling cheated as the meeting gets over, Smoke asks Carl to help him chase and cap down the Vagos, which they do with the help of a Sanchez parked nearby. Finally, they manage to kill the Vagos, and Carl drives Smoke back to Idlewood, wherein, on the way back, they have a conversation about the drug problem in the city.
(Carl is outside Smoke's house. Tenpenny and Pulaski come out of Smoke's garage with Smoke still inside it as they greet Carl.)
Tenpenny: Hey, Carl, keeping busy, I hope.
CJ: You know me, Officer Tenpenny.
Tenpenny: Yeah, I know you, Carl. I know everything about you.
CJ: Don't touch me. (murmurs) Get you pig hands off me...
Tenpenny: That's right, Carl, I got my eye on you.
CJ: And? Like I give a fuck.
Pulaski: We're watching you, Carl! (throws his cigarette at Carl.)
(Tenpenny and Pulaski leave. Smoke comes out of his garage.)
Big Smoke: What was that all about, baby?
CJ: You tell me.
Big Smoke: Aw hell, man, they got their nose in everything. Can't shit without Tenpenny taking an interest. The hell with him.
CJ: Yeah, I guess. What's really up?
Big Smoke: Hey, thinking of taking a little ride. Three deep mentioned a little something that might put us deeper in the game.
CJ: A'ight, I'm down. (they get in the car) Where to, Smoke?
Big Smoke: Unity Station!
(Carl and Smoke pull up at Unity Station.)
CJ: What we looking for, Smoke?
Big Smoke: Some Vagos cats meeting some San Fierro Rifa, cutting some kind of deal.
CJ: San Fierro? I thought Northern Mexicans don't mix with Los Santos eses.
Big Smoke: Shit, you got me.
CJ: That look like them!
Big Smoke: Mother-fuckers clocked us!
(Four Vagos gang members jump on top of a train leaving the station.)
Big Smoke: We got to get these fools! (they start chasing the Vagos on a Sanchez) C'mon CJ, we gotta ice these fools. Roll up on them, CJ, so I can get a shot! (if they proceed past the railway crossing in Jefferson) Aww, look, the train! (after crossing through the tunnel, if needed) Take that path on the right!
(Smoke manages to kill the Vagos. They now head back to his house.)
CJ: Was it always like this?
Big Smoke: Was what always like this?
CJ: Always fucked up around here? Or is it because of the drugs?
Big Smoke: Ae, ae, don't ask a wise man, friend, ask a fool!
CJ: That's what I was doing.
Big Smoke: Well, if you making this thing personal, I ain't sticking on it no more.
(Carl and Smoke are outside Smoke's house.)
Big Smoke: Hey, you better clear out, CJ. I don't want those C.R.A.S.H. fools trying to pull you into some shit!
CJ: Alright, homie. You be careful with those cats. I'm gonna see you later.
The reward for this mission is respect, and the mission Just Business is unlocked.
Make your way to Unity Station with Smoke. When you get there, some Los Santos Vagos members will hop on the top of the train as it rides off. Quickly, jump on the Sanchez provided for you. Chase the train and ride up next to it and Smoke will start to shoot the gang members. Make sure all the gang members are killed before they reach the Frederick Bridge. After they are all dead, drive Smoke back to Los Santos and the mission will be complete.
- In the beta, the mission was supposedly to grab a package after the Los Santos Vagos are killed but it was cut before release. The same way, the beta had dialogue about Carl questioning Smoke over the package, which would have almost exposed his betrayal.
- Oddly, in the mission Local Liquor Store, Carl complains about Catalina shooting so close to his ear, but he doesn't do it to Smoke, presumably as he is closer to Smoke and the fact that Smoke generally aims the gun higher, limiting the noise.
- The name of the mission may be based on the phrase "the wrong side of the tracks", meaning a poor area of a city.
- If the player abandons the Sanchez after killing the Vagos, it will still appear in the mission's final cutscene.
- This mission is infamous among gamers for Big Smoke's famous line if the mission is failed: "All we had to do was follow the damn train, CJ!" It has become a bit of an Internet meme as a result. In the popular video game Minecraft exists a splash screen which says "Follow the train, CJ!".
- Wong Side of the Tracks- a side-mission in Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories with a similar name
|PC Version - GTASeriesVideos|